Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Word, this is amazing.  I am not normally a huge fan of the Lab's Dead Leaves base but certain blends really are growing on me.  This one is amazing.  In the bottle:  Strong fresh licorice and the Leaves note.  On, wet: Opens up more, and stronger, immediately, with a resurgence of licorice.  Drydown:  Actually mellows a lot during drydown; leaves become less sharp and the licorice fades into a sort of spicy veil.  Very "Fall" and very nice.

*Straight out of the mailbox 

In the bottle: Wet leaves and a slight licorice scent 

Wet on skin: Very vegetal, wet leaves are very strong and the licorice comes out right at the end. It's a subtle scent which I was not expecting. I had assumed it would really take over 

Dry: So lovely!!! A perfect blend of the namesake. The licorice has mellowed considerably into a slight spicy note, really thrilled with this scent! 

Very evocative of Samantha's of Haute Macabre's review 

Dead Leaves and a whiff of licorice. The licorice is not as strong as say in Black Licorice Smut, and is stronger on wet, and the Dead Leaves I feel are a heftier base than Smut is to licorice. It ends up a spicy, slightly anise Dead Leaves.

In the bottle, it's like a weird cocktail made with pastis and green bell pepper juice. (The dead leaves base often reads as green peppers to my nose.) It's definitely an aromatic black licorice, not the sweet kind. The wet stage is strong, heady, kind of aquatic in the way men's colognes often are. The drydown is another thing entirely, with an earthy, warmer, slightly gourmand anise vibe. I love this last phase and re-applied several times just to get to that place again. I'm going to have to try this one in a locket.

These fit together strangely well, like a grimy road strewn with wet leaves on a gray day, except the road is made of candy charcoal and all the grime is licorice, not petroleum based. This is not an especially sweet licorice. The leaves resemble those in October to me, with the same bell pepper note, except the licorice tempers them.

This isn't bad, but a little strange. I think I'd prefer it with some other note to round things out.

This is one of the two Weenies I was most excited about, the other being Black Licorice Smut.  Licorice lovers had a lot to rejoice about in this update.  I am in love with both these notes, and DL & BL does not disappoint.  Wet, it was a sharp version of the dead leaves scent, and at first I could barely make out the licorice.  But within a few minutes the licorice was there, nice and full-bodied, against the cologne of the softening dead leaves. This is kind of an earthy licorice, not a super sweet black vine -- it doesn't feel like dead leaves and candy so much as dead leaves and a natural licorice spice. The two notes balance each other really well.  I will need more of this.

Strong black licorice, and dead leaves. Definitely the licorice is stronger on wet. But yes, black licorice and dead leaves. Good throw and wear length.

Well this is exactly as advertised. Strong black licorice note and dead leaves. I do love the smell of anise, and it goes so well with the dead leaves! Really enjoying this one.

In the bottle: Dead leaves, which have an initial, peppery kick and then get back to that recently-fallen, bedewed leaf scent which this note tends to have.

Upon application: The leafy smell, pretty much, though there is an occasional whiff of licorice. As others have said, this is a more herbal sort of anise scent. If Black Licorice Smut is lewd and dirty, then this one is very clean. 

Final verdict: Alas, I didn't get a whole lot of licorice out of this, though the leaves are certainly pleasant. Licorice, I like you so much! Why won't you stay with me? 

Predominately dead leaves in the bottle and wet on the skin, the black licorice doesn't come out until it starts to try and then it overtakes the leaves. As it fades, it's just dead leaves.

Not as licorice heavy as I was anticipating, but it's still a good Dead Leaves blend. These notes go really well together! As someone who loves the smell of licorice but hates eating it, this is a winner. :thumbsup:

-An anonymous benefactor (or villainous arch-nemesis) has sent you an unmarked packing crate, the olde-timey kind that cursed objects are stowed away in for overseas travel.
-Inside this box, once you have opened it with your rusty crowbar and/or Wile E. Coyote dynamite, all of a sudden everything goes sepia-tinted and you’re wearing a stiff corset and pointy-toed boots, and you see that swaddled inside is a bundle of fragrant, crackling autumn leaves several layers deep cocooning a mysterious bundle.
-You slowly peel away the autumnal wrapping to reveal that you have been gifted with a thick, glossy, twisting rope of Icelandic black licorice, dank and herbaceous and salty and delicious. Also included is a copy of the Icelandic version of Dracula, but you can go ahead and scrap that with the rest of the packing materials, it’s trash.
-Wow, these boots and corset are tight. But sepia-tinted November afternoons are lovely. And black licorice, as you are late in life to discover, is freaking phenomenal.