Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

Temperance

There are certain people who exude a kind of quiet composure. They may not say much, but they go about their business with an air of calm deliberation. Their presence is comforting because they are so centered. For me, this is the energy of Temperance.

To be temperate is to show moderation and self-restraint. In a world full of enticing indulgences, it is often necessary to find the middle ground. Sensible, maybe, but also a bit boring? The energy of Temperance may seem unexciting on the surface, but it is the calm of a hurricane's eye. All around are swirling winds, but in the center is a still point that brings everything into balance.

In readings, Temperance can represent a need for moderation, especially when extreme cards are present (such as the Knights). This card can also indicate a need for balance. In conflict situations, Temperance suggests that compromise and cooperation are vital. Look for any opportunity to bring opposing parties together. In fact, to temper can mean to modify by adding a new component. By combining and recombining, we come up with the ideal mixture or solution. Temperance is the card of good health in all areas - physical, mental and emotional. When illness or dis-ease is a concern, Temperance holds out the promise of vitality and well-being. ~source

initial impression: lemon. not like pledge, but like a freshly cut lemon.

Well, when I was sniffing Temperance and working on my review, I was really anxious to see what others thought. See if anybody was getting the same thigns that I did. But, the only other reviewer is Quantum Spice and she didn't get the same thing I did. So, here goes...

Floral, maybe sweetpea, perhaps a little dandelion? It really wafts. Temperance is a very light possibly slightly fruity floral. It is completely inoffensive and I can totally see how this embodies the card.

Amazing how Beth can bring out the significance of a tarot card in a perfume blend.

Dandelion! And honeysuckle! This is a sunny, summertime bouquet, and a floral scent I can actually get along with. This is a girl in a yellow gingham dress in the sunshine...sunny and delightful and the epitome of bright, breezy summer warmth =) me likey

Temperance

In the bottle: A spicy yellow floral with a touch of mint. :P

On me: Yellow like dandelions or chrysanthemums on my skin. As it drys, it grows warmer and a touch soapy. It’s ok, but not enjoyable to smell on myself.

Light, slightly sweet and watery. Very cool feeling and refreshing. Some sort of smooth, light floral. Very evocative of the meaning of the temperance card.

goes on cool at first and warms up

a refreshing, slightly lemony scent with a bit of floral, and dandelion

very light and whispy.

nice, but i dont see myself with a 10ml of it

Temperance

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

In the vial:

This is a very pungent, dark green herbal. I get rosemary, for sure, along with mistletoe, and others.

On me:

The mistletoe comes out very prominently, but I still get the rosemary wafting in the background. Mistletoe, for those who haven’t experienced it, is definitely herbal smelling, but also very similar to pine. It’s like a piny herb. The rosemary lifts it up and keeps it from smelling overly Christmasy. It smells more like a dark, hidden grove in the middle of a dense forest.

In 15 minutes:

Still a lot of mistletoe, with rosemary.

Overall:

I really like this. I’m not sure I associate the scent with the card, but it is a lovely scent. If/when I run out of the LE Mistletoe, I’ll probably get a bottle of this.

Temperance smelled very soapy to me. Like a floral citrus scent. As it dries down it becomes more of a light lemon scent on me. Very Nice.

This is a very hard one to figure out. I have absolutely no idea what is in this but how does it make me feel?....Balanced, really. It feels like a good scent to wear when you need to buckle down and get things done. It gives me a feeling of efficiency and control. I should wear this on a work day, not on a day when I'm just lounging around the house, but I have to review all of the Tarot oils pretty quickly for the circular swap!

Jasmine soap? A touch of wood? A touch of herb or aquatic? It's a little medicinal, a little floral, a little soapy/aquatic. It's rather like some sort of antibiotic lotion you might wash your hands with before going in to a hospital room, but imagine that it was made out of purely natural ingredients rather than harsh chemicals. A cleansing scent to stimulate and prepare the mind for the tasks ahead.

Wet, this was a delicious fresh summer meadow scent with wonderful yellow florals and a very wholesome, cheerful feel about it. I was expecting something a little more diverse, like the World, but this is pure plant on me. I guess the idea is that all the disparate elements in Temperance-- water, earth, air and sun-- come together to make the cheery daffodil! :P

Dry, it turns... as green florals do, on me-- soapy. Not unpleasantly soapy, but soapy. Very clean in a natural kind of way. I like it, but I liked it better before it dried.

Temperance was initially a light, slightly sweet, somewhat grassy and green scent. I really liked the scent, until it dried down to soap :P . I don't have the decant anymore because of that soapy drydown, but I may attempt to swap for an another decant and try layering Temperance with other scents because it was so lovely in the wet stage.

Lovely, fresh floral with a lot of herbs in the background. Fits the card very well, and the blend itself is beautifully balanced. It's really lovely, and I can see how this would be a great 'starter' BPAL for people intimidated by all the new smellies. Very nice, but not the one I'd grab when I was looking for a light floral as their are others I prefer at this point that are similar.

Initially a very green, fresh-cut-grasses-and-stems smell, then the dandelion makes itself known, and the other florals follow. These are light, natural smelling flowers - things that grow outdoors, unfussily - and this is an unfussy floral blend to my nose, natural and not overly perfumy.

Temperance sweetens up quite a bit with my chemistry, but never to the point of being heavy or cloying, like some floral blends are.

Initial Sniff: Green and weedy.

Wearing: This stays rather true to the bottle scent (is that dandelion?), but as it dries a sort of sunlight note appears, basking our green weedy field with its rays.

Final Impressions: More than anything Beth has created, this smells like summer in the Deep South. Hot, green, and lush. I would call this almost fresh - it is a bit too... humid... to be completely fresh. I love it.

Bottle (Imp): I *know* that smell but I can't put my finger (nose?) on it.

Just On: Oh! Lime. Wow, that's the first time I've smelled lime in a BPAL.

An hour or two later: The lime has gone, and I'm not sure what has come in it's place. It smells familiar. Hmm, maybe like my lawn, but not so grassy.

Around 6 hours: It's disappeared.

12 hours: It stayed gone, what a shock.

Overall: I think I'd like this better if it stayed around longer, but it's still a good one.

After reading other reviews: Wow, what a variety here, and I don't see anybody who got lime out of it. AH well, I guess that's the way it works. It wasn't really a floral on me, which is probably for the better.

First sniff: Sweet flowers! Honeysuckle? And running water.

Wearing: This is definitely honeysuckle – crisp, clear and sweet. Really beautiful.

at first: simple, fresh flowers

on: freshly-cut carnations sitting in some water in a florist's shop. gorgeous.

1 hour later: a woman from my office told me that she really liked my perfume. then, a few minutes later, she came around again and remarked about it. right now, it's more powdery. actually, i think it's more of a sweet pea scent. it's nice. ok, a few minutes after i posted that last sentence, i got ANOTHER compliment from someone else. needless to say, this is a keeper.

5 hours later: powdery and slightly sweet.

overall: this is just gorgeous. i usually don't get compliments on my perfume because i don't wear a lot, but this one was definitely different. i might buy a bottle of this at some point.

I can smell lavender on this one and it has a green touch when dry.

It's balanced and relaxing, quite representative of the card's meaning.

First on this reminds me of all of my favorite yellow-florals... honeysuckle, daffodil, and weedy green dandelions. It's floral, but not the sort of floral that gives me a headache. I actually rather like this.

Unfortunately, there is a hint of something that reminds me of lemon scented dish soap underneath the florals. That soapy smell just gets stronger and stronger until it eventually overtakes the florals. I'm left with something that smells like dish soap and dandelions :P

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

Wow, flowers in a big way. I’m terrible at identifying floral notes, so all I can say is that smelling Temperance is literally like walking into a florist’s shop and taking a deep breath. It’s bright, sunny and beautiful, even to a non-floral lover like me. If I had to wear a floral scent, it would be something like Temperance.

Wet on skin:

I know I recognize the flower I’m smelling here, but I can’t place it. It’s slightly sweet, a tiny bit heady, but not headache-inducing like a lot of florals. On me, it’s a bit too sweet and heady, unfortunately, but it’s nice enough.

Dry down:

Subdued, sweet florals, almost honeysuckle-like but not quite. Temperance is feminine and soft and not me at all, but quite pretty in its own way.

The bottom line:

Temperance isn’t me (I don’t really do florals or girly scents in general), but it’s still a scent I can see the appeal of.

In the imp: Gentle floral.

On, wet: A very light floral, slightly sweet. Daisies? Dandelion? Something like that, floral and a little bit green.

Later: No, not daisies, because daisy usually works well on me and this has a very slightly soapy edge. It's not unpleasant, but it's not great, either.

I usually can't wear scents that are described as watery, so I'm always searching for blends that have a watery essence that is expressed in different ways than the usual aquatics. Temperance evokes the classic image of the angel or maiden goddess with one foot on the flowery shore and one foot in the fresh flow of water. There is a coolness and a sweetness, softly floral but not powdery or dry at all, very moist. The balance that Temperance should convey is present, and I feel a calmness coming over me as I breathe it in, my breathing slowing, my heart opening. This is a beautiful oil!

When wet on my arm, Temperance smells like leafy green, wet plants. It's a very damp, green smell. It's flowers in a greenhouse or a florist's. It's the stems of flowers and the scent that you get from really putting your face in a fresh bouquet and inhaling.

It's not, however, perfumey.

Is this crocuses?

Lilacs?