Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

From Sunset to Star Rise

Huh. I didn't expect to be the first to review this. But here we go! 

In the decant: The extra sweetness of honeysuckle in front of a myriad of other notes. It almost smells like an extra sweet lime-type sugared drink; it's bright and syrupy but not cloying. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's much the same as in the decant. As it dries, there's something soft and... less sweet than the honeysuckle or rose, but not the vetiver or the oud... that I presume is the twilit musk. It is very evocative of softly purple skies and twilight shadows. After that, the oud emerges, though it's couched in so much sweetness, there's no stank, just grounding and the distinct note of oud. I've seen "sweet oud" listed as a note elsewhere, and though it isn't listed as such here, it would be a fitting description. 

I actually like this end stage, where roses entwine over sweet oud, very much. It's soft and strong and maybe one of the few ways I can really wear rose. I'm not sure if it's going to be a bottle for me, but it ends up lovely. 

In the bottle, I agree wholeheartedly with @torischroeder9; it smells like if I had prepped some lime simple syrup for cocktails. There is an additional, deeper sweet note, which I can't 100% pin down.

I will say, I have only just recently discovered that oudh and I don't always get along. 😅 So I was nervous to actually test it on skin.

But that being said, I did apply it! 😆 It does mellow out a little and lose the sweetness a bit as it dries. The floral notes are very hard to pick out as well.

What I'm left with is a fairly deep scent, with a nice amount of a salty note. It is still sweet, but it's also very earthy, with a slightly sharp note that pokes in and out, and hints of dried wood.

I'm not sure how often I'd wear this one, but for once I have an oudh that doesn't hate me! 😂

Ay yay yay...I am getting a stinky note, not unlike when my cat expresses his anal glands...is this the oudh? As it dries, it seems to take on a sharpness that reminds me of a snapped flower stem, fresh and green and sappy. This deepens into a dark and spicy perfume, though I don't get strong honeysuckle or rose (except perhaps the stem). It's not unpleasant, even with the slight fecal note, but not quite my style.

Vetiver and oud lovers delight.

Wet- I get lots of mature vines in front of roses & oud. 

Drydown- the blend is more vetivert/oud- dark green, brown, overcast November evening in a recently reaped farmers field.

Don't miss this one. Worth a try, simply for how well it emotes this atmosphere.

Tested January 25, 2021

It's been about 5 or 6 days since I've gotten my order. The oils have settled down a bit.

Right as I opened the bottle, I got a soft musk mixed with a light honeysuckle. There was a light floral sweetness to the scent.

Once on my skin, I got a sharp rose scent. It is a really bright scent (as in, you feel the scent in the front of your face, not deeper in) I didn't get any of the musk, vetiver, or oudh. Later in the day, I got a strong honeysuckle with rose blend. It was very strong and very floral.

I never got the vetiver, or the oudh. I will try again, but right now, this blend is coming out heavy on the honeysuckle.

I really like the initial wet stage of this: very rose and honeysuckle heavy. Once it dries down, the oud and musk come out and turns the blend from a very sweet and powdery scent to a darker one.

I can barely pick out the honeysuckle now, it's just roses and oud. It also is fading pretty fast on me, within just a couple hours it's barely present on me at all.

Holding onto my decant in case aging changes it, but no bottle upgrade. If only that wet stage lasted longer :cry2:

Roses and honeysuckle on wet, and dries down the oudh and musk come out. It's basically a rose and oudh blend right now. I imagine this is what black roses smell like. Good throw and wear length.

In the imp: oudh, vetiver, and sickly honeysuckle.

Wet: Vetiver, thankfully, climbing roses, a pale musk, and the typically faecal note of oudh. 

Dry: I trusted my general good luck with vetiver and recent good luck with rose to carry this, and it didn't let me down. The honeysuckle burns off almost instantly, and the vetiver strangles pretty much every other note into submission. In the end, it's a harmonious dark blend of soft vetiver and gentle florals, warm and comforting. Medium throw, tending longer lifespan.

Stars: ★★★½

Testing an old decant. First impression is soil, which gives way to musk. The vetiver is only there if I sniff really deeply, otherwise it's melded with the oud to the point that I can't tell them apart. No rose, no honeysuckle - the two have also melded to the point that I can tell there USED to be heady florals, but they've faded into the background. Nothing fetid from the oud, either; after 3.5 years it's aged out of the barnyard stank. Extremely low throw; I have to put my nose to my skin to get any hint of the scent.

With a bit of time, the florals start to appear more strongly, but they're still not distinctively rose or honeysuckle anymore, just sweet flowers, and I can detect the green thorns/vines now as well.

Edited by marared