Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A skeletal haze: opium tar accord bleeding over white sandalwood, orris root, wild plum, crystalline musk, and white tuberose.

Morphine

In the bottle: a thin opium smoke scent.

On skin: this is pretty. Opium is dominant, unsurprisingly, but it’s not a heavy black opium scent, not floral but smoky. It makes me think of a thin, hazy curl of smoke, like a veil. Ghostly and ethereal, ‘skeletal haze’ is pretty much an accurate description. The orris and sandalwood add a dry, almost dusty or powdery scent. I can’t smell the plum or the tuberose yet but this is very pretty and has a vintage feel to it. It reminds me of When Nothing Was, that same haze of opium, but less dark. It also reminds me of the opium from Red Lantern, but without the caramel note that amps on my skin.

Over time I still don’t smell the plum or the tuberose, but the opium has become a little smokier (but never overwhelming) and the musk seems to come out more. The crystalline musk is a soft white musk to me, and a gorgeous one. Slightly sweetish and close to the skin, it supports the opium beautifully. The scent speaks of faded yet timeless glamour and mystery. Really glad I bought this on a whim, normally these notes don’t grab me, but I’m really interested in Berlin Cabaret and the Weimar Republic (the scent is inspired by Anita Berber) so I had to try it and I’m so glad I have a bottle.

I so wanted to love this and I really thought that if it didn't work, the downfall was going to be the tuberose.  Or maybe even the crystalline musk.  But no, I think it was the opium!  One of the notes I was most looking forward to!

In the bottle, this is very pretty.  Dark, smoky, a little mysterious, feminine without being overly so, just a tiny perfumey.  But on me?  Baby powder.  Or, maybe, a tiny, tiny bit like the scented talcum dusting powder my mom kept in our bathroom when I was a kid (for use on fancy occasions).  But pretty much just a baby powder single note.

Skin chemistry decided this one for me.  It's a no-go.

Edited by Penance

*squints* Gun Moll, is that you?

Actually, this is a softer version of Gun Moll - a ton of opium, tar (which has a whiff of tobacco to me), skin musk, and enough florals to be reminiscent of Gun Moll's jasmine.

However, its got less bite and less oomph than Gun Moll. So basically, Gun Moll before she founds guns. Medium throw and wear length.

If you enjoyed Gun Moll, this one is very similar to that to me.