Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

It smells like Dead Leaves on fire!  😄 Pretty simple and just what I was expecting.  It's a familiar dead leaves accord, and a mellow bonfire smoke note.  It's a pretty light scent (which I like).  Not too strong.

Honestly there is something vaguely lemony lurking in the background, if you sniff up close.  It's really subtle, I wonder if anyone else will smell this or if it's my imagination.  Maybe a small touch of black musk? 

PS: the hint of lemon has disappeared.  I still think there could be a smidge of black musk in this.

Edited by forspecial_plate

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect -- smoky dead leaves! It's a sweet-ish, non-overwhelming smoke, though, somewhere between "distant bonfire" and "candle you just snuffed out." Definitely distinctly smoky, though. If you tried October and wanted something more smoky, give this one a go.

This is my favourite dead leaves scent blended with a perfect smokiness. It's a very realistic scent, not cologne-y at all. If you've smelled the dead leaves and the bonfire single notes, it smells like a blend of both of those. Decent throw but not overpowering. It honestly smells like I'm crunching through autumn leaves and someone has a bonfire going nearby. It's the quintessential smell of autumn. I love it.

Smells exactly like I hoped it might. This is not the smell of woodsmoke or campfire. It is definitely a bonfire made of dead leaves, like you sometimes catch a distant whiff of in the Fall air. It's well balanced--the dead leaves leaves component and the bonfire smoke component are each just the right amount not to be overwhelming one another. Evocative and intriguing. 

This is my favorite Dead Leaves this year.  Wait, I forgot black licorice.  So tough.  But I still think this wins, and I am a total licorice slut.  It's heartbreakingly evocative, somehow the perfect scent for the year we have just been through, the moments of sweetness and connection among the tragedies.  The smoke note doesn't always work on me, but there is no harshness here at all, just autumn bonfire smoke and dead leaves.  Decent throw and wear length.  I definitely need a bottle.  

This was VERY smoky on me.  Like - %99.9 char.  While it was evocative of the DL on Fire concept, it was a bit much.  It might be worth revisiting in a few months, once the perfume has had time to settle, but for now, this year's Midnight Bonfire is my pick for when I want to smell only a little bit on fire. 

ETA:  It might be fun to try out DL on Fire as a SN, mixed with other blends.  

Little wolf skin boots
And clove cigarettes
An erotic funeral
For which she's dressed
Her perfume smells like
Burning leaves
Everyday is Halloween

Like many other blends, placement is key here. On the wrist, it's all sweet smoke (wood/barbecue smoke, not the interpretive smoke of vetiver or certain resins). On the inside of the elbow I get much more of the standard Dead Leaves note mixed with the smoke, and I can detect something vaguely like "fire" which I can't place but may dragon's blood. I also get some lemon.

Very showy, out-front smoke. Exactly the type left behind in your hair after a night in front of a bonfire. Smokey smokey smoke-smoke. Again, depending on placement, I'm left with either 100% smoke or 100% dead leaves once fully dried. This is as straightforward as it gets. 

I love the Dead Leaves scents and I love smokey scents, so this had to be a winner. On my skin, it is exactly as named: the gorgeous dead leaves note that I love with smoke. It's not as dark nor as strong as I would have expected. Actually much lighter, which makes it wearable in more situations. I really like this! 

I have bottles of SN:Bonfire Smoke and Pile of Fallen Leaves and had never ever even thought of layering them! I'm going to play around with them together, but I know I can't do justice to them the way Beth does.  That's why I keep coming back to her creations.

This basically was SMOKE and a whiff of leaves. But a ton of SMOKE. It's mainly smoke on me. Great throw and wear length.

Tested January 26, 2021

Opening the bottle a get a strong hit of the lab's dead leaves note, followed by some vetiver smokiness.

On the skin it morphed almost immediately. I got the dead leaves note, then dead leaves and vetiver, next oud, then barbecue vetiver, followed by dead leaves and vetiver. It was an amazing experience just to go through all these morphed phases in less than an hour! After two hours, I got a small "dryer sheet" smell from the dead leaves. This all dried away and left me with burnt, or burning leaves. 

This one morphed on my skin so many times I'm really curious what it will be like when it has more time to settle and develop. Right now, it's not the type of scent I would wear all the time, but it is an excellent scent for darker and mysterious moods.

It is definitely one for the dead leaves fans out there.

On point, exactly what it says it'll be. Well balanced between the dead leaves and the smoky note. Kind of woodsy, smoky, dark, with the bit of sharpness of the dead leaves. 

I have a weird relationship with the smoke note that tends to go to an odd maple sweet place on me, but not this one! This is up there with October for what best encapsulates the feeling of fall for me. Very nice. Also not as strong of a throw as I expected which I think is a good thing, I had half expected it to be super overpowering but it's just right.

Edited by deadlyves

I was actually hoping this would be MORE bonfire-ish! It's not that it doesn't evoke that, it's just that there's this peppery-sweet tinge to the smoke edge that makes me think of cloves or vetiver or something, more like a really good candle scent than a bonfire.

On me, it's bell peppery- smokey. Not as much like burning leaves as I'd hoped, but I'll probably learn to love it.

First whiff was smoke, faint green leaves and a little soapy? The more I smell the Smokeyness comes through. I adore the leaf scents so this one is staying :) 

-The manky, softly rotting vegetation and the dry, smoky embers are a spellbinding and pretty sophisticated arboreal chypre-like combination
-Makes me think of little forest goblins gone for a weekend of glamping
-This is ingenious