Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VetchVesper

Smells to Work Out To - 30 Day Challenge

On 1/7/2021 at 11:00 PM, Madame Mew said:

WOSOTD: TAL Honey Rose v45. I love this one! It lasted for so long. It’s comforting, slightly sweet, perfect rose. I did some yoga with Adrien on YouTube. I needed to take a step back and really stretch and do some good old fashion yoga. The slow burn is real. It was day one of her 30 day thing. A few days late but I’m here for it.

I never had the chance to try any of the v45 TALs -- they sounded wonderful.  I wonderful if they'll go away now that #45 is.  The announcement from the Lab only mentioned the Trump-adjacent BPALs.  Is Adrien's day one video heavy on the downward dogs and vinyasas? If not, I might be able to handle it.

Yesterday I wore Half-Elf, which I had forgotten how much I like, and walked around Green Lake (3.5 miles).  Today I'm wearing Impressions of the Floating World, one of my favorites, walked to a nearby park a mile from my house, and played pingpong with my friend Judy for about 40 minutes, all she was up to today.  We actually had a little sunshine.  It's not supposed to rain tomorrow either.  We'll see. 

My sister and I have signed up for this virtual challenge starting January 18:  https://runwestireland.com/

502 miles, four and a half months, which means I'll have to average about four miles a day.  More if I miss days -- maybe I'll do longer jaunts on weekends.  I've never been to Ireland, though we have family roots there.  It looks so beautiful!

'Ello, my luvs!   I hope everyone is as well as can be expected, given the shit-show that exploded this week.  

@Lucchesa maybe time to get that shoulder checked out, just to make sure nothing is torn?  :( :hug:

I haven't been as lazy about exercise as my absence would suggest.  Monday I did an abbreviated Tae Bo session.  No idea what I was wearing! 

Tuesday - Thursday I did free weights, crunches, planks, squats and leg work with resistance bands, along with my abs yoga sessions.  I gave Neko her own very light (almost no-) resistance band, which she tried to use as a hula hoop at first.  Anyway, I know for a fact I wore Goblin at least two (maybe all three?) of those days, and layered it with Stekk on one of them.  I lurrrve the freakin' patch in Goblin.  I feel like it's the same patch in Snake Oil?  Deep and chewy and dirty, and just. Sooooo. Goooood.  Ordered a bottle immediately! 

Friday...day off.  My ass hurt from all the squats, and I had to drive Neko back to her mom for the weekend.

Today I did my 4.5 mile treadmill sesh, wore Baby's First Ballista.  My bottle is more oak-heavy than my sugar cookie-leaning decant, but it's also stronger and longer-lasting.  I hope the oak calms down soon, because it has sort of a sour sharpness to it.  If it doesn't cooperate, it may find itself under threat of destash.  

I'll check back in as time permits.  Miss all y'all :grouphug:

Hi all!

@Lucchesa I actually am not at all sure about those coming down! HRv45 is my first TAL, got it off of the Etsy TAL page and it's still up! Adrien's day one did have a somewhat extended downward dog moment, but it was very mellow. Slow burn, she called it. :) 

@Amazonia you're kicking ass!  Goblin is the freaking best. New love of mine for sure, agree with the sentiment re: patch in SO... same one for me as RR/BB and Grave-Pig? I just love PATCHOULI. I never thought I would , thank the sweet lab. 

WOSOTD: nothing. For shame. I totally forgot! Yoga sculpt with some intense HIIT thrown in, super fun! Then tore apart and cleaned both bathrooms and I don't think it was even this clean when we moved in 2 years back. I am unsure how many hours I was cleaning, but it was a while. I'm chuffed with myself, if you can't tell. LOL. Cleaned my makeup brushes, catered to my many indoor plants and took the dogs on a walk I am whooped. Took a bath, put on Dead Leaves, Pistachio and Marshmallow Cream, which I cannot get enough of.  ❤️ 

I hope you all are having a lovely weekend!

WOSOTD: Snow at Dusk. I love the snow note in this. Pretty sure it's the same snow from Snow White. This is like goth AF snow white. Notes: Swirled grey and purple in the gloaming: snowdrifts shadowed with opium tar, wild plum, Siamese benzoin, champaca resinoid, muguet, and carnation.

Today's workout was another hour long class, focusing on lower body. So. Many. Lunges. It was a really fun class that I have actually done 3x now, just because I know it really hits the spot for leg/glute day. 

Hi witchy friends!

I haven't checked in in a bit but I have kept up with Adriene's challenge every day. Will do Day 11 later today, and I'm thinking of trying some belly dancing as well haha, I'll report back! I found a couple of videos on Youtube, we'll see. I was away from home so I haven't worn any particularly exciting smells, just brought a couple of faves with me (Druid and A Night in the French Quarter).

I hope you are all doing well! 💜

Hi, all! I’ve been walking faithfully when it’s not pouring. Today I wore The Pope, which had hardly any reviews but is really great, and did a four-mile walk. My shoulder is still not happy...

Hey frenz, thought I'd stop in for a bit.  Here comes some word vomit.  Apologies in advance.

I am super scattered right now.  My aunt's boyfriend of 20+ years died Friday night.  Yes, it was Covid.  He had been in ICU since late December.   His condition seemed to be stable and they were getting ready to take him off the vent.  At some point midweek, he had a series of strokes which caused lesions on his brain.  They turned off his life support Friday evening, and he passed very shortly thereafter.  Lots of emotions, running the gamut between sorrow and rage right now.  My aunt is 61, they had finally bought a house together last year...and suddenly she's alone.  He was her best friend and life partner, and now the future they had planned is just gone.  He was in his late 50's, non-smoker, light social drinker, took all the necessary precautions faithfully, and had no underlying health conditions. 

I am so. Fucking. Angry.  We should not be suffering this loss.

I worked out for at least 30 minutes every day last week, with the exception of Sunday and Wednesday.  Lots of weights, Bowflex, abs yoga, T25, and resistence bands.  I'm going to check out PiYo this week and mix things up a bit.  I have finally dropped a pant size (which is probably stress related) and toned up quite a bit.  I'm starting to see some definition in my abs.  I haven't had a six-pack since I was in my early thirties (I was a workout junkie for several years after I had my youngest kid) and I'm really excited to see that again. 

@Kelthara check out Sadie's belly dance workouts.  I have a few of her DVDs and she is amazing!  Not sure if you can find them on YouTube, but it's worth a look!

I know I wore Blackcurrant Pie a lot last week.  It's all cardamom at first, but dries down to such a gorgeous spicy blackcurrant.  It's so good that I ordered a bottle.  Snake Oil, Snake's Kiss '18, and Stekk (MARSHMALLOWS!!! Thanks @Madame Mew!) were all in the rotation.  I can't remember which day I tested  Vampire Tarot: The Fool, but I kinda dig it.  I always smell like sweet sugary confections, so smelling of a hike down a path through a deciduous forest, dotted with wild mint growing here and there along the way, was a nice change.  The Fool may have snuck his way out of the destash box.

@Lucchesa, I saw you wore Impressions of the Floating World last week.  I recently got a decant of IOTFW that I've been meaning to test, but I keep forgetting.  I'll try to throw that one into the mix soon.  

Yesterday I walked on the treadmill for 4.5 miles, while wearing Antique Lace.  I only have one bottle so I rarely wear it, but it seemed like an appropriate time.  

Welp, I gotta get busy so I can go get Neko this afternoon.  I'll drop in if I can get a few minutes free this week.

TT y'all l8r 😙

Edited by Amazonia
Derpiness

@Amazonia I am SO SORRY to hear about your aunt's partner.  You have every right to be filled with the blackest rage.  We should not be here, as a country.  

Good luck with Neko!  I hope you've managed to craft a more workable situation with her mother.  And congratulations on all the hard workouts and the visible results.  

@Kelthara Good job on sticking with the yoga challenge!  I can't wait to do yoga again, but this is the point where I always go back too soon and reinjure myself.  Belly dancing sounds like fun -- let us know if you find something worthwhile.  

@Madame Mew I hope you're getting the same sunshine we are!

I talked with Vetch_Vesper last week -- she's fine, just has a lot of stressful life stuff on her plate right now and hasn't been on the forums much.  I keep walking.  40 minutes today because I had a commitment I had to get ready for.  I forgot to wear perfume, but now I'm wearing Quintessence of Dust and I plan to get in a few more mini-walks as breaks in my work this afternoon.  

Hi witches!

Sorry I've been so scarce!.I had the meltdown to end all meltdowns this Saturday (so much so that I spent Sunday with a raging headache) and being online so much is just not helping. I'm okay now, I thinking I needed to let go of 10 months worth of frustration of living through these strange and challenging times. But I've been keeping up with the yoga, with only a couple of days where I've had to do two sessions to get caught up. I actually just finished 2 sessions and I'm now up to date with Adriene's challenge. I kind of just spritzed myself with the Vengeance Eternal HG which I just received this Saturday, and I really love it! I've also been falling in love with Personent Hodie and Tombeur, which came in that same order.

Belly dancing did not quite work out for me, but, I will look out for Sadie! I ended up doing some really intense 15 minutes dance workout after belly dancing was a bust that day and half of the effort was me dying laughing at how badly coordinated I am. 😂 So, a fun time overall, and definitely good cardio! 

Sending love to all of you! :heart:

Hi workout witches! Today I went on a six mile hike in the Columbia gorge with my husband and dogs. Wore my fabled Blue, Bloody Supermoon Lunar Eclipse. A kind would sold me her bottle and I’m so grateful! My man said it smelled like jolly ranchers. I guess the berries are strong once the skin warms up. 
I’ve been working out at least every other day, mixed in barre (Dailey Method) online, CorePower and weekend walks or hikes. Work has been super slamming, so I haven’t had much time to journal my activities since I squeeze the workouts in on my hour long lunch breaks.

great job to everyone out there moving those bods when we can!💕

Edited by Madame Mew

On 9/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, VetchVesper said:

I'm getting pudgy, achy, stiff, and depressed.  :ugh:  That means ... 

!!! IT'S WORK OUT TIME !!!  

:joy: :bow: :rantrave::bow::thud:

I thought I might use fragrances to motivate me.  Today I wore Wanda, because I felt like roses, and she smells like a BADASS!  Rosy, but not too rosy, with some juicy, smexy wine, a touch of supple leather, and a touch of smutty musk to make me feel like it's ok to be sweaty.  This is what you wear when you do Zumba in stilettoes, or are perfecting your whip-cracking workout!  :whip: (Not me, though.  I don't have that kind of co-ordination!  Still, it's nice to feel like I COULD if I worked out more.  :biggrin:)

Anywho, anyone want to join me in my low-pressure, unplanned, and ill-conceived 30 day BPAL workout challenge!?  Whether you're going for that big booty burn, taking a stroll around the neighborhood, or sipping green tea between toe touches and cat pose, a little bit of exercise can go a long way to improve the way you feel.  

Rules!

1) :type: Make a goal for yourself.  What do you want to achieve in 30 days?  Is it to drop a few pounds?  Form a new habit?  Gain some flexibility?  Lift your mood?  Or maybe just find new ways to use your GINORMOUS BPAL hoard?!  Decide on your goal(s) and post it here.  

2)   :thumbsup:  Dash, spritz, or slather on some perfume.  (Preferably BPAL, but we won't judge.)

3)  :bow:  Do at least 20 mins of exercise, stretching, or fitness activity.  (Be as tough or easy on yourself as you like.  It's great if you can work out everyday, but if you can't, that's okay too.  This is about fun, experimentation, and feeling good about yourself.  Even if you just add 20 minutes of exercise to your week,  it's still a step in the right direction.) 

4):joy:Every time you exercise, come brag on yourself in the thread!  Tell us what you did, what perfume you wore, and how it worked out.  Remember to cheer other folks on too!  :cheer: 

5)   :princess:    At the end of 30 days, tally up your exercise entries, tell us your favorite workout fume, and let us know how close you got to your goal!

As for me, my goal is to work out at least 3 days a week, lose 5 lbs by the end of October, and get my back less achy.  I did a 10 minute ab crunch workout on you tube.  (Eee gawds, I'm outta shape.) and 10 minutes of basic Yoga stretches. (Edited to up my goal to 5 days a week, because I can do it!)

P.S. To the moderators, not sure if this is the right place for this, but it's sorta perfume recommendations, possibly workout recommendations?  I saw there is a thread specifically for what to wear while working out, but this seemed a little more involved.  Anywho, lemme know if I need to merge stuff.  

Is this still a thing? It needs to still be a thing! I would love to jump on board. I need motivation to make better choices!

4 hours ago, katharina said:

Is this still a thing? It needs to still be a thing! I would love to jump on board. I need motivation to make better choices!

Yep, still a thing!  We've all just been lackadaisical about reporting in, methinks.  Maybe you can help drag me back in to regular check-ins!

ETA: @Lucchesa seems to be our most consistent, so a shout out goes to her 💜   You're still holdin' it down, sister!

Edited by Amazonia

We’ve been naughty! Well, about reporting out, that is. 

WOSOTD: Kai Kai and Marshmallow Snow. I didn’t layer them, but tried Marshmallow Snow on the top of my wrists and Kai Kai in the crook of my elbows. Just testing my order that arrived from the lab yesterday and some other swaps and such. It was a great mail day yesterday! I love both scents and need to find more Kai Kai. 60 mins of yoga sculpt with weights was the game today. 

1 hour ago, Amazonia said:

Yep, still a thing!  We've all just been lackadaisical about reporting in, methinks.  Maybe you can help drag me back in to regular check-ins!

ETA: @Lucchesa seems to be our most consistent, so shout out to her 💜

Awesome, I am super excited to hear this. I did manage 20 minutes on the elliptical today and I wore Spider, which is masculine leaning to me. 

Hi, lovelies!!! Good job, everyone, and welcome, @katharina!  And sorry for not checking in. The west coast of Ireland challenge my sister and I are doing started a week ago Monday. She’s kicking my ass! I need to average about 4 miles a day, and over the first nine days I’ve walked every day and am averaging 5!

Today I did a 5.3 mile walk and WOSOTD was Zorya Uttrenyaya. (I’m also doing the different BPAL every day in January thing and going in alphabetical order.) It’s a coffee scent, so I thought it might give me a needed kick, but it was more like a big warm hug, and I can still smell it. Nearly out of my decant and need more!

Okay, I'm gonna dip in real quick too!

Monday and Tuesday I did an hour of PiYo each day.  It's basically just Yoga so far, but I've only done the first two workouts, so hopefully there's more to it as the workouts advance.  

Monday I wore Aglaea.  Love that sweet, fuzzy peach!  I'll be full-sizing it eventually, but I keep receiving it as frimps from sellers/swap partners, so I'm good for a while!

Yesterday I wore Krampus 2013, received as a frottle (THANK YOU, LAB 💜) with my order that arrived Monday.  I might have to stop avoiding leather notes.  I kinda dig it!

Today I'm testing Marshmallow Snow and Gingerbread Mummy.  Woooo, boy.  Marshmallow Snow needs some time to rest, fo sho.  The wet stage is overpoweringly sharp, sweet/sour pine.  Drydown is nice, but takes a hot minute to get there.  Gingerbread Mummy is amazing straightaway.  I imagine it's going to blossom into something glorious with time.  

My obliques are sore today, so I haven't decided what physical activity I'm doing yet.  

TT y'all later!

13 hours ago, Lucchesa said:

Hi, lovelies!!! Good job, everyone, and welcome, @katharina!  And sorry for not checking in. The west coast of Ireland challenge my sister and I are doing started a week ago Monday. She’s kicking my ass! I need to average about 4 miles a day, and over the first nine days I’ve walked every day and am averaging 5!

Today I did a 5.3 mile walk and WOSOTD was Zorya Uttrenyaya. (I’m also doing the different BPAL every day in January thing and going in alphabetical order.) It’s a coffee scent, so I thought it might give me a needed kick, but it was more like a big warm hug, and I can still smell it. Nearly out of my decant and need more!

Thank you and that's awesome!

And thanks for your insights @Amazonia!

I did 30 min of a goddess flow yoga for fatties (my reclamation of fat!) wearing Anathema. Honestly, I didn't love it the first hour or so, but now that the top notes have settled down I can appreciate it more, but don't think it will be a favorite of mine.

Welcome back, @Amazonia! I’m not familiar with PiYo. Pilates Yoga? And lucky you, Krampus is awesome!

Goddess flow sounds awesome, @katharina! A shoulder injury is still limiting my yoga, but I have been walking every day. Yesterday, 5 miles, to the tune of Revenant Rhythm. I got frimped a decant in a swap and wow, wow, wow. 

today’s WOSOTD is There Is No Bliss Like This but it’s raining so I haven’t braved the outdoors yet.

@Lucchesa yep, it's pilates and yoga, along with other strengthening moves.  Each workout is 30 minutes, and I think there are 12 different workouts.  It's...harder than the infomercial would lead one to believe.  My wrists can only deal with so many side planks 😅 

I'm sad to hear you're still dealing with the shoulder injury.  Have you had it checked out?

Yesterday was PiYo core, wearing Goblin layered with Outremer Vanille Parfume Extrait.  I'm still on a Goblin kick, been layering it with everything.  I am in love with that patch!

Today I did PiYo buns/thighs and another 30 minutes Tae-Bo buns and abs.  Gonna be sooorrre tomorrow.  I wore Stekk, and I could still smell it until I got a chance to bathe several hours later.  Mmmm, creamy marshmallow.  I'm going to run out someday, and then I will have some serious sads.  I can only hope to find a reasonable facsimile during my exploration of various Indie fragrance houses. 

Neko is picking up some moves.  I catch her doing speed-bag arms and squats at random throughout the day.  We threw tae-bo punches while dancing to Baby Shark this afternoon.  Yes, Baby Shark is annoying af...but whatever works, I guess!

@Amazonia PiYo sounds intense! The image of you and Neko dancing and punching too baby shark makes me laugh.

I haven’t had my shoulder looked at because it is improving, and I’ve hurt it this way before. Multiple times. But about a week ago I did 15 minutes of intermediate vinyasa and got clear signs I had overdone it, so I’m backing off. Plus I need to keep my mileage up for the Ireland challenge. Yesterday I did get out for nearly four miles, most of it dry. Today, it was closer to five, and it just rained the last ten minutes. I was testing It Was Just a Cat (thumbs up) and Rickety Staircase (thumbs down).

UGH. Life happened and I have not been on my game. Dealing with parental health issues and getting my house ready for them to move in to--classic GenX stuff, I guess.

I did do 30 min on the elliptical today with Native Gold. Gah, I love this scent! It's so happy to me, smelling like root beer and love, which I need lately. 😁

Helloooo, anyone still around?  I hope everyone is doing well and life is being kind to you all! 

I actually worked out AND wore a BPAL today!  I've been pretty lazy for the last three weeks, and have been exploring different Indie perfume houses.  Hence, I didn't want to dip in on the Recs thread to report sporadic workouts while wearing other houses' scents.  I've got an itch for a certain BPAL that I can't have, so lately I've been looking for similar scents from across the spectrum.  

Anyway...Neko is at her mom's for the weekend, so I jumped on the treadmill for an hour/4.5 miles this morning while wearing Alice.  Alice is definitely a surprise hit for me.  I'm so happy the Lab sent her along as a frimp a few months ago, as I never would have tried her based on the notes.  

I usually turn honey into super funk, generally hate the smell of roses (actual roses and in perfume), and bergamot is hit or miss, so I never expected to love Alice as much as I do.  The spicy carnation just sings on me, and I can't pick out the rose at all.  The honey is well-behaved, and the whole composition reads as very fresh and clean on my skin, without being sharp and soapy.  I may have to order another bottle when the Lupers drop!

Treadmill again today, 4.5 miles, wearing The Mark.  Reminds me of Snake Skin 2017.  This is the leather note that turns kind of dark fruity on me.  LOVE IT, just wish it had more throw and longevity.  Of course, I didn't let it settle very long after it arrived yesterday, so that may change.

I’m here!  Way to keep on keeping on, @Amazonia!!! I don’t know The Mark, it sounds right up my alley. Alice was my first BPAL love, though, and while my tastes have gone much darker since then, she never disappoints. Definitely more than the sum of her parts.

Yesterday I put on O the Joy of My Spirit and some nice clothes and biked the seven miles to Seattle Art Museum to see the member preview of the Jacob Lawrence exhibit I’ll be lecturing on next week. I’m not in biking shape, so it took me 45 minutes to get there and 50 to get home (more hills, tireder bones), but it felt almost like real life. I wish I’d brought the bottle because it’s one that needs re-applying, but I love the oddball Nutella in a forest thing. Even in KN95 mask I got recognized (I lecture at another local museum), which is why I was biking in a skirt. Lots of love to to you all!!! :grouphug:

Edited by Lucchesa

Hi hi team! Many life changes later, I've returned. My exercise goals have big time changed, and I'm basically trying to motivate myself to encourage myself to walk rather than take the bus to work (4.3 miles away) and my studio (2.7). Then work my way up from that. Ages ago I used to just ride my bike, but I've read that walking is more effective. And honestly when I was at the Y I was an ellipticizing queen.

I walked about a mile yesterday to the grocery store, and was rocking It Was Just A Cat and a splash of Possets Wiley. 

Am currently getting ready to head out to the studio and am maybe thinking 🤔 laudnum or dee or Lydia. It's chilly and I kinda wanna go with something dark/earthy.