Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Oh man, finally a savory foodie scent that's meat-free! This starts off heavy on the caraway and rye, slowly morphs into a mildly sweet buttered bread with caraway, and disappears into the warm memory of bread baking. Close to the skin and incredibly wearable.

Wow, this smells exactly like a freshly baked loaf of rye bread with caraway. It’s making me hungry for some good bread! I don’t get a ton of butter, but there is a light, salty buttery sheen that comes through with wear. A surprisingly wearable and interesting savory scent!

I'mma come back and update this review once the bottle's had a chance to settle, because fresh out of the mail this smelled like buttered caramel bread on me -- gorgeous, but not nearly as savory as other people seem to be getting!

Wasn't sure when I ordered this one but took a chance. Anyway: In the bottle: Getting butter and caraway; not at all what I expected. On, wet: Kind of a bread, caraway, rosemary, and olive oil thing--the olive oil note was somewhat unexpected. Drydown: Took a while to develop, and I was left with a caraway and olive-oil kind of thing. Not sure how well this holds up on its own as a scent but maybe a great layering scent? This one may need some time to rest. I think it's the olive oil/butter note that isn't quite working for me, may layer it with other herby scents to see what happens.

Also fresh from the mail, but purchased from another buyer. 

The caraway and rye are the most notable parts I think. It does smell like a loaf of bread, but I'm also getting a bit of unexpected sweetness. Nothing sugary or overly sweet, and not enough to push it out of the savory category, but it's there. I think it has to be from the butter. Was hoping for the rosemary to come through, but I'm not catching any of it. Also not coming off quite as warm as I'd hoped, this is the loaf once it's cooled. So a kind of fluffy rye, slightly sweetened caraway smell. 

Overall, a nice comforting, fun blend. Not my usual type that I go for, but I think it'll be fun to have some on hand.

Edited by deadlyves
Adding thoughts as I keep sniffing

Loaf was the Lilith I was most excited about because it's like nothing else I have worn.  It starts out with a lot of rye and caraway, then added to that is the fresh-baked bread, not too sweet, and then a salty butter note.  I'm not sure I can smell any rosemary.  It has no throw on me (which is not unusual for my skin chemistry) but is an oddly comforting skin scent and may indeed be bottle worthy. 

This is just as unique and cozy as I'd hoped. Initially, it smells like sourdough bread to me, but then the delicious herbs start coming through. I definitely smell the caraway and rye, which seem to hide the rosemary. Maybe that will come through more as it ages. There's a little salt and butter if I look for it, but on my skin, it's mostly about the herbs and dough. I probably only need my decant, but I'm happy to have this for the novelty and comfort.

In the imp I just get dry rye flour and salt. On my skin I get a more yeasty bread scent with the nutty-anisey carway. In the end I get just a breath of rosemary. No butter, which is fine by me. A really fun, soft blend.

Warm bread and butter with rosemary and salt. Definitely rye bread. I don't know what caraway smells like alone, but according to google it's an herbal scent with berry undertones, which I'm guessing is why I got a whiff of Alice off this!

I hope bread scents become a Lilith tradition - this and Bread Lumps are so fun and realistic!

This is amazing! I initially get the bread with the caraway, rosemary, and salt. It smells like a delicious, fresh focaccia just pulled out of the oven. On my skin, after it dries down, the herbs really sweeten up, and it's the most comforting scent. It has definitely moved away from smelling like bread, and it's just sweet herbs. Totally a win!

This smelled like dill pickles on me initially! But that quickly turned into buttery bread with salt. Some rosemary I believe comes through a little after drying down.

Very unique scent so I'm glad I could try this but it's not sweet enough for me to buy a bottle. It's very comforting though, which is something desperately needed today. 

Update: If you missed out on this, check out Unsubtle Euphemism from the 2021 Lupercalia collection. It's a more soft and sweeter version of Loaf to my nose, so if your skin chemistry seems similar to mine you might want to give that a shot!

Edited by fairybites
Added comparison to Unsubtle Euphemism

Oh this is fun!

I don't have the sample with me as I usually do when reviewing, but this is bread all the way on me. 

Fresh on it's like a baked rye rosemary bread, with a hearty dose of yeast, and some heavy caraway for good measure. 

It goes a lot sweeter on, and is quite strong on me, I absolutely feel the Focaccia vibe torikitty is getting, with a nice dried herb backing. 

There's also another note mixing in with the sweetness, almost a cornmeal? It's hard to describe but it smells gritty, like the baked cornmeal on the underside of a homemade pizza or the like, it's an unusual scent journey, but absolutely a fun one. It's an oddly sweet bready smell, but one I don't mind, and if you're looking for a signature smell that'll be greeted with a "what is that?" after a hug than this is the one for you!

This smells sweet, to me -- kind of buttery, sugary, caramel-y as one reviewer noted above. Maybe my nose is obsessing about the berry-like qualities of the caraway and that's throwing me off? It's a pleasant scent in its own right, but it doesn't smell like bread, at least not to me.

Wet: Wow! This tastes, er, I mean smells just like buttered rye toast.

Drydown: Buttery and yeasty with the zing of rye. There's a cozy, doughy softness that really makes this scent inviting. The more it dries, the more the rye settles down, allowing the creaminess of the butter and doughiness of the bread to shine.

Dry: Finally the rosemary enters the mix and its freshness takes things away from being an oddly non-sweet foodie blend and more towards being an intriguingly buttery herbal cologne-type blend. It's odd, sure, but somehow it's actually quite wearable.

7.5 out of 10 bones

This does smell like an artisan rye, dotted with some slightly anise-like caraway (but its not overwhelming here), rosemary, and salt. There's also some butteriness in the background, and I feel like I get more rosemary with wear. Of the other bread scents I've tried from the Lab, the bread note in the currently available Pandemic Vanitas is closest to this, although that one isn't as hearty and doesn't contain any herbs. To my nose, it does not smell like the milk bread in Unsubtle Euphanism at all.

Loaf is probably the best luck I've had with a savory gourmand scent, although I'm undecided on whether or not I'd wear it. :P