Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Solved Mysteries

This is a very pretty musk! In the bottle and when first applied I get a lot of red musk, but once on skin it blends fairly evenly with the skin musk. The effect to my nose is almost of an Egyptian musk. The pop of pink peppercorn (it’s definitely pink, and not super pepper-y, just gives the scent a little kick) meshes nicely with the sweet, clean orange blossom. There’s a grounding base of dry sandalwood holding everything together. 

I was a little wary of this. The lab's red musk can be nice sometimes, but sometimes it's very overpowering on me and drowns out everything else. On initial application that seems like it might be an issue here too. I am getting a very strong presence from the red musk and very little else, maybe a very faint hint of the sandalwood and orange blossom behind it. They do seem to be tempering the red musk slightly (or maybe that's the skin musk just quieting it down), so it's not quite as sharp or aggressive as I've had it go in the past. It's definitely still the dominant note by far, and this is very much a red musk centered scent on my skin at least. That's leaving my brain a little confused I think, because it does sort of smell nice, but I've had so many scents feel overwhelming with this note that I keep expecting it to be too much or unpleasant, when really it's a much smoother take on the red musk scent. Definitely feeling a bit torn on this one.

Love this one. I have come back to this decant most of all the 2020 Liliths I have tried. It's on my full-size shopping list now.

First test I was like, ‘ok where is it tho.’ Tried again the next day, and realized this one takes a bit of patience for me. But when it comes around, it is love. ☺️

Reminds me of a precious-to-me bottle of sandalwood oil I got at a foo-foo hippie shop in Antigua years ago and use so sparingly. Solved Mysteries is that kinda sandalwood juiced up with pepper and skin musk. It wafts nicely - doesn’t have to be too close to enjoy. Warm, clean, light wood, really nice. Like a carved wood box. Worth the wait. 😉

This would be an excellent work-appropriate scent. Wearing it today to feel cozy & calm at home but still dressed up a bit. Much as I love work-from-home in tights and a hoodie all day every day, sometimes one wants to feel like one tries. Feeling sophisticated in my insulated track pants, yes, but also Solved Mysteries and, what the heck, a lip tint to boot.

I get a ton of orange blossom freshness, with skin musk, and honestly this sort of reminds me to Jean Nate. It's clean, fresh, and very bright. Good throw and wear length.

I didn't know what the notes were when I first applied it, and honestly it reminded me a little of unaged Snake Oil? I think it was the peppercorn and the musks, which are the strongest of the notes on me. No orange blossom sadly, but the sandalwood appeared during drydown. It's an alright clean scent with a little bit of pepper. Wish the orange blossom showed up, it was one of the more intriguing notes to me. It resembles incense a little bit too, so if you are into those kind of scents this may be up your alley!

I got an empty of this with a decant order -- ordinarily I wouldn't have tried it. So please bear in mind that I'm reviewing something that has a low possibility of working on me. Lots and lots of red musk, which drowns out the skin musk for me.  And the peppercorn. The sandalwood blends with the red musk in an incensey way.  The orange blossom gives it the feel of high-end soap, as it often does on me, so instead of a down and dirty red musk, this is a fresh and clean red musk, with decent throw and good staying power. 

This does indeed have a very incensey vibe to it. Close to the skin, I could detect what I believe was the sandalwood, as a smooth, woody scent, like a burnished wooden bowl. That was interesting. It has decent throw and staying power.

Something here is going very masculine cologne on me, strong and aggressive and pungent. I don't know if there is secret oakmoss or if the pink pepper + sandalwood is being really extra, but all of this is adding up to a fougere that is NOT doing it for me. Missing in action are the skin musk, the red musk, and most of the orange blossom (it's lurking there in the background, so overwhelmed by the pink pepper). That makes me really sad, I love all of those notes.

I wanted this one to work, I really did, but aging did not improve any of the things I disliked, and did not bring out any of the notes that were MIA at the beginning. More musks, more orange blossom, less secret oakmoss or whatever is lurking here. Farewell, mystery, you have been solved, you suck!

this is the holy grail of red musks for me. perfect blend of clean-dirty-sexy musk. well blended and can’t really pick out any notes except a glorious, velvety red musk. i wish i got the jump on this when it was live because i need many back ups of this

This goes on as a blast of red musk and orange blossom. Then the pink pepper joins in and adds a bit of a kick to the scent. Then it becomes about the red musk, orange blossom, and the dry sandalwood, before a phase where red musk declares dominion over all, only to revert back (I guess the red musk was missing its orange blossom and sandalwood friends). The skin musk is not a main player on me, although I suspect it may be softening the red musk a little so that the other notes can peek through.

This one isn't in my wheelhouse, but I'm glad I got to try this since it is a Lilith scent.