Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Sentence First, Verdict Afterwards

Off with her head: white roses, tea roses, climbing roses, blood red roses, and a cluster of thorns, blood-spattered and sword-sharp, with clove bud and tobacco flower.

This is a beautiful rose blend. It reminds me of Lush’s Tisty Tosty—gorgeous rose, a hint of powder, and clean, fragrant clove. It has a medieval vibe to my nose, and would equally suit a pretty maiden or a powerful queen.

In the bottle: Gentle, feminine rose. 

Wet on my skin: Pretty, standard clove-tinged rose. This is really reminding me of something else in my collection...

Dry: This doesn't change a whole lot as it dries and wears, so what you smell at first is pretty much what you get! It's probably the "least unusual" of the Liliths I ordered this go-round, but it's very pretty and I like it! It's in the same scent family as Crucifixion and In Time of Plague, and is actually very much a sister scent to the latter. It's a lush, velvety rose-tobacco blend tinged by gentle not-spicy clove. Red rose and tea rose forward, smells "round and red." Very pretty, would be a good scent for a professional award dinner or something, where you want to make an impression and smell great but also need to be traditional enough that the older folks don't side-eye you too much. 

Initially: Clove clove clove clove rose clove

My skin always amps clove. Surprisingly, this dries down quickly into a whiff of clove and the roses amp. Within ten minutes, it's a gentle spiced rose, powdery but not soapy. What a morpher! Lovely! 

In the bottle: I'm getting ALL THE ROSES. Really, this is a super duper rosey rose blend. On, wet: Some green rose stem/leaf notes pop up, along with a hint of clove which adds tiny spicy pops. As it warms up, the clove pops up a bit more but roses are still the star of this show on me (which is surprising because I tend to amp clove). Drydown: This stays a really rose-forward blend; if you are a fan of BPAL rose blends you need this one; don't let the clove scare you off.

This starts off as rose and clove before becoming rose, rose, rose. This does not feature any of the sweet roses found in Two, Five and Seven, and the red rose notes in this aren't as bold as the rose in Peacock Queen. I feel like my skin is bringing forth more of the tea rose and white rose than the other rose notes. At the end of the day, I can smell some tobacco mingling with the rose notes, but there is no more clove to be found.

I'll be hanging on to my decant because this is Mad Tea Party-adjacent, but I wish I were getting more clove from this one (I really liked that clove blast when it was first applied). I'm going to try layering it with Sweet Clove SN and see how that goes. :) 

In the imp I get lots of pink spun-sugar rose with a whiff of cloves. It reminds me of a less chaotic Two, Five, and Seven. On my skin I get a bit more bold red rose, but pink still dominates. The clove is light, just toning down the sweetness of the pink roses. 

I thought that this was going to be a darker, goth club rose, but it's a darling baby bat 👶 🦇 of a fragrance, which makes sense, cuz it's a Lil! Wet, the roses flash like a pair of red patent leather Doc Martins, and there is an equal shock of snapped green stems, full of life and vigor; that kind of floral is, indeed, "sword sharp" to my nose, but I don't get a sense of thorns, which I expected to be woodier. Drying down, it calms, the roses blushing pink with just a touch of a blood note. It ends up soft and jammy, wearing close to the skin. 

Edited by lookingglass

I almost didn’t try this because of that clove, but I’m glad I got over myself because this is lovely. I love rose, and I’m fairly confident that I’ve at least tested (if not hoarded) every lab rose scent over the years, and I am always so fascinated that each scent is so different! I can tell that there are multiple types of roses here, and they are all nicely grounded by a hint (a HINT!) of green and spice. It’s very well blended, and it sits close to the skin so it doesn’t scream ROSE! at passersby. It lasts too, even through a hot shower.

White rose! Very very white rose. A sort of waterier, paler rose. The spice from the clove makes it smell almost like a carnation. Does go a bit soapy on me but is overall all right. 

When I first tried this I wasn't that keen on it, but it has really grown on me. The rose and clove are pretty equal and not super strong on me, at least compared to scents featuring those notes like The Rose or Clove Cigarette. I think what I like about it is there's a dark undercurrent to my nose, maybe from the tobacco flower or blood notes? It makes me think of the hundred-year-old wall of thorns from Sleeping Beauty or something; pretty roses on the surface, thorns underneath. It's a subtle scent, at least on my skin, but has decent longevity.

Fresh from the Lab in bottle and wet on skin this smells just like Phantasm by Alchemic Muse, which I love: Aged roses and white lilies shrouded in an ethereal mist of cool earth, wet stone, and faint incense with a lingering base of soft, smoky musk. It has a powdery, refined, ghostly quality to it, white and ethereal, haunting, yet there's that tiny bit of clove lurking in the background, making me think more of the clove gum instead of clove cigarette or foody spice. 

Drydown a tiny bit of the clove gum is coming out more, but this is still mostly about them roses. 

I didn't really need a backup of Phantasm or something so similar since I already have Sarawen's Vampire Bride in this scent profile as well, but I'm glad to have it and look forward to seeing how the clove note ages.

tl/dr: ghostly sweet powdery rose + soft clove gum.

For fans of Lycan Lace, Sarawen Vampire Bride, AM Phantasm.

This is basically a rose single note on me, I don't get any other notes when it was wet and after it dried down. It's a very clean roses scent, not powdery at all. Even though I am disappointed that there's no tobacco or clove on me, this is still a really good BPAL rose blend. So I think rose lovers would enjoy this!

Will keep my decant, but won't upgrade to a bottle.