Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Artist's Entrance

A soft amber glow illuminating beams of Douglas fir and Alaskan yellow cedar, polished with rosin and warm with leather and burnished steel.

Gorgeous amber and rosin with fragrant and gleaming green fir. This reminds me of Elf, which is a very good thing as that is one of my favorite blends. With time the fir recedes to the background and the smooth leather becomes a bit more prominent. This blend would be perfectly at home in the RPG collection—it’s the scent of an Elf Rogue stalking through a forest.

In the bottle: Brown leather and rosin. Nice. 

Wet on my skin: Soft, lovely brown leather with sun-warmed fir and cedar bark, little bit of green from needles. 

Dry: This is really, really nice. Soft, musky-warm dark brown leather, sun-warmed fir and cedar - mostly bark, little bit of needle green, and rosin, which I think is contributing heavily to the "evergreen bark" feel of the fir/cedar. Once it dries fully, it's close to the skin and is a "my skin but better" sort of scent. Soft, warm, comforting, little bit fuzzy. ❤️ 

This was really good.

Rosin, leather, and steel suffused with golden amber against a forest background.

It's like a D&D party taking a break from their travels in a sunlit grove.

Fir, leather, and cedar are the standout notes on me at first, before the leather overtakes the tree notes. It reigns for some time, and at one point becomes a little too much for me with the sharp steel note, but eventually, it calms down, leaving behind one of the glorious golden ambers from Pa-Pow Hair Gloss.

I agree with those that have said that this would be right at home in the RPG collection.

I really enjoyed the beginning and final phases of this scent, but I'm a little iffy on the leather/steel phase. I'm going to have to retest this one and see if I'm able to avoid the leather and steel phase after it has had more time to settle (and hopefully get some of the rosin)! 

Edited by doomsday_disco

In the imp and freshly applied I get mostly leather and steel with a bit of cedar and a little of what smells like lubricant to me, very much like a Steamworks blend. I wonder if that is just a chemical edge from the leather, as this dries down the leather gets softer and more worn. Still rather woody, but I get more fir than cedar in the end, with a pineyness from the rosin. I don't get much amber, but it's there if I sniff really deeply. This is right between a gorgeous forest scent and a cozy study to me. But it also evokes grand halls (man I miss things like concerts and the theater). 

Artist’s Entrance is a beauty!
Amber and leather sparkling with tree resins and a gleam of metal. The fir is really prominent in the wet phase, though is melds into the background quickly. The rosin is great. The leather is soft and brown (If I’m lucky, it’ll strengthen a bit with age!). The cedar isn’t taking over, it’s very tame actually. Sometimes metal amps on me, here it’s a perfect little touch. Amber is just right, not powdery or dominating.

Yummy~

I agree with the RPG and Steamworks comparisons.

This is what sexy geeks smell like in my dreams. 

Edited by artisjok

Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Based on the notes alone this should sing on me (wood! leather! rosin! steel! yes!), except that one dreaded word.... "polished." Whenever I see that in front of anything I know to brace myself. It's just kind of makes everything go sour on me. And of course that's what it does here.

It takes about an hour for rosin to come in and save the day, so, yes, on the late dry down I get the warm woody pleasantness I'm after. But it takes a while to get there so I'm not positive this one's a keeper.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

This is a GLORIOUS wood scent! Oh my gosh. Extremely pretty and glowing, like a box made of aromatic woods. I'm not great at identifying individual woods, but let's note that I get very little piney-ness from the fir. The leather/amber are wonderfully complementary notes here. I couldn't tell you what steel or roisin smell like, so no idea how those factor in, but everything balances perfectly and overall this blend just WORKS. An exceptionally evocative wood/leather scent that wears true to concept.

Today I was craving leather. Blind bottled this last year and I wasn't sure about it, but today it's my jam. Clean, bright leather (my favorite perfume note), and clean, ever-so-slightly spicy fir. Unisex leaning toward masculine or "tomboy" 😏.

So thankful for the Liliths for bringing me back to BPAL after a long hiatus. I look forward to reading her adventures each year, and I'm finding all kinds of treasured scents now.

This is a gorgeous amber and wood resin blend. It's very unisex but delicate. Golden-brown light. Medium throw and wear length.

Started out heavily steel and leather, but they faded almost instantly and the cedar note took over. I can't detect the other notes, this is mostly cedar with a brush of leather on me. It's okay! I'm not too crazy about woody notes but it's nice. Won't be upgrading, but I'm glad to try more of the 2020 Liliths!

This continues to be gorgeous. Artist's Entrance carries me to art stores and museums: the smell of canvas leather and wood frames and turpentine paints and oils and clean spaces. I can feel creativity both finished and unfinished rolling off of this blend. It transports me to a place filled with paintings and beauty. The leather is unlike anything else I've ever smelled from the lab. It really is like stretched canvas, bouncing off of gleaming cut mirrors hung on the opposite wall. The amber reminds me a bit of the House of Mirrors atmo amber. So so beautiful.

If you fear the strength of fir and cedar taking over, fear not: this wood has already been cut into frames, ready and waiting to frame the art that's been created for it. Knowing that there is rosin here, I can vaguely smell the dusty creaminess of it in the background. I think the burnished steel is twining with the gleaming amber to form the metallic shining note that says "mirror" to me. 

This is so atmospheric and at the same time swanky and expensive. Wholly unique, in that I've never smelled anything exactly like it from the lab. I love wearing this to teach my university music classes in, because it matches the space and mood perfectly and gives me a little boost throughout my day. I am so happy to have a bottle of Artist's Entrance!

This got cut from the decant circle I participated in.  I'm so glad to have finally snagged a decant of it, and I wish I had more.  In the vial and wet, I'm struck by the amber, but on my skin the amber just serves as a kind of transparent, glowing envelope for the leather and evergreen woods, so it's got both culture and nature somehow.  It seems to be about -- if a perfume has a theme -- the transmutation of nature into art.  It's perfectly gender neutral.  I love this one.