Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

A Vigilant Eye at Heaven’s Center

An emerald green, a verdant green, a green that is bursting with life, vitality and joy. This is the wet, bright green of wild growth: tiger fig leaf, coconut palm, neroli, mint chypre, green labdanum, green apple, jungle leaves, white amber, coriander, and tea leaf.

Ok, so I definitely love the color of the hair, and I adore Beth's takes on 'green.'  With so many notes, I had no idea where this would go - would it be tropical, like a jungle, right velvety leaves and wet dampness?  Would it be fruity from the apple and neroli?  Or could it go herbal with the coriander?  Sweet with the amber?

This is a bit of a morpher.  Splashed on it is immediately a bit apple juice-like, wet and bursting with an almost top note of cider fruitiness.  Afterwards I get a bit of the coconut and palm leaves - a smidge in scents like Black Pearl or other nautical scents, and then a kiss of fig leaf.  The whole thing then cools a smidge, with a very simple mint.  I can feel the cooling on my skin but this is not wintery.  It's, breezy, for lack of a better term.  The tea leaf brings to mind Holiday Moon, although this still stays very much smooth, slight apple, mint.  The labdanum and amber are not supremely forward, but something has to be grounding this, and it is definitely not just a series of top notes.  I think it's like... a bunch of light pastel and bright yellow green balloons, swirling in the breeze.  

It has pretty light life on me, but it's very pleasant.  The cooling is a nice touch.  It dries down to a light granny smith apple touch with maybe a hint of crushed herbs and the velvety part of a leaf.

This smells a good bit like Lush’s Demon in the Dark to my nose! It’s a refreshing and complex green apple + mint tea blend. A glowing green blend that would be really lovely in the heat of summer. 

In the bottle: Fresh, tangy, fruity green, with a hint of minty/eucalyptus.

Wet: Kind of a green/mango/papaya

Dry: Kind of a mugwort/old dried eucalyptus.

After a few minutes: Powdery soft and fresh herbs. Reminds me a bit of Chlorophyll and Californite Phoenix.

After first hour: Soft, powdery fresh with a hint of incense. Might be the labdanum, it has a faint similarity to Gaueko.

After two and a half hours:  ellocentipede mentioned it was like Demon in the Dark from LUSH, and I think they are right. I used to love Demon in the Dark and always wanted a perfume like it.

It's also a bit grassy now.

After 5 hours: Soft amber-y herbal.

Final verdict: I think this is a keeper.

Edit:  24 hours later I can still smell a bit on my wrist.

Edited by Greensleeves

I find this kind of difficult to describe. Wet, I mostly get the green apple and mint, with what might be the coconut palm lurking below. It's very juicy and fruity, but with a bit of green backbone that keeps it from going completely fruit salad on me. As it dries, the mint starts to dominate, and it goes pleasantly creamy. Longevity not great; it had almost completely faded within an hour or two. Overall it didn't wow me, but its pleasant and wearable enough for everyday.  

Review in TikTok form here!

This pulls up a vivid emerald jungle green in my smell/color synesthesia sense, and I don't' have anything else that comes anywhere near that color in my collection...that said, I don't think this is a good color for me. Big old smack in the face with green apple and mint soon as I pop the imp open, overpowering everything else. I put it on, and I'm getting green Jolly Rancher and dentist's office...oh no! I wait an hour and it's mellowed out significantly, but it's not sparking enough joy for me to keep it. I'll pass this one no.

Holy frijoles, this Lilith release has been a series of total knockouts so far.

This blend is really vying with Obatala for my favorite BPAL summer scent. It's all-caps TIKI. It's tropical, beachy, and warm, but also cooling and herbal and grassy at the same time -- somehow without being discordant at all. I was worried about the fruit going overly sweet -- it occasionally threatens to -- but the vegetal elements (palm, tea leaf, coriander, leaves) keep that in check so far. It smells like an all-expenses paid tropical vacation. It smells running through the cool surf of a remote island paradise with a freshly-made pina colada, wearing a wreath of tropical flowers and nothing else.

It's instantly a mood-booster, hinting at a sunny sweet future at the other end of this cold dark tunnel. I needed this shot of olfactory joy. ❤️

Mint, green apple, vegetable musk and a whiff of the tropics. This smells like it should be the Philippines. Good throw and wear length.

In the bottle I get a jumble of humid, deep almost murky greenness with a splash of juicy apple and a bit of mint. The apple and amber become indistinguishable, just sweet, fruity heart for the greens to build on. Humid and fresh and unlike anything in my collection, tropical but not in a heady-blooms way. Stunning! 

Bracing green mint, mingled with other green notes. I can not identify the apple underneath the vibrant spiky tropical foliage. An aromatic dark green herbal. Can't wait to test it in the summer heat. 

In the bottle and wet this is a dripping rich green scent, a smooth, minty-fruity-apple-y juice. It's bam-summery without being too obvious.

On me I don't love the dry down -- it becomes a tropical pine scent, vaguely reminiscent of an air freshener my dad uses in his car. At this stage I like it more layered with something (Life the Sculptor Molds Unceasingly is my current favorite pairing)!

Minty and green with a faint apple note. It almost reminds me of mouthwash? Sadly doesn't last too long on my skin. Wish the performance was better and I got more of the apple and some of the other notes like amber and tea leaf. It's not bad, but not what I expected. The mint is very strong and almost overshadows the rest of the notes.

Wet: Wet, leafy, a bit sweet. Color-wise, this is a deep blue-green scent for sure.

Drydown: Rainforest dampness plus... something... sort of an odd, fuzzy fruit note? Like an underripe fruit with a misty fuzziness to it. Imagine the skin of a kiwi over an underripe banana crossed with honeydew melon. Something like that, lol.

Dry: All of the above, plus cool, deep greenery, which helps pull it all together.

7 out of 10 bones

This morphed through three phases on me. The first one was extremely green, and it's so well-blended that I can't pick out any of the notes, but the blast of greenery kind of reminds me of Emerald Lace? Then the coconut becomes the dominant note on me and takes this into a super tropical territory for a while. But by the end of the day, it's become a perfume-y neroli and white amber scent with some coconut behind those notes, and it doesn't really smell green anymore.

I liked the initial phase, but the others weren't really my jam. It was fun to see how this one morphed, though!

The apple and mint combo up front is kind of weird. The mint wins out, though, and it is quite bracing. Overall, it settles into a general green scent, where I can't really pick out the notes. The coconut seems to be more frond than coconut meat or milk. I have a couple other fumes with neroli where it dominates, but it plays nicely in this scent.