Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Rose-Tinted Mirror

Rose-Tinted Mirror is a gentle little pick me up that will help remind you of all that’s radiant about you, inside and out. There’s a sensual aspect that will assist in reconnecting you with the joys of your own body, and a heart-healing aspect that will assist you in pushing through your anxiety, grief, or fear so that you can open yourself up more freely to joy again. You are beautiful, you deserve happiness.

Rose otto, red benzoin, mallow, amber resinoid, CO2 extract of orris root, balm of gilead, frankincense, honey absolute, and violet leaf. Please note: this oil contains honey and is not vegan.

In the bottle: Gentle, powdery rose with some kind of dry resin notes in it and the faintest whiff of honey. On, wet: The orris root starts to gently peek out, along with soft crushed violet petals and a general low-key floral-shop note. Drydown: After a few hours I'm left with a super-clean almost spa-like dried rose petals and vaguely dry blend of resins and other dried florals. Really a very gentle and calming scent.

(I'm reviewing this as a scent, because ultimately, that's how I plan to use it. The intent it has is best served to me as a scent, & not just a feeling aspect)

In The Bottle: I am no good at this game & all my mum said is "flowery." She said it with concern though, like I wasn't sure what I was getting into. I was wearing it out for my birthday & it was the one she chose out of the three options she was offered (I had just received my order.... on a Sunday..... what kind of black magic..... anyway....).

Wet: Pretty, I can smell the honey & the frankincense (I always find that). I can smell the lovely green of the violet leaf in there as well with an undercurrent of the benzoin. Also, I can't help but notice there may be rose in this. 

Dry: Yeah, I am pretty sure this MAY have rose in it. This is not a knock on it for me, but for those of you who do not like rose, you MAY not enjoy this if you amp rose. I usually do not. So, that has been a bummer in some other BPAL scents with rose as I like rose. It was there, but I kind of had to "listen" for it. This? No. It slapped me in the face like a kinky Valentine & it DEFINITELY called me pretty. It is not the rose of my elders, it is more a soft, sensual rose as the honey is still there to stop that powdery tip over. This also stays free of scents from days past because of that background greenery that just warms you up. The Balm of Gilead, Franky, & the violet leaf. All quietly humming a little green tune in the back. The benzoin helped pull them all together a bit more & I think it maybe what shut down the orris so much (usually that's a huge floral on me) & it barely showed up. Maybe as this ages.

Wear: Well, it's about 12 hours later & it's still insisting on explaining it has rose in it. But all that is left in the bar with it, is frankincense.

Throw: Right now? No clue! For the first 2 hours... no real clue, but the whole house smelled like roses & "a hidden Christmas tree." I don't think my mum knows what Gilead smells like (maybe to some extent the benzoin), but she can obviously smell it more than me. Once we got to where we were going, a solid 6 feet. We were outside at one point to watch the ISS fly over & one of the people who said I smelled pretty was at an appropriate social distance & could smell me.

Final thoughts: I like it. As arose scent that is properly rose, it's very nice. I got told three times (bar my family) I smelled pretty, so WIN! It definitely met the "gentle pick me" & "sensuous aspect." I'd like to hope that maybe some of the other things will happen with a few more outings of it (deserving happiness, especially). I could use that.

(Sorry this was so long. I'm still awake & I really do like it, so I thought I'd try to be a better reviewer.)

Edited by TheLampades
wording clarification

I've loved this scent from the first moment I got to smell some.

It absolutely does it's intended job.... mellowed me out.. a bit of cost, self comfort, a bit of gentle uplift. Heart healing, anxiety softening.
Making everything a bit smoother and easier to handle.

In bottle:
I get tea roses, but also an equal first huff of furry, musk, like there's a familiar peeking up at you from the bottle.
Right away, the violet leaf and benzoin, and frankinsence.
Wet: 
tea rose, violet leaf, and amber and benzoin... everyone's playing so well together in the pool. 

Dry down: 
the amber ramps up and says hello for me, balanced by the honey and benzoin, lingering with the violet and tea rose as she fades.....

Really lovely..... and really mellowing. I love this heart's ease of a scent. 

In the bottle: Cool, powdery rose and something almost aquatic. 

Wet on my skin: It's strong but gentle, cool, powdery tea rose with some honey, benzoin, and still something a little glassy and aquatic. 

Dry: This scent is gentle, but very present. It's got a pretty good amount of throw, not something you have to really lean in and sniff like some of the "calming" scents tend to be. Rose-tinted honey dust with gently floral mallow and soft violet leaf, with a gentle, shimmery benzoin-frankincense-balsamic resin layered over/around it. I think the balsamic note is from the balm of Gilead, which I'm not otherwise familiar with. Powdery, but not like baby powder. It's a fairly "antique" feeling scent, like a comforting hug from a favourite grandmother. Pink and gold and feathery white, and very pretty. I really like this, and it actually does make me feel a little better, whether from the soothing frankincense or the power of the words attached to it. 

Rose is one of the notes I usually do not like (violet too). I took a chance on this one anyways because of the description. No regrets. It is rose, but it is gentle and sweet honeyed rose. It's beautiful and comforting. 

I don't get rose from this at all, just the resins and what I think is mallow. It smells a bit nutty to me (as in nut-like). Not something I dislike, but not something I'd reach for to wear if this were a perfume. But it does make me feel comforted and mellow when I put it in my oil burner, which is what I hoped it'd do. 

I get a ton of violet leaf from this, sweetened by some honey, but then I get a ton of powdery orris along with it before it settles down into a powdery rose scent on me.

Bright Goddess of the Skies resonates with me more scent-wise and intent-wise, so I'll be passing on my decant.