Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This smells far better than I would have imagined (especially given the extra creepy inspiration). A friend sent me a tester or else I wouldn't have tried it, but I'm contemplating a bottle. It smells like a rich, heady, almost intoxicating powder scent with sweetness. No clean soapiness here. Hopefully other reviews can better articulate what this scent is doing, but it's good! 

The chapter in Dead Blondes and Bad Mothers on Augusta Gein was so powerful and sad. The baby's breath heavy Lovers from the Vampire Tarot is one of my all-time favorite BPAL creations. Lately I've been loving all kinds of perfumes with powdery notes. How could I resist this?

I thought this would be a total win for me, so I blind bottled it. But I forgot one crucial thing - I hate actual Johnson & Johnson baby powder. Can't stand the stuff. It never occurred to me that this would smell like, well, actual baby powder.

And it does - super sweet and a little bit funky sour floral around the edges. I feel like I'm standing in a nursery with an armload of freshly changed babies but without the happy feeling of snuggling babies. It's just like, wait, where did all these babies come from? Why are people still using baby powder like they did decades ago? It's overwhelming, in all of its cloying, outdated sweetness. The baby's breath - such a papery, delicate floral - is not enough to compete with the baby powder. It is getting crushed underneath it. 

While being a perfectly innocent combination of notes, Mama Gein gives me a feeling of being trapped. Claustrophobia painted in fragile florals and vintage drug store cosmetics. I think this perfume is brilliant. 

I am sad that I will not be able to wear it happily, but it really does capture the concept perfectly. If you are a nostalgic at all for the scent of the talcum powder that came in the old pink shaker bottles, then this is a scent you should definitely try. 

This smells so light, & airy. Doesn't seem to last long on me. but that's okay, because I love putting it on! Smells exactly like the description, but also smells a bit like frankincense & bee's wax.

Floral and sweet baby powder. Very soft and gentle with an extremely low throw. Reminds me of my own mother, actually. Probably wouldn't wear this on its own, but I'm sure it'd be good to layer. 

Coming back to this 3 years since purchase. I don't come to this often because one day my skin had a reaction, but it was only that one day. When I wear this now I get up front babys breath, & it's lovely, light, & delicate. I've smelled the real thing & the flowers do not compare to this beauty. Next I get powder, not just baby's powder, but cosmetics pressed powder. I imagine someone using a puffball to put it on their face, some flowers on the table nearby. This scent leans a bit more femme, but I still wear it as a male on special occasions. Plus talking to friends about the story behind the scent too gets them thoroughly intrigued! Has low throw, short wear length, but nice to sniff on the wrist. I think this would make a wonderful fabric spray.

Edited by Rane.
*typos, & elaborating