Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Please Scream Inside Your Haunted House

In the bottle: cedar, PSIYH's funnel cakes, and a sort of boozy background tinge?

On wet: cedar, cedar, FRESH-CUT CEDARWOOD, then a surge of sweetness so it's sugar-dusted cedar, VERY strong. Yikes.

Dry: Oh thank god, the cedar has faded down. It's like an old, well-worn piece of furniture filled with churros now. I can still detect the cedar but it's much, much fainter. The most prominent note on me now is cinnamon-sugar.

Freshly applied this is sawdust and raisin cinnamon toast.  I don't amp cedar so while it's certainly around I don't get a whole lot of it. I do get piles of cinnamon though.

To me this is (appropriately) a prop carnival haunted house just off the midway rather than a stately manor that happens to be filled with funnel cake. But also there's a lot of cinnamon.

Edited by patina

Cedar, woods, and cinnamon batter. This is basically a cinnamon + woods blend on me. Great throw and wear length.

Wowza. This was the surprise, runaway hit of the Weenie collection. 

Wet: Dry cinnamon and sawdust. Smells like Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon, if you've ever tried it. Delicious, and I'm not even that big of a cinnamon fan! 

Dry: The cinnamon calms down and becomes more balanced baking spices, with the cedar and sawdust that almost smells like the wood from a home under construction, before the drywall goes up. This is also the closest I get to smelling funnel cake from any of the PSIYH blends - the rest smell like straight up churros to me, but THIS one...

It's amazing. I love it! Backup bottling this one. 

Sawdust woodsy funnel cakes, which sounds way pleasanter than you can imagine. The wood and sawdust are stronger than the funnel cake note to me. I was a little hesitant to try this even though I love Please Scream Inside Your Heart because I'm not a big fan of wood notes, but this works really well and keep the funnel cake from being completely foodie; It just adds a little sweetness. 

Dry and sweet cedar sawdust and cinnamon. I agree with @crisz- definitely Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon! Like a very subtle, toned-down Tombstone. 

Quite pretty, but it reminds me of hamsters! Hamsters in a Penzey's box :think:

Side note: I have some skin sensitivity with cinnamon blends, but didn't have any issues here.

Wet: Echoing the previous reviews - sawdust and cinnamon toast.

Dry: Cinnamon-dusted sawdust crunch. More of that cinnamon toast scent than sawdust now.

If you're looking for a blend of wood and cinnamon.. look no further! 

My haunted house must have had a fire at some point because the wood here has sustained some smoke damage. I get a sweet, blackened wood note with cinnamon & a bit of syrup. Maybe this is a teakwood heavy version? No fresh cut cedar here (dad was a carpenter so I actually dig the smell of sawdust, but I'm not sensing it either). It gets more foody as it dries but I'm not loving it.

Edited by alterosen

I love BPAL scent descriptions that cause me to  have a Very Specific Scent Memory Association and here’s one!  Going to Frontier City in OKC back in the day when they had Fright Fest going on, and standing in line forever to get into their rad haunted house, but it was OK cause the air was perfumed with funnel cakes and other deep-fried fair delicacies. So how is the actual perfume? PSIYHH is quite cinnamony, which I don’t really associate with funnel cakes but it doesn’t sound BAD does it? Sprinkle that bad boy with cinnamon sugar straight out of the fryer? Gonna give it a minute for the cinnamon to calm down...once it does (slightly), I get a bit of cedar. But it’s clear the cinnamon is really not going anywhere. And there’s a bit of maple as well? So rather than the buttery fried dough and powdered sugar I was expecting, we get pancakes with cinnamon sugar, which is cool, just different.

Bottle received in swap. 

In the bottle: Mostly funnel cakes, with a hint of the dang of cedar and just the evocation of sawdust. Like, it feels sawdusty, even though I cannot say the sawdust has a specific scent. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's definitely very woody, a lot like the Celestial Jupiter was on me, though Please Scream Inside Your Haunted House is much softer in its woodsiness. As it dries, the funnel cakes come back out, so it's a lovely mix of sweetness and just a little fried cake and soft, dusty woods. 

Given more time to develop, the funnel cake becomes the top player, with the woods just barely detectable on me. I suspect the woods are mainly acting to cut the sweetness of the funnel cake because such notes are apt to become cloying on me, and this one is not. 

While I don't like this as much as I like Please Scream Inside Your Snake Oil, I do like this a lot more than I thought I would. Enough that I am definitely keeping this bottle. Enough that I'm probably done testing and reviewing scents for today because I just want to keep smelling like Please Scream Inside Your Haunted House. :)

Edit 9/5/2021 -- Turns out I had occasion to don mosquito repellant shortly after I finished reviewing this. Although I tried to avoid where I applied the perfume, that seems to have been sufficient to overwhelm the scent, suggesting that it may be a short-lived and/or skin-close scent on me. But that is definitely something I can find out with future wearings. 

Edited by torischroeder9

Boy howdy if I was guessing blind I would have thought this had a nice rooty patchouli in it underneath the funnel cakes. Maybe some rum? I really dig this one. Getting a minor skin tingle from it, assuming there's a touch of cinnamon.

Edited by LavenderCoffee

-French toast from fancy, eggy bread?
– Ultra-luxe crème brûlée bread pudding?
-A floral, cedary thing? A sweet breakfast casserole, plated on a fragrant wooden tray, served with a spray of lilac?
-Tobacco? leather? Eating the above in parlor while your uncle oils his saddle nearby with an unlit pipe clamped between his teeth?
-At the very backside…ivy and green tea? Maybe? There is a lot going on with this one! A lot of loveliness, but still…a lot.
-To sum up, this is a delectable morning meal in a very charming and efficiently run haunted bed and breakfast which also happens to have a stable nearby.