Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Things We Do Make Echoes

Goldfish-orange overripe mangoes, blackcurrant, strawberry pulp, red benzoin, honey, streaks of white ginger, a splatter of star anise, an erratic jolt of eucalyptus and mint, and a dribble of absinthe.

This smells like something I've smelled before. Not necessarily a previous bpal, but something else. Maybe a candle from somewhere like World Market. Mangoes and strawberry are not the first thing that come to mind. There's a fruitiness, but it's surrounded by the the spiciness of the ginger, star anise, and eucalyptus which really stand out to my nose. It's like spicy, fancy fruit? It kinda feels like a room freshener that you would smell being pumped around a nice hotel.

Edited by torikitty

Okay, so on first application i get a blast of juicy fruit and pink starburst candy. The internet tells me pink starburst is strawberry, a-ha! which morphs into identifiable mango. as a person who has smashed many mangoes with an immersion blender, i can tell it makes a big fruity entrance. MANGO! Sweet, not acidic. Then mango + fat berries! 

I blind bought the bottle because i was enamored with the concept hook, line and sinker (Delirium was my favorite of the Endless, and I love Kathy Acker, and obviously Delirium has the best font, etc etc). Immediately afterward while I was waiting for the order to come in the mail I was wondering what the hell I'd done as I tend to like bitter herbaceous, dirt, dark, and tend not to like purely sweet candy type scents. Which would seemingly indicate that I am sweety fruit smells averse, and perhaps tone deaf/heavy handed possibly over zealous with dank swamp scents, so reader beware. Also a recent imp test drive of Bordello is making me think that blackcurrant might not be my thing, and I get too preoccupied with that fruity/juicy berry note, so lovers of tropical+black currant might go hog wild for the opening. But there are no big florals or heady musks, or evil basement smells that I can detect.

When I'm not obsessing on the fruit and chillax, there's some way tranquil rainy crisp shaded Japanese pagoda at the botanical garden vibes and dry smells in the background, the ginger is dry to me, and the eucalyptus smells like minty forest and grass, very mellow -- no cat pee of tea tree/camphor slap your face eucalyptus thank goodness. After the scent calms down in half an hour, I think i might be enchanted? these soft dry grass herbaceous smells are my cup of tea for sure. There's a kind of medicinal fresh smell that is blended with the benzoin, but thats a super phantasmic ethereal hint of a ghost of a dream noticeable to me. Really elegant dry down. I'm kinda getting a Jardin Sur le Nil memory, but Things We Do... is a lot less fancy hair gel smelling to me. Also the last time I smelled Jardin Sur le Nil was like 10 years ago, but there's a kinda tropical + garden smell. Then the garden bit fades a way and there's a vague jam on skin scent afterward.

Update: every time I've worn this I've received components on the way I smell

Edited by Supertrooper Omni
typo

Okay, I had to actually leave my apartment today to take a friend to and from a medical procedure, so I had to cosplay as an adult today and actually get up early, bathe, and put on shoes. Needed an energy boost as only had 4 hours of sleep. Reached for my new bottle of this. WOW am I glad I went with my gut on this one; it is such a morpher on me. In the bottle: Total faceful of Starburst Fruit Chews, really! Super duper fruity and sweet, I got lots of mango and strawberry and orange. On, wet: This one opens up really quickly, like throwing a bottle of orange glitter and fruit juice against the wall. The fruit develops out very quickly into more recognizable, fruit-like scents; I'm getting the distinctive dark berries and fresh oranges listed as well as strawberries. There is a TEENY bit of some kind of spice and herb in there when it goes on wet as well. Drydown/development: Takes a long time and lasts a long time; the end result is something you'd never guess from the initial in-bottle scent and application: You wind up with a sophisticated, soft, fuzzy sort of fruit-musk/chypre thing with a bit of dry white ginger and a teeny hint of dry green mint. It goes from being a very wet, juicy, almost gourmand to this gorgeous sophisticated thing that I would buy ten gallon drums of if it were a body wash.

Fruit scents are not normally my thing...but, WOW, do I love this. It starts off as chaotically fruity, then focuses in to become a coherent fruit scent with some bite at the core. (For fellow Sandman fans, this shift reminds me of the moment in Brief Lives where Delirium focuses in order to tell Destiny off and help Dream pull it together. There's chaos on top, but there's more sense and sharpness at the center of this multicolored cloud than you expected.)

I would say that the one fruit you have to like for this to work is mango. If you feel iffy about the others, you might be okay, but mango's a star player throughout. 

Edited by hepkitten

Mangoes, strawberry, whiff of honey, and star anise. This smells fruity, but underneath the fruity flesh and skin, is a deeper spicier base. Beware fae fruit, as it is not just fruit. Great throw and wear length.

A bit nervous to put this on as about half the notes are good on me, the other half not so much. In the imp pretty much all I get is mango and strawberry, so juicy and sweet. There's that deep rich nectar sweetness of mango (god I really want one now) and it's sort of cut by than thinner, slightly tarter strawberry juice. Tempted to sip it. On my skin, the juiciness gets dialled all the way down and it smells almost floral now. I can't pick any one note, except maybe the ginger at this point. It's like a fruity floral with something spiced beneath it. Sort of tropical. As dries the floral aspect goes away, and it's more softly fruity, and I'm pretty sure I can get the eucalyptus and mint. A really interesting combination with the fruit,  it's like a tropical garden. 

This smells so tropical in the imp. I get the mango, the strawberry, and the ginger immediately, and it stays about the same while wet on my skin. As it dries, the fruits soften, and I get a very, very gentle resin note. There's a very light spiciness from the ginger and anise, too. For something that packed such a punch in the imp, this dries down to a very pretty, gentle fruity scent. On my skin, everything blends together so well that, in the dry stage, it's very difficult to pick out individual notes. It's definitely got a familiar feeling... Like a tropical lotion or body wash I've smelled before, but better. This is lovely.

Hi there! I used to be somewhat active on the forums, but when a close family member passed away I just ... stopped posting - although I continued wearing (and loving) BPAL (although a bit more sporadically). There is no real direct connection between these things, just couldn't focus -  grief is funny that way sometimes.

In any case, I decided to make a BIG order in honor of Lupers and got a few other nice things as well in the same order. This was a blind bottle and the one I was most excited about! I love LOVE mango scents and the description of 'goldfish orange overripe mangos' sounded perfect! 

'The Things We Do Make Echoes' does not disappoint. It is a big joyful blast of mango that dries down into a lovely mixed fruit scent (but still mango-predominant)  with some depth underneath. My bottle is brand new (I did manage to wait 48 hours before slathering some on though, lol) and I hope with time I'll be able to distinguish some of the non-fruit notes a little more clearly - particularly the anise (a note I also love). 

I adore this and need to get my hands on more. Its a big, rich, creamy smoothie with mango up front and what Ive recently learned to identify as blackcurrant. I dont get any of the cool sharpness of eucalyptus or mint, instead theres something that is really grounding this and giving it a darker tone in the background. Still, it really is a bright orange scent, tropical but not citrusy. 

On a hot day, it opens up and im able to pick out some honey and maybe some ginger? But overall this just blends so smoothly into one cohesive bundle of joy.

I've been wanting one of the Sandman scents for ages, and finally picked this one! I love this scene in the comics. ❤️

This is very fun, and a bit chaotic - exactly right! It goes on as a big heap of mixed fruit: mainly mango, but with, just...a whole bunch of other juicy ripe fruits right behind that, hard to pick out individual notes. It's sweet-ish but not overly sweet - it's ripe fruit, not, like, sugar-sweet! If it were a color it'd be a tropical sunset: orange, pink, yellow, red.

As it dries, a little hint of something...greener?...comes out. If I didn't know the notes, I'm not sure I'd specifically think 'eucalyptus' or 'mint', but it's definitely something that gives it a little sharpness and a little...not exactly edge, but, like...you turned from the tropical fruit groves to encounter the clean straight lines of bamboo, as a sort of visual equivalent? It's a white ginger, I think, not a dark ginger like in Shub-Niggurath - lighter and more playful.

If you tried Tahitian Landscape, it's a little like that in feel, but minus all the florals and plus much more mango/general fruit!

I will say it went on big so I didn't put much on, but it seems to be fading fast, though, again, I didn't put very much on to start because it started out loud, so maybe I'll need to experiment with amounts!