Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Please Scream Inside Your Snake Oil

Tying in with our experimental work in fear: we have screamed into our Snake Oil… and we can’t stop sniffing ourselves! BPAL’s signature scent — deep, rich earthy notes swirled with vegetal musks, sugared vanilla bean, and dark spices — has been polluted by the funnel cake frenzy that is our Please Scream Inside Your Heart perfume blend. The results are so comforting, we almost forgot why we started screaming in the first place. (Almost.)

First thought when wet: Oversweet. Funnel cake that was left out in the sun, sitting next to some honey, for a few hours.

Drydown: The typical Snake Oil comes out and evens out the funnel cakeness. Somehow the vegetalness sticks out slightly higher than normal, but it's not overwhelming.

Dry: It mellows out to a slightly sweeter Snake Oil. I feel like the powdered sugar is easy to pick out. It's nice, I can see this aging nicely.

Nope. Nope nope nope. The concept was almost exactly on the nose for me: it smells like I ate too much funnel cake at a cheap parking lot carnival and then I got on a pirate ship ride or something else that sends everything sloshing and I can taste it threatening to come back up. I had to scrub it off. I'm going to forget about it for 3-4 years to see if Snake Oil does its thing.

I get extreme funnel cake when I sniffed this in the bottle (it just arrived today). It smells kind of like day old funnel cake meaning it’s sort of dry.. the day old funnel cake burns off after about 10 minutes to a more dreamy, creamy sweet Snake Oil. It probably needs some resting one after it’s ride from the West Coast so I’m going to give it a few days before I test it again to see if it’s a different experience. I do like it a lot though, it’s carny Snake Oil!!

As torikitty mentioned, the vegetal aspect DOES somehow stick out more, and I'm not sure why. I get it *very* strongly in the bottle and slightly less strongly on my skin. 
Notoriously, I am one of those people for who, Snake Oil pretty much only works after its aged...well...an age. Typically a looooong age- 12 months or more. So  while I'm not pleased that I'm not getting either my beloved aged Snake Oil nor my new favorite Please Scream Inside Your Heart, I'm also not exactly surprised.

I bet by next summer I'll be smitten ;) 

I am so confused by this one.  Snake Oil works for me, no aging required. This smells neither like like S.O. nor funnel cake. It goes tangy green, like freshly cleaned bile from a carnival ride. Damn you, skin chemistry.

I think I won the skin chemistry lottery here because Please Scream Inside Your Snake Oil is playing very nice on me.

In the bottle, this is mostly fried dough but on my skin it's Snake Oil mellowed by funnel cake. I was worried that there would be too much of the "fried" note, but it's really more sweet bread dough with a hint of "this isn't good for my arteries." It's a subtle balance, with the Snake Oil being supported by the funnel cake, and a strangely comforting combination.

This has the usual Snake Oil throw but a small dab is really bringing a smile to my face this afternoon.

I am LOVING Please Scream Inside Your Snake Oil, after my initial "Whaaaat is this?!" reaction straight from the mailbox. 

PSIYSO was literally dried celery seed smothering sharp, fresh Snake Oil that first day.  Oh, so weird!  I was...alarmed.  I put both Screams away in my chilling cabinet and occupied myself with other less-weird perfumes.  

10 days later, I gave it another sniff.  Still a bit of the vegetal blast initially, as others have noted, but now I could smell other interesting things happening underneath...namely, carb-laden confections and a more developed SO.  I decided to give it a chance and skin test.

For me, the vegetal notes quickly shrink back after application.  That is followed by the scent of a funnel cake, fresh out of the fryer and generously coated in a dusting of powdered sugar.  I swear that I can actually smell the hot oil as it soaks up the powdery sugar, making it all gooey and sticky.  The fryer oil scent dies away little by little.  I also get the sense of dryness mentioned in a previous review.  

Whereas PSIYH smells more like syrupy cinnamon French Toast to me,  PSIYSO is true funnel cake.  Within 20 minutes, it is such an accurate interpretation of funnel cakes that I am contemplating a trip to the kitchen to whip up a batch of them, and then stuffing my face until my blood sugar is completely jacked and I pass out.

A good way into drydown, the Snake Oil starts to peek out more.  It's balanced with the sweet fried dough for a while, and then starts to dominate at around the one hour mark.  I am eventually left with a lingering sugary Snake Oil, and I am here for it.  

I can't wait to find out what a few months does for PSIYSO.  I'll happily snap up more bottles for aging. 

Initially, in the bottle, this was a fresh Snake Oil scent but with more musk than usual.  There is indeed a kind of...funky note to the musk.  It's not something unusual to a Snake Oil scent, but it is stronger than usual.  On me, this one's a confusing morpher: fresh Snake Oil with extra funk --> fresh Snake Oil (not super funky anymore) and something sweet and pastry-like --> pure baby powder --> pure baby powder turns into about 1/3 powdered sugar --> funk is back, along with the Snake Oil, but it's covered in baby/powdered sugar. 😕

I think this needs some aging.  It's a bit confusing right now.

I guess I lucked out, because I didn't get any amplified vegetal musk or any of the qualities I dislike about fresh Snake Oil from this on me.

I get the BREAD PUDDING from Please Scream Inside Your Heart pretty strongly at first (I say bread pudding because it's a mushy, cinnamon-filled type of dough that's not crunchy enough to be a churro and too cinnamon-y to remind me of funnel cake, but I totally get Amazonia's cinnamon french toast description), backed by the Snake Oil, which is heavier on the Snake Oil spices on me. The Snake Oil increases in strength over time, and eventually, its vanilla comes to the front of the scent, along with some powdered sugar (which I did not get from Please Scream Inside Your Heart), and it is GLORIOUS. This usually never happens to me unless the Snake Oil has been aged, so I am really happy that I don't have to tuck this one away to get that amazing vanilla. 

Maybe I should scream inside my Snake Oil more often. 😱

Edited by doomsday_disco

Yeah. So. I've been a fan of Snake Oil since 2008. A BIG fan. I love most of the variants I've tried. This? This is fantastic. This is SNEKITY SNAKE OIL with added pastry sweetness. I don't detect extra cinnamon, I just get sweet pastry. Nom nom nom, Scream Inside Your Snake Oil, indeed. Nom.

I forgot to add: in the beginning there was an interesting thing going on. I could have sworn I was smelling Snake Oil and pastry scent floating in the breeze on a summer's day. That might sound weird, and it was fleeting but, it was there. Very neat.

ETA: this dries down to a delicious pastry. Nom nom.

Edited by HerbGirl
Pastry ending!

Some of these reviews had me nervous, but actually this ended up smelling like I was expecting! I like Snake Oil both fresh and aged, although they smell different to me, and I've tried a bunch of SO variants.

PSIYSO is definitely fresh Snake Oil, but with a sweet pastry note and stronger vanilla. I dabbed a little plain SO on my other hand to be able to make a more direct comparison, and PSIYSO is sweeter and creamier and its musk feels darker and a little sugared. As it dries, it's definitely more vanilla-forward than SO itself, and the spices are softer.

Basically, if SO + funnel cake sounds appealing to you, this is it and you'll like it. I love many SO variants and gourmands, so it's pretty squarely up my alley (and I almost blind bottled it!).

This smells like SO with extra vanilla and musk. I actually feel like this is how snake oil smells on me once it's aged a few years. I'm not a gourmand lover in general, and the PSIYH didn't even make it onto my skin. It was a big nope for me. This one is just extra vanilla SO which is a big yes! 😁

Funnel cake and Snake Oil. I can't typically wear Snake Oil, as it turns into some sort of vanilla plastic funk. In here, the plastic bit is contained, so it makes me think of a whiff of plastic toys, which actually goes with the funnelcake and the incensey snake oil musk, which just screams summer carnival. It makes me nostalgic for last year's summer. Great throw and wear length.

In the imp I get fresh SO and powdered sugar. On my skin some delicious fried dough comes out as well. An absolutely delicious combination. Truly almost makes me forget why I'm screaming. 

In the bottle: smells like Snake Oil and funnel cake. 🤷‍♀️

Wet: Whoa, butter batter! With a little of that delightful sugary darkness that is Snake Oil.

Dry down: Still a little too buttery battery for me. If this doesn't turn gorgeous soon, I'm gonna do what Marared suggested and hide it for a few years. The throw is nice. I feel like it really needs aging, though. 

In the decant, I get a bit of that same sweet, oily, doughy scent from PSIYH, but it's way more subtle here -- it's like an extra sweet and rich Snake Oil. On me, the SO is dominant while the funnel cake scent is a background player -- it adds just a little extra sweetness to the SO that tips it more to the vanilla/musk side and downplays some of the heavier, incense-y notes in regular SO. So, yeah, if the idea of a more gourmand Snake Oil appeals to you, this is worth trying!

I didn't touch my decant until this week because of how those early reviews read! So I don't know what fresh hell I might have smelled back then, but right now it smells like fresh Snake Oil with just enough fried dough to be noticeable but not enough for it to go plastic on me. The churro-spice aspect is also way dialed down and I don't get any of the caramel or syrup that I hated in PSIYH: it's just the dough in here! It's definitely worth a try if you're looking for a new gourmand SO blend, though it's absolutely fresh SO with all the caveats that accompany it. Only time will tell if it ages nicely, I know some SO blends age differently.

Wet: This smells just like Snake Oil, with extra musk and vanilla! 

Dry: Yes. There it is. If Snake Oil was transformed into a baked good.. this is it. Right here. It's not necessarily reading as "funnel cake" to me, but pastry note? Yes.

It's glorious, and I imagine it'll only get better with age.

This started off as mostly the funnel cake from Please Scream Inside Your Heart with a hint of Snake Oil. But as it started to dry, the Snake Oil totally overtook the funnel cake and pushed it into the background.

I'm sure as this ages, it'll get even sweeter. But even without much age to it, this is still a pretty sweet Snake Oil blend. I actually like it a little bit more than regular Snake Oil! If you're a big fan of Snake Oil, you have to try this.

Ooh I love it. I'm not sure how the captured scent of a decadent treat like funnel cakes (which I've never smelled but I know it's fried and sugary) can make a strong perfume like SO more wearable. 

Don't get me wrong I like regular SO but it can get to heavy for me and the vanilla sometimes becomes to strong, almost candlelike. 

Here I get a sweet baked goods scent when wet and while it dries the snake oil becomes more prominent. Yep. Snake Oil and baked goods. For me it has just the right amount of sweetness.

It is long lasting, I could smell it in my hair the next day.

I think I'll get a bottle of this. 

So instead of writing my papers for finals, I'm gonna write this review cuz school is boring (just kidding! I love you, school, I just don't wanna write papers anymore 😭)

This is amazing! I need to get like at least 10 bottles of this cuz I'm gonna put it in everything all the time, which I will probably say about other smellies too, but this one has made it to my top 10 everyday use oils. 

Its a yummy, sugary sweet, creamy, buttery vanilla with a hint of sexy from the Snake Oil. Its not too over the top with the sweetness (tho I definitely enjoy over the top sweetness), this just feels balanced and lovely. 

OG Snake Oil tends to get a sharp headache-inducing incensey note on me, and I usually can't enjoy those spicy vanilla Coca Cola notes until hours after application (my old imp from approx 2005 ish is still pretty potent). It smells so good on my friend though. I always thought about layering it with something super sweet, but was turned off by the potential headache. I'm glad I took the risk here!

Then stuff like Midway sometimes goes plasticy on me depending on - I dunno, mood, or time of the month, I didn't smile at the bottle correctly, or something...who knows. I sometimes like the plastic cuz it reminds me of scented dolls from when I was a kid, but anywho...

So far no plastic here, just sweet sexy perfection. 

The staying power is great too. This the second day in a row I've worn in, I could still smell it on my pjs and hair, but I needed more.

Sweet and fun, plus a splash of adultness - that's my life in a nutshell.

Received today in a Forum purchase. It's in a 5mL roller ball bottle, not the original Lab bottle, so I don't know if that will skew my in-bottle impressions. 

In the (decanted) bottle: Initially, it's just extra sweet Snake Oil, but not in the same way other sweetened Snake Oil versions -- Womb Furie, Snake's Kiss -- have been. After a bit, I can detect an element that's more like powdered sugar baked good than like cloying honey.

On my skin:

Wet, it's basically regular (aged almost a year) Snake Oil -- which, in my opinion, is fabulous enough in itself. As it dries, I get maybe a liiitle extra sweetness, but not necessarily more than I'd get from sultry, well-aged Snake Oil to begin with. 

Huh. For better or for worse, that's about where this stays on me, years-old aged Snake Oil. I'm a little disappointed that the finished product is not more novel on my skin chemistry, but since I love SO, I cannot complain. 

This smells just like the original Snake Oil with a bit of a gourmand edge. It's very, very similar to the original though. I think this one is slightly more sugary while Snake Oil is more simple musky vanilla and smooth spice. I think they're both similar enough that I don't need both!

Why do I love this? Way more than I thought I would! This has the usual sugared vanilla and musk of snake oil but it reads much more powdered sugar. There's a bit of a fried note but I wouldn't call it greasy or oily, just smells like a delicious pastry. So a snake oil pastry covered in powdered sugar. I'm a gourmand lover but even still there are only a few scents that truly make me want to eat my arm. This is one!! I'm interested to see how it pairs side by side with Midway.