Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Aoede, Melete, Mneme

Unfortunately, this is my least favorite bottle of the 5 I purchased blind. I thought the sugar aspect might save me, but the cream still goes 'fake-plasticky- candle' on my skin and it's a damn shame. I thought the sandalwood might save me too, but alas, it never shows up. This is likely my skin's fault, as cream scents and I don't often get along, but I was so hopeful with the sandalwood and vanilla husk in there! 

Alas. To the sell/swap pile it goes. 

I get a good deal of sandalwood from this one, which just goes to show that skin chemistry is a funny thing. :D It's a creamy sandalwood. The sugared cream makes the vanilla smell foodie to my nose, but it's a lovely vanilla. The caramel is tame, and not as strong as in the black vanilla/caramel/chilli trio. Overall, this actually reminds me of shortbread biscuits. It's warm, lightly sweet, and sort of bready, to my nose. 

Edit: This keeps getting better and better with rest. It's so lovely and comforting. I think it will age beautifully! 

Edited by feyofthefellwood

This is a warm, soft, cream that is sweetened by a hint of smooth vanilla caramel. The soft and fragrant sandalwood lends a touch of richness to the scent. It’s warm, gentle, sweet, and comforting. 

This is a very buttery cream scent to my nose. It's not overly sweet and I struggle to detect caramel. There's something almost bread-like about the scent, but nothing bitter--maybe like a very rich bread pudding? Someone in the Liliths thread asked how it compares to Underpants. To me, there are some similar elements, but this is lower-pitched and much more foodie/buttery than Underpants. I quite like it though it is more foodie than I would normally go for. It captures the beautiful, deep quality of Lilith's singing that served as the inspiration. 

This is interesting. I can smell the cream right away, but it immediately folds into the vanilla husk, giving off a dry almost plastic smell. I think the sandalwood is also keeping it from going sweet. I don't smell any caramel. This actually smells just like my very old (1962) babydoll's skin.  I am glad that I got a decant of it, but this one is not to my taste, so no bottle upgrade.

Aoedae seems to have something in it like the butter note from White Larry, and also something almost plastic-like.

I can smell sugary vanilla cream, and a little caramel, and a little sandalwood if I hunt for it, but the odd butter-plastic is standing out in front.

On the wand, Aoedae smells buttery to me, but not plasticky, so safe to say the latter part is my skin doing a thing. I don't usually have issues with blends turning plastic on me, but this appears to be an exception.

Aoedae starts off as a creamy vanilla sandalwood on me, I'm not picking up on the caramel that much. As it dries down the sandalwood almost disappears and it ends up being a perfectly sweet vanilla custard type scent on my skin. I absolutely adore it both right out of the bottle and dried down. It's warm and soft, perfect for colder weather.

Straight outta the mailbox, I kinda love Aoedae.  The buttery cream note blended with vanilla husk and a tinge of caramel reminds me of the coconut macaroons I made a few months ago.  Sweetened condensed milk and lightly toasted coconut.  Or as stated in previous reviews...custard, shortbread, bread pudding (maybe even rice pudding?), etc.  It's very foodie to me.  I'm usually wary of caramel because it turns into an overly burnt sugar/electrical fire smell on me, but it's so subtle here.  Not detecting the sandalwood, or maybe that's where I'm getting the toasted coconut?  Whatever it is, I like it.

I've been repeatedly huffing my arm for almost six hours now, so good wear length.  Decent throw, because I can smell it over everything else I have tested today.

I'll let it rest and give it another test in a few days, but I'll most likely be grabbing a full bottle.

Buttery caramel sugar, and a whiff of smoke on me, actually. But yes, sugary, dense caramel. Very very sweet. Great throw and wear length.

This one is... way more buttery than I thought it would be. It's all about the buttery cream and caramel. It kind of reminds me of the buttermilk in White Larry, actually. The sandalwood is confined to a background role throughout wear, unable to compete with the buttery cream note. I can only smell it if I inhale really deeply and look for it -- otherwise, I would not know it was there.

This is too buttery for me, sadly.

Wet: A rich vanilla-caramel cream. Absolutely decadent. 

Dry: Okay, the rich scent has become quite... buttery. A rich, buttery vanilla-cream scent. Like. RICH rich.

I think this may be too buttery to upgrade to a big bottle, but I'll happily keep my decant around for when the mood strikes!

This is a very rich, warm scent, leaning rather foody on me, but something in it keeps it from going full-on foody... the sandalwood, maybe? Wet, I smell rich sweet cream and vanilla and sugar, with a toasted quality that I think is the caramel, and something lingering in the background that my nose registers as some kind of warm spice. It vaguely reminds me of warm spiced cookies, but I can't quite place what exactly it's reminding me of. As it dries down, it turns into a warm, creamy, sweet vanilla-touched scent, with the custardy/bread pudding/shortbread vibe lingering somewhere. The sandalwood adds a lovely depth and melds well with the caramel. I'll have to come back later after I've worn it for a few hours and report back how it evolves! So far, it's rather lovely and I feel like I'm enveloped in a creamy warm cloud of sweet vanilla that also manages to be subtle and not overpowering. 

Edit: After some hours, it seems to be rather buttery and the sandalwood becomes more apparent, with a whiff of caramel; albeit all a bit faintly. Hard to say since I'm sure I sweated most of it off on my walk earlier 🥴 Not sure if I want to upgrade to a full bottle or not of this one yet, I'll have to test further. So far I think I will enjoy my decant!

Edited by redwoobacca

In the imp and fresh on I get a deep, buttery toffee scent. There's almost a brown-butter nuttiness. As it sits the caramel fades a bit and more of the cream and vanilla come forward and make this less gourmand. I get just a little whiff of powdery sandalwood. Quite yummy. 

In the bottle I smell a very faint milky sweetness, like when making carmel but it hasn't come to a full boil. On the skin, I smell a ghost of Milk Moon, which is the happiest way cream could go for me; the flecks of caramel together with vanilla husks may be playing the role of dates here, and the white sandalwood is light and fresh, adding almost a crisp note to the cream. On the dry down I get a note that reminds me of the popcorn note that used to be in Miss Dior Chere before it was reformulated; it's a subtle, buttery, toastiness that makes me want to layer this with strawberries, which MDC also has. It's a soft, dreamy skin scent, like the memory of rocking happy babies to sleep.

This one has staying power to beat the band. Its like Gluttony but even more gluttonous. Lots of butter and cream and just enough sugar and caramel to make me love it. Warm smooth slippery sweet this is starting to sound like a def leppard song or worse so I'll go now.

If you like uber-buttery buttercream scents, this is for you. I also get a slight strawberry note even though there isn’t one listed. The sandalwood isn’t very obvious, but the slight saltiness from the caramel adds a nice balance. I bet aging will bring out the sandalwood more and take down the mega cream just a tad. Something in this (same with Metal Twins) reminds me of Boo + popcorn. This is wayyyy stronger and longer lasting than Metal Twins, though. I like it!! :yum:

I can't say no to the combo of vanilla and sandalwood (vanilla and any wood, really!) so I somehow ignored the fact that this has cream in. Cream rarely works on me. It smells awful to my nose, even in the bottle - like scalded milk. Thankfully, it smells way better once warmed by my skin. It becomes a subtle, sweet skin scent on me. Creamy vanilla toffee is the best way I can describe it. Not getting any of the wood. It's not quite what I was hoping for, and a bit too gourmand for my current tastes. If you love creamy gourmand scents though, give this a go!

Also, just as an FYI - the label differs from the name of this thread - my bottle says " Aoede, Melete, Mneme"

I wasn't all too impressed with this at first, but now I'm really digging it. It started off very very faint, so faint that I couldn't smell much of anything unless I had my wrist directly under my nose. But after drying and around 15 minutes, the throw got a lot better and the scent morphed from a sugared cream with a hint of caramel to a delicious buttery popcorn scent! Not sure why, maybe the caramel note has some salt and the sugared cream resembles butter.

I wasn't planning on a bottle upgrade initially, but popcorn is one of my top 3 BPAL notes. I'm glad I gave this a chance and didn't write it off.

I LOVE this scent! It is so so creamy and just enough sweet, without being overly sugary. Buttery, almost. It reminds me of the smell of mixing butter and caramel to dip caramel apples, just no apples of course. If anyone has smelled the mainstream perfume "Lait Sucre" I would compare this to that, but better. Much, Much, better.

Edited by annapramirez98
Spelling

My immediate favorite of all the amazing 2020 Liliths. I’m a sucker for anything with cream or vanilla! It’s very sweet. The buttery, slightly smoky caramel note is lovely (fans of Red Lantern, take note)  But there’s also a cleanness to Aoedae, like fizzy water. In that way it reminds me of a cream soda. I’m not picking up the sandalwood.  If you’re a foodie looking for a cream caramel scent, here’s your chance! Bottle for me.

The number one thing that stands out for me with this one is the caramel - I think my skin amps caramel so it's not surprising - closely followed by the sugared cream. Sandlewood is nowhere to be found. I second the note that it is almost buttery, this is a RICH scent. It has a great throw, but sadly, does not last long. This feels like the kind of scent you put on in the winter when you want to stay warm and cozy. I'm glad that I got a bottle. 

So I avoided this one, because caramel is terrible for me.  It either turns to burnt plastic or rancid butter.  I decided after reading reviews that I was gonna blind bottle it even though I promised myself I wouldn’t do that anymore lol.  

Im SO glad I did.  It is SUPER buttery in the bottle, and it does stay somewhat buttery, but it is also sweet and smooth a d for some reason actually reminds me a bit of Obatala.  I think the cream here is similar to the milk note in Obatala.  Obatala has always been number 2 in my all time favorite scents list, so this one shot right to the top too.  It’s like Obatala without the Coconut and sweeter and warmer.  It is amazing.  I’m getting a backup for sure.

Vanilla cream. Husk-dry. Buttery leaning towards yogurt. I can’t pick out the sandalwood, but it’s probably contributing to the light, tart yogurt sensation, which prevents this from being super sweet or cloying. 

This is a lovely wrist scent- low throw but I can sneak in a secret sniff whenever I want.