Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Lux667

Looking For Something Like Severin

Oh gosh, I haven't been on this forum in yeaaaaars so please forgive any ignorance on my part.

I was a huge fan of Severin.  It smelled great and it smelled great on me, which was a struggle with a lot of the BPAL formulations back when as my chemistry just ended up being a miss with a lot of lovely scents.   For what it's worth, marine scents were the most disappointing as they would smell like dishsoap on me once applied.   However, it's been a minute since I've worn BPAL and I've aged and I'm hoping my chemistry has shifted a bit and things work better.

In the meantime, Severin was discontinued a number of years back.   In reading through various things before posting, it doesn't look likely that it will come back either again or a limited run.  Does anyone have any Severin-like suggestions?  I've read through some of the descriptions of products like Severin but BPAL's menu of offerings has exploded (which is honestly awesome for them!) but it's harder to make sense of what might work because there are so, so many choices now.  

Any insight or personal experiences with things next door to Severin would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there!

I actually have an ancient imp of Severin (Dry black teas, Earl Gray, and leather) but it is so faint that all I can smell is a tiny bit of bergamot, so that's not much help but I'll see what I can find.

Here's a bunch of mostly LE or unimpable suggestions (sorry) but you should be able to find decants to try on the Sales & Swap pages. I would also post an ISO to see if you can rustle up some Severin - you never know! :) And a wishlist never hurts.

The one usually suggested when people are looking for Earl Grey tea is Theodosius (Earl Grey tea leaves, a white fougere, jasmine leaf, pearlescent white musk, and vanilla bean). The jasmine went bad on my skin (bug spray!) but you might have better luck.

Lady Death: Savage (White musk, grey amber, Calabrian bergamot, vanilla absolute, French labdanum, styrax, wormwood, caraway, and bois de jasmin) has a strong bergamot note & something in there reads as tea-like to me, anchored by white musk & light amber.

L'Intention Fait Valoir les Bagatelles (Black tea, lavender buds, Italian bergamot, and Siamese benzoin) looks promising but it was mostly lavender on me. Many of the reviews mention Earl Grey tea, though.

The Silver Dollar from American Gods (Gilded iris and Siamese benzoin, silvery-white musk, white tea leaf, and bergamot) has the tea & bergamot combo, too, but it might be more fresh & citrusy than you're looking for. Maybe layering it with something with leather would work? I bet it would be amazing with The White Rider (White leather and sandalwood).

There's also Furo (Black tea, bergamot, red patchouli, peru balsam, and bourbon vanilla) - a long shot but some people don't notice the patchouli.

If you get some of the leather from Severin, you might like Jareth (Ethereal lilac fougere and gleaming leather with ti leaf, tonka absolute, white musk, and oudh).

I love the leather in The Bow and Crown of Conquest (sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather) & I can see it as being in the same scent family.

Edited by alterosen

Sign in to follow this