Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Lemon

It's funny that I should pick up the imp of Lemon for a review just as soon as I finished the review for the single note of Lime; there are some distinct similarities in how the scent behaves, so if you've seen this before, well ... you'll have seen this before.

The scent itself is pale yellow sitting in a patch of sunlight; it's like you're in the kitchen, hand-squeezing a lemon, and you look over from rinsing the juicer to see the light hitting your clear glass bowl full of lemon juice.

Not only does it smell like lemon juice looks, it smells like lemon juice smells! This isn't a slap-in-the-face bold lemon, it's an opaque, lightly zestful lemon, and so true it's amazing. A little more than itself, sort of like Beth's single note in Honeysuckle, because of the concentration of the scent.

Don't worry about smelling like a cleaning product or a roadside bathroom; this single note of Lemon won't ever come across like that. Someone would be more likely to ask if you'd been cooking and scrubbed your hands with a lemon, because you smell so good and true that way.

Better lasting power than the single note in Lime - by quite a bit, actually. Not as much throw, though.

In all fairness, this single note does exactly what citrus oils do - and you can see why it would cause exasperation for a perfumer. Great scent, fast morph, and fast dissipation ... a true citrus scent that lasts is impossible to find. Just because I wouldn't purchase this single note doesn't mean I don't love it. :P

Single Note: Lemon

First Impression

In the vial this smells like Lemon Heads -- you know, those super tart and sour candies that you can get in a corner market? Exactly like those. It's so sour smelling it almost makes my mouth water.

Wearing It

jj_j is completely correct in her assessment of this scent -- there is no way that this vibrant note would ever be confused with a cleaning agent. This is such a beautiful scent. Right away this scent looses any artificial resemblance to lemon candies and morphs into pure lemon juice. Smelling this reminds me immediately of making homemade lemonade. This smells just like that -- at first smelling like when you've just poured the sugar into the pitcher -- but as the scent dries it becomes more and more like pure fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Although jj_j is also right about the lasting power of this oil, the short time that this fragrance sticks around is well worth it. A lovely scent, perfect for lovers of true citrus fragrances.

A surprise gimp from my swap with Anais! :D

Lemon is a lovely pale yellow in the vial, and as it's sunny today I'm going to try it out. Oh, this is so pretty. The others are right--nothing at all like Pledge. Fresh lemon juice with a faint dusting of sugar in the topnote; this will be *fantastic* to layer with bakery scents to give them added tang--I can see doing lots of lemon-dessert type blends with it for summer wear. Or wear alone for the happy scent of lemonade. :P

I got a wee sample of this at my last sniffing party. I like lemon fragrances from a lot of other companies, but BPAL's lemon (and lemongrass) has a tendency to go rather sharp on me.

The single note *does* remind me of real lemons. Like squeezing a fresh lemon slice into your tea or over some dish. Zesty and sour. After a minute or so on my skin, though, this takes on a sharp bitterness. I wish that it would go a bit sweeter on me.