Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Black Licorice Smut

To best express this scent, take some regular smut and rub it all over yourself. Next get a bag of black jelly beans and shove a handful in your mouth. Chew, whilst reveling in the combined scents of both. That’s exactly what this is like. I expected to love this and I was right. 

Sugary licorice (super strong) and musk. Yup. If you love yourself some anise or licorice, give this a whirl. Great throw and wear length.

It isnt gourmand at all. The candy aspect of black licorice (which I love) is tempered by the musks. Smells like a strong herbal anise and musks. Almost shampoo like in its herbal intensity. Not at all what I was expecting, I think this actually is a bit masculine. Would be a great scent for anise fans, and definitely those who are a bit gourmand avoidant.

Edited by Missanneshirleyofgg

Well I love black licorice and apparently I love smut, too. Tested twice from a decant.

It's sweetest at the very outset, almost grapey. But once the anise comes in it completely takes over, and this is not really sweet at all! More rooty. Almost sarsaparilla. On me, it's like the good, thick Panda licorice, not the candy sweet twists. It's a sharp, high anise with great throw over a lusty, spicy base. Really nice. I just love how I smell right now.

Black Licorice Smut took about 20 minutes to settle in on my skin, but then it was exactly as advertised.  The black licorice note smells sweeter than in Dead Leaves and Black Licorice, but I think that's just because Smut is a sweeter backdrop than the leaves.  It's got good throw, something that's rare on me, and good staying power.  Sugary woozy red musk with black licorice --- if that sounds perfect to you, do not pass this up. 

This is light during the early phase, but settles into sugary Good & Plenty candies at the movie theatre when I was a kid. 😊

The licorice-anise blend is finer than that, though, so perhaps a gourmet version. Despite that, this isn't especially gourmand. The backdrop of almost-boozy sugar-musk puts this closer to gourmand-adjacent or gourmand-twisted. 

I haven't been a licorice person as an adult, but I find myself drawn to this. It's very Weenie.

You know those red anise hard candies that come wrapped in red cellophane? That's what it smells like in the imp, and wet on my skin. Strong almost straight-up anise, mouth-watering, not too sweet. It makes me want to eat a whole bunch of candy. That anise blast takes awhile to burn off. when I can catch the Smut underneath, it's a beautiful combination. Eventually it dries down to pure Smut, and since I love the original version that's great with me!

Oh my! The scent of a mouthful of black jelly beans (I love 'em) and Smut is the combination I never knew I needed. The licorice keeps Smut from wafting it's usual dirty "after sex" smell on me and keeps it a more traditional musk (is that a thing?) This one is truly bottle-worthy. Long lasting and has good throw, the way I like it!

My impression of the original Smut was simply dark sweetened musk. It's the sort of thing I like, but it's a bit flat.

Licorice Smut isn't very much different. The licorice is strong and adds more complexity, but ultimately it fades too far in the background to give this much dimension. Oh well. It's not bad at all.

In the bottle: Licorice and holy moley BOOZE. Almost as if I'd just opened a random bottle in a liquor store and started inhaling the fumes. Though maybe not something off of the bottom shelf, because it is a nicer sort of holy smokes alcohol. But man, it's strong.

Upon application: The first time I wore this I was a little alarmed that I might actually go out in public smelling like a liquor store. Then the licorice kicked in, and it settled into something really pleasant, and the licorice was nicely noticeable. Today I wore it and the cheap-floozy aura of alcohol was replaced by something that I can only describe as swarthy: just dark and rich and also smutty and naughty. Yet it actually feels a little classier than just straight up hello booze, like going into a dark nightclub that has all the best word of mouth reviews. This time, the balance of this and the black licorice felt like more of a partnership, trading off in prominence intermittently. I felt like I was going to be in for a real nice time.

At the end of the day: As much as I hoped to wander about in a cloud of licorice hedonism, it faded fairly quickly on both wearings. Today I'd swear it had faded by noon, and it's barely detectable on my wrist, now. Sadness.

WOW . This stuff does what it says on the bottle! Works exactly as advertised. In the bottle: Yep, gotcher Smut right here, along with a dark overtone of a fresh box of licorice. On, wet: BOOM in your face Smut with a fresh bagful of black licorice jellybeans, like the ones from the old Big Easter Jelly Bean mix. EXACT scent match on that one. Drydown: Yep, it's Smut, with black Easter jellybeans. Dries down long and slow, and leaves a lingering deep spicy Smutty scent. So glad I got this one. May layer with Silkybat later because I just want to and I bet it will be amazing. I know I've been saying this a lot lately but I may need a backup of this Smut. In some ways the licorice makes the Smut even dirtier than leather would! It's sexy in a very different in your face way.  Maybe getting some Anisette in the Smut boozy note as well?

The thing is I don’t even like black licorice, but I still wanted this. The sharp anise bite of the licorice pairs so well with sugary Smut, a perfect contrast to its sweetness. Love it.

This goes together so well, starts off as the boozy musky Smut and then eventually the black licorice note gets stronger. Once it's dry, I don't think either note overpowers the other. It's really good, about an average throw and staying power on me. Smut is the first of the notes to fade within a couple hours, so eventually it's just black licorice.

Not my all-time favorite from Smut-o-Ween, but a lot nicer than expected!

what an inspired combination!  the sharpish, medicinal anise is the perfect counterpoint to the sweet, musky smut.  

as it settles in, it's less SMUT + LICORICE, and more a darkly spiced, rooty-herbal smut tincture.  medicinal in the way that super-aged snake oil is medicinal.  really nice.  i'm going to have to start layering smut with more things. 

I love black licorice and anise and licorice root so this was a no-brainer for me, even tho I don't wear Smut well on its own. The black jelly bean aspect of this blend has calmed down a lot since I first got it, and I agree with MamaMoth above that it wears like a gorgeous dark rooty smut now. An unobtrusive sexy licorice scent, since the throw isn't very noticeable on me. Yum.