Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Saturn

Discipline - Crystallization - Control - Constriction - Banishing - Destruction - Sowing discord - Death - Reverence - Endurance

Wow. I really like this.

Being a Capricorn and reading what folks have guessed some notes to be, I figured I'd be predisposed to do so, of course. But then I've thought that before and been wrong! (hello Schwarzer Mond)

Okay, so I don't have much that's different from other folks reviews - yes, yes dark, woody, smoky and a touch spicy somehow. Its a bit sharp in the bottle and upon initial application but it becomes warmer and mellower quickly.

As far as the actual notes - I seem to get Patchouli and Vetiver (for the earthy part) and Myrrh for the smoky resiny aspect. There is something lending a woody note that is cedar-ish but-not-quite here - a bit more piney - maybe its a different type of Cedar oil? I don't get any civet, but perhaps a touch of musk as others mentioned. I never get anything "sweet" from this, but I do get the softening just shy of sweet that I get with musk in most blends, especially some of the TAL I have.

I actually got this to aid in the, ahem, bad habits and discipline (lack thereof) areas of my life, and consider it a bonus that I like the scent as well! (A relative of some of my other faves like Umbra, Penitence, Aureus.)

I got this because I'm going through my Saturn Return, so I figured it would help me better understand what Saturn means for me at this time in my life. Alas, it did not work out. I thought when I ordered it, "Even if it doesn't smell good, I'll keep it and use it." Ha! That's before I realised what vetiver does on my skin.

Oh holy Saturn! Why vetiver?!!

This yellow/ruddy brown scent, while starting out with earthy, myrrhish tones, went very soon to vetiver madness and stayed on my skin that way for over a day. Why do all the hideous scents stay forever? Ugh.

So no, I CAN'T keep you, Saturn. It will make me hate you and I don't want to do that.

I got a frimp of this in my first order. As near as I can tell it was discontinued before they sent it to me. Seems like a tease. Anyway.

Bottle: Pine and musk. Like a lumberjack that has been chopping down Xmas trees all day. Or one of those air freshner thingies. I love wood so this has potential.

Wet: Babypowder and something green that does not agree with me. Musk and a heavy men's soap smell. Ugh. Irish Spring? More babypowder.

Dry: A mix of old ladyish perfume and stinky soap. What are you Saturn? I can still smell pine, but the other notes are totall wrong for me.

I am totally going to wash this off of me. Seems to be a fairly masculine scent, but not one I would encourage my husband to wear. I will be putting this one up for trade when I get my trades ready.

Edit: I does not wash off.

After reading the other reviews I see that this one is said to be good for banishing. I can see that. This oil could be very useful used for a purpose. Honestly I would never wear this again, but useful oils and perfumes should be graded on different scales.

Edited by Tempest

Saturn-

In Bottle: Strong, masculine, cologne-y.

Wet: Wood-and-chocolate--that's vetiver! And something a little musky-cloying.

Dry: No, the dry-down on this is just a little too cloying-musky. It doesn't work for me.

Overall: Not for me.

I will add a full review of Saturn later, but I agree with most of what others have said. It is a very strong masculine scent. Very Herbal and Inscensy. Pungently resinous, but also smells strongly of the earth. Rich sweet soil after a rain. But also an undernote that reminds me of Black Pearl - of cocoa or coffee or maybe toasted coconut.

There is something about this one that strongly reminds me of the Lush discontinued soap Middle Earth Turns To Rock ... also known as Waylander.

Edited by atlaswinks

In the bottle: Dark and woody. There's some almost acrid in there as well.

Wet: The acrid note comes out - not sure what it is. I get a bit scared.

Drydown: Oh, this dries down into a lovely scent! Woody and a bit musky. Again, I have no idea what the notes are.

In the bottle: Thick spicy woods and resins with a current of vetiver. It's dark, just as dark as the deep brown oil.

Wet: Something slightly like turpentine or tea tree comes to the front, spicy and warm. Vetiver is clearly here, so strong it goes a bit play-doh on me. There are burning woods, here, in the background. It starts going sweet, as vetiver does on me usually.

Drydown: Sweet spicy vetiver with a strong base of other woods, I'm guessing, because vetiver never smells this good on me usually. It's dark and strong, elegant, even a little bit sparkly - now I realise it's actually myrrh that I can smell. Myrrh and vetiver play very nicely together over woods and perhaps a hint of nutmeg. The Play-Doh attempts to come back on attention, but apparently the myrrh has a good grip over it and subdues it.

Overall: It's a heady, delicious perfume to me. Saturn is one of the hardest planets in my chart, that critical Superego that makes me constantly doubt myself. But the BPAL is probably all its good aspects: solidity, traditions, depth, roots, control, discipline. It makes me feel grounded and strong, and it doesn't induce doubt or self-questioning. I definitely want to work with this oil or its TAL equivalent to sort out my problems with Saturn.

hm im not quite sure what im smelling here, but it's incensy and woody and has something that burns the nostrils when i smell it, so it's a very powerful scent. i am currently experiencing my first saturn return, so i was really curious to try this. i think it's amber, patchouli, black musk and vetiver, maybe? not sure i'd wear this one too much, it is just so heavy and resiny, yet i still sort of like the scent on me.

In the bottle: Wow, that's strong! I'm hopeless at identifying notes, but with Saturn, I can't even tell what type of notes could be in it. I'm not getting wood, though. It's got a sweetness to it, despite the face it does come across as serious.

Wet: It's warming up. Getting lighter and sweeter. Still can't identify and notes.

Dry: Scented candles. Lit ones: it smells like hot candlewax and - something I'm not familiar with. It's actually quite nice.

I wasn't sure about Saturn until I put it on, but it's one I really like wearing. It's powerful and intense, but warm rather than coolly sombre, which was what I expected it to be.

I got this because in my birthchart, my Saturn is retrograde and unaspected (ouch) and I'm trying very hard at this time to re-integrate Saturn's more positive qualities into my life. I need you, Saturn!

First sniff: Yeah, this ought'a do it. Its thick and heavy, maybe some myrrh and something herby and medicinal. Might be some vetiver lingering in there too.

Wet on my skin, something smells awfully familiar. I think there's a hint of anise in here. Overall the scent is dark and earthy, but there's a spicy 'bite' behind it (like the spiky point of a scythe).

The drydown is much the same as the wet. Earthy, with that slightly spicy, woody bite. The throw - dear me, what a throw. Its quite intense on me, and I might add, quite beautiful. I'm not going to mind working with this gorgeous blend.

It certainly seems to encapsulate the Saturnine qualities.

Definitely glad I grabbed a bottle of this one.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This is exactly, EXACTLY what I was hoping for from this bottle. In the bottle, there's an anise sort of note, medicinal to my nose, but as soon as it hits my skin it is dry, resinous, beautifully woody and a welcome change from all those fruity and floral imps I've been running into lately. The anise does not disappear, but it becomes this high, bright note far up in the stratosphere, not at all black licorice-like or annoying (not a fan of anise). From the bottom notes to the top there's this shimmering quality, like old gold or bronze. Strength and dignity in a bottle, to me. :P

a bold, spicy, extremely woodsy scent. it’s powerful; it has a real presence. there’s a strong cedar or sandalwood note (whichever one smells like pencil shavings and is kind of peanutty) combined with some herbs and spices i can’t identify. i think it’s too “dark” for summer, but it’ll be just right when the days get shorter and the weather turns crisp and cool. some might say this blend is masculine, but i’m a woman and this is my favorite of the Celestials, so i dunno.

I got this as a frimp from a swap, and I was excited because this is Capricorn's ruling planet, doncha know?

Imp: Cedar and other woods.

Wet: Straight up cedar.

Drydown: Cedar.

Dry: Cedar with a slight musky edge, but mostly cedar.

My rating: 1/5. :P Why? Why cedar single note?

Vetiver. Some type of wood I can't quite identify... not pine or cedar. Might even be sandalwood? Like red sandalwood or something. With vetiver. Anyway, it's smoky and woody, as others have noted. Quite pleasant, really. Reminds me of being at a bon fire in the woods. I think it would smell great on a man.