Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Gloom Meeting

I am in that small group of people that really enjoys vetiver, and I have always gotten along well with oakmoss and sandalwood of every variety, so I had high hopes for this scent and I was not at all disappointed.

This is not scorched, smoky vetiver - it's quite mild and smooth - but if you are not a fan, this probably won't change your mind. The sandalwood is the most prominent note, and it's very dry. I don't know if "sweet" is really the descriptive I want for the oakmoss, but it counters the dryness of the sandalwood with something that's almost powdery. If I spray it on my skin, it starts to develop a craft store soap whiff to it, but in my hair it stays dry and woody. And unlike the other hair glosses I've tried so far, the scent really lasts - I've had it in for several hours and I can still smell it clearly.

ETA six weeks later: This is a lot less "sweet" now, and the vetiver is a lot more noticeable on first spray. The rest still stands, though - it's not scorched or vegetal, and the sandalwood is still the most prominent once the scent settles.

Edited by marared
update

On me, this is one sweet oakmoss! White sandalwood is the driest of the various types, and the dryness does help ground the oakmoss and keep it balanced. I'm not getting much vetiver here, this is all sweet oakmoss and sandalwood. 

This is clean and light, with kind of a soapy/powdery quality to it, like a nice high-end shampoo. Totally appropriate for a hair product. Inoffensive, gently woodsy and totally unisex. The scent is familiar to me and I can't place it. It kind of reminds me a bit of Skin So Soft, or something in the neighborhood. 

I was hoping for a bit more growl from the vetiver and less soapy-clean, but this is still nice. If you are a fan of oakmoss you should be pretty pleased with it. 

Oakmoss and sandalwood! Can’t seem to sniff out the vetiver... at all.

This one isn’t much of a morpher; what I smell on initial spray vs. after it dries is the same. 

The oakmoss is absolutely on the sweet (and clean!) side, and it doesn’t seem to fade for a few hours. 

i get a lot of oakmoss with some sandalwood backing it up. it's very fresh smelling, and because of the oakmoss, this has a vintage feel to it. after awhile it gets fairly soapy, and i get maybe a tiny hint of vetiver, but this is primarily oakmoss.

Mossy sandalwood, very fresh and green. Perfect for autumn, and if you're a swamp creature, this would be for you. 

Vetiver & Oakmoss, sitting in a Sandalwood tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g! 

Sweet plants, smelling good together.  This is a greener blend than my usual preferences, but dry enough to work for me.  The fragrance is strong when first applied, & dries down to a medium throw. I tend to reach for my bottle when it's sunny. 

I love this but did not expect to. It’s a perfect blend of oakmoss and vetiver. Reminds me of a classic chypre type fragrance without anything sweet or floral to take it to a basic perfume. In my mind, it’s like a blank slate to complement most of my other scents.