Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

In Night When Colors All to Black Are Cast

An inner darkness: ink-black vegetal musk, opoponax, velvet myrrh, nagarmotha, black champa, labdanum, and plum honey.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Sniff: I'm immediately reminded of the dark plum in Crimson Peak's A Shadow in the Elevator. Is that violet?

Wearing: This is a dead ringer for A Shadow in the Elevator, but lighter: less earthy no patchouli or oud here. Very seet and nice, for scent from a poem about fear and projection.

Wearing and reading notes: maybe I've fooled myself into thinking there's plum because of the plum honey? Anyway, this is very sweet, sheer and purple-black. I feared the champa as a death note but it doesn't seem to be going off. I might actually like it a little more than A Shadow.

This hole scent was made for me.

Edited by patina

This reminds me of Mircalla, Countess Karnstein - which I like but is way too feminine for me to wear regularly. (I'm also not sure what the overlap is besides musk, but that's red musk vs whatever musk is in here.) Dark, heavy, and purple, and far too much. I might let this sit for a while and see what happens with the champa/myrrh situation, which is a combo I love. But the musk and honey could be teaming up to make this a no-go for me.

I'm already planning to put it in a bath bomb though.

Edited by trinitysite
grammar

Oh I just love this. Deep, resiny, thick. Don't detect any plum honey, and honey usually amps on my skin. A dark sweetness, but I think the musk keeps it from going too sweet. Not at all powdery or sickly sweet. 

Fabulous! 🖤💜💙💜🖤

This scent is moody, mournful, and sensual, with a sort of interiority. It smells dusk-purple and thick.

Wet on the skin, I understand it first as a musky floral. The resins then warm and rise. The resins and floral fight for dominance for a little while, and then settle into an intoxicating, languorous blend.

During the dry down, the scent of beeswax-laced honey rises to blend with the resins as the florals fade. As

@forspecial_plate noted, this all has an incense-like effect. 

Lovely. I think I'll be wearing this one frequently.

Edited by wordortwo

Myrrh, honey, musk, darkness, and a whiff of plum. This one is a darker resinous, inky black scent. Medium throw and wear length.

2018 Weenie "When All Colors to Black Are Cast"Ink-black musk and dried blackberries, midnight opoponax and sweet labdanum.

This scent: ink-black vegetal musk, opoponax, velvet myrrh, nagarmotha, black champa, labdanum, and plum honey.

Some similar notes, for sure - the 2018 scent didn't work well on me, but I couldn't resist trying this one out.

Wet: Sweetened myrrh; sweetened by the plum honey, maybe? There's some of the black musk in the background, but as long as it stays there, we're good.

Dry: Myrrh is still the star of the show.  🎵It's been myrrh, all along!🎵  I really enjoy myrrh, but this is borderline single note myrrh on me + some added sweetness.

Okay, I absolutely LOVE this. This is like a purple version of Madame Moriarty on my skin. Lots of juicy plum, with some resinous notes to support it. 

I normally don't allow myself to buy backup bottles. But I may buy a backup bottle to age it, this is that good. 

I had to have this one when I saw it.  It screams "me."  The only thing missing here is patchouli.

This is a gorgeous scent.  Dark and purple-black feeling with layers of soft muskiness, resins and warm, darkly fruity honey.  It's so perfectly blended that it's nearly impossible to pick out the notes.  This kind of scent is what drew me to BPAL in the first place.

This reminds me of Panther Moon, a bit, though they don't smell the same.  There's a similar feel to them that I'm loving.

I'm just a little obsessed with "In Night When Colors All to Black Are Cast". This is such a beautiful and distinctive fragrance, i'm getting whiffs of elegant resin and musks that are strangely intoxicating. Sexy, gothic and dare I say, moody. All the notes swirl together into a kind of melancholy elixir, fragile yet powerful, like a doomed romance.
As the scent dries down, the distinct, sweet and smooth myrrh is serenaded by the juicy plum and a touch of earthiness from the nagarmotha. A sudden tenderness hits, like the bittersweet solitude we have all been a part of, the dark folds of words left unspoken. Is the essence something just sitting upon the skin, or has it somehow sunk underneath and become part of me? 

Edited by Jenjin

Oh goodness, this one is amazing. I crave the smell. I could swear patchouli was in it, but I don't see it listed. Perhaps it is the vegetal musk giving that lovely, earthy smell. & it mixes so well with the myrrh & opoponax. This scent is rich, warm, comforting, masculine, & has an incense smell to it.

Edited by Rane.
*typos

Darkly sweet, succulent blackberries. OMG how gorgeous. The berry note is juicy and true, and the opoponax and labdanum are the perfect incense backdrop. Going on my buy-bottle list  If you like sweet resins and fruit, definitely don’t pass this one up!

This is such a deep, mysterious, velvety dark scent.  The plum honey is neither too fruity nor too sweet. The incense is gloriously rich. Myrrh is one of my favorite anchoring notes, and it is particularly beautiful here. The nagarmotha -- similar to patchouli, from what I can find -- gives it an earthiness, contrasting with the wispy dark musk. This is how midnight should smell.

The lab does these melancholy, dark purple, resin/incense scents so well, and this is an excellent realization of that theme.

Initial thought: MUSK. I'm brought down to the basement magic/head shop downtown in the old market - you know the sort, where the old school goths sell bottles of hot sauce next to dusty dragon figurines.

I can pick up the nagarmotha, which I wasn't previously familiar with but think I can identify it after reading about it. It reminds me of incense in an Indian grocer. The champa definitely contributes to that sentiment.

As it dries down, a wee bit of sweetness comes out to play, and I swear there's a bit of fruitiness as well, so there's the plum honey.

Apparently opponax is also known as sweet myrrh, so I'm unsure on how that differs from "velvet myrrh."

Unfortunately, 1) this scent doesn't seem to last very long, and 2) my partner doesn't like it.

Maybe this will be my secret alone time comfort. I'm a fan of the complexity.

Coming back to this, aged 1 year. It is so slippery, resinous, & dark brown with rivulets of resinous oils swirling in it after I stir it up. The deepest musk, with oily resins, black champaca flower singing shyly, & I finally get the plum honey note. There is also a breath-like quality in the opoponax slowly coming out thru it all, something like air or incense smoke.

Edited by Rane.

I loved this scent at first and still do however, I recently let it go because it got to be too much musk for me after a year of aging as musk usually does not get along with me. But otherwise this scent is amazing, I agree with the above poster that is has an oily almost jammy quality mixed in with the resins. The labdanum isn't overpowering or cola-like and the honey note isn't overly sweet but reads more plummy. A gorgeous deep purple slightly sweet scent and I wish my skin didn't amp the musk so much!

Agree with Patina, same plum as a shadow in the elevator - paired with an inky musk, a surprisingly soft opoponax, and the labdanum and honey giving this a herbal quality.