Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The unbounded soul: a vibrant, airy, uplifted amber with smoked vanilla and coconut, tuberose, orange blossom, wildflower honey, and sheer musk.

Okay, I am bad at this, but here goes...

I received my bottle Saturday, so let's keep in mind that it's very fresh and unsettled.  I'll try to update in a few weeks.

I think the smoked vanilla, orange blossom and honey are most prominent right now, and to my nose/skin chem they translate as tobacco.  I was actually surprised to revisit the notes and find that tobacco is not a listed component.  Not picking up coconut or amber.  Tuberose is quiet.

I think I recognize the orange blossom from Vixen.  Something in On Imagination reminded me strongly enough of Vixen that I hunted-up my imp for comparison purposes.  If Vixen is peachy-orange, then On Imagination is a light caramel brown. 

On Imagination is a sepia photograph of Billie Holiday crooning 'God Bless the Child' in a dimly-lit intimate jazz club at the end of the night, with only her bass player in accompaniment.  The only audience members left in attendance are the bartender and a well-dressed gentleman sitting in the corner, absent-mindedly swirling the remnants of his last rocks glass of bourbon, his orange-flavored cigarillo wafting a thin ribbon of smoke into the room.  

Low throw.  Longevity TBD. 

I had a different experience!  This translates to strong, heavy incense, nag champa variety, that takes over on my skin for hours, lasts through soap and water, into the next day.  I can smell the orange blossom, honey, and maybe tuberose, but honestly I can close my eyes and be transported to the incense section of a new-age shop.  It didn't agree with me and I have several other scents that fit that category, so I don't need to try this again.  Please note, this was tested pretty much right out of the mailbox (shared order with a friend, she had more success with this one!).

I completely get the association with tobacco. It definitely smelled like it had a strong component of that in the bottle. When it first touched my skin, there was this really delicious smokiness, much more than in other scents I've tried with smoked vanilla. I was expecting to amp coconut, because my skin usually does. I've been wearing this for several hours now, and I still can't pick it out. On the dry down the smokiness went away. The honey in this is incredibly lush and sensual. As it all dried down, it was a very incense-y scent and more amber forward.

After several hours, it's a skin scent without much throw. I can still smell it just fine. It's sweet, soft, and comfortable, like a favorite shirt. I'm happy it has worked on me as well as it has, because I loved the description and felt very hopeful.

The amber and honey in this are so perfect. It is an uplifting scent, reminds me a bit of the recent Milk Moon, and the Coconut in the smoked vanilla and fig trio but with amber. I did not expect to love this, and I really really love this. Beautiful scent for a summer night. 

It's interesting how it seems to play differently on people's skin. I'm getting orange blossoms and honey predominantly, with a bit of coconut and smoked vanilla underneath. It's sweeter than I expected, but really pretty.

It's really interesting how different everyone's experiences of this scent are! In my decant, I definitely pick up the amber, coconut, and sweet florals -- I think the wildflower honey is reading like honeysuckle to me. There's no honeysuckle in this, but I swear I smell it. The coconut, smoked vanilla, and amber amp up more as it dries down on me. I don't pick up tobacco per se, but I definitely recognize the coconut/smoked vanilla combo from the Coconut, Smoked Vanilla, & Fig Menage a Trois -- here it's smooth, dry-ish, only faintly smoky, and helps keep the florals and honey from getting aggressively sweet. After drydown, I'd describe this as a light and sweet amber, orange blossom, and honey scent, grounded by the coconut and smoked vanilla and a hint of skin musk. It's ridiculously pretty.

On me, alas, this is about 90% honey! It’s a pretty honey, much lighter and summer-y-er than the thicker more dank honey that shows up in a lot of Lupers. I do amp honey tremendously so if you don’t, your mileage will certainly vary! I can smell a little vanilla and musk if I work quite hard and the orange blossoms are just barely there on my skin; I get zero coconut or tuberose, which is surprising! This will probably age beautifully.

Darn you, honey, making things smell acrid again. The other things around it smell pretty, but there's just an acridness that is just too much for me to enjoy this.

“warm. Honey, spice, a hint of beeswax. floating golden amber. Everything about this is lovely.”

Those were my notes from my original test of a decant, in the middle of which I bought a bottle because I loved it so much. 

Then I got my bottle. I immediately wand-capped it (which I only do with Keepers), and let it rest quietly after its travels. 

After a week or two, I slathered my wrists and BAM: earthy, round, pale tobacco. (The label image is accurate.) It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t the uplifting airy amber I so fondly remembered. This isn’t the funkiest tobacco, and there were some other notes in there but I was so disappointed that I didn’t keep track of them. 

THEN - and, friend, here is the rub - I gave the bottle an 8.0 shake. Like, in acting class where you pump your fists back and forth and release your jaw and say “arglblarglgarble”… I did that with this bottle. Vigorous. Committed. Waking my dearest love from shock on a plummeting airplane.

In short: I SHOOKETH. 

And, with champagne-sized bubbles still rising through its smooth oily decadence, I re-slathered. 

BAM: AMBER. 

That tobacco-ish vibe is now identifiable as smoked coconut and smoked vanilla. And now the other lovely notes have room to breathe: I get the honey, a hint of blossoms, a breath of musk and, as it warms up, light airy amber. Beautifully blended. Poetic in effect. 

verdict: this one needs to oxygenate or age, but hot damn once you get there it’s gorgeous. 

Warning: I think I've just found my new favorite scent. I've been wearing it for 4 days now and want nothing else.

I love honey, and I love orange blossom. This much I know. I didn't know I liked vanilla until this scent - the hint of smokiness brings out that touch of earthiness that keeps all the sweetness from becoming syrupy. I typically despise anything coconut scented, so luckily it's not a strong note here. I'm usually hit or miss with both amber and tobacco (I like them, but they are so easily overwhelming!); when paired with the sweeter notes, boy oh boy is everything rounded out and complex and lovely and perfect. I can't stop smelling myself. I'm in love.

I will probably be purchasing a bottle of this for keepsies and taking notes from Estamets above me (funnily enough, the very same person I purchased my decant from! 😁)

Wet: Creamy and vanillic with a healthy glow.

Drydown: The vanilla and coconut are fused together as the main note, creeping towards play doh at times, but mostly providing a pleasant, creamy base. There's a musky warmth that may or may not involve the amber, and I can definitely smell a floral component, but it's not really a main note, more of a nuance. I don't really detect the honey, but it might be boosting one of these other notes.

Dry: Overall it's a floral vanilla with a hint of a bonfire-on-the-beach vibe. Sort of tropical, but not quite. It almost smells a bit like banana milk, but like, a musky, smoky banana milk. Sort of. :laugh:

7 out of 10 bones

I really dig this. I passed on it initially because amber/coconut/tuberose are all iffy for me, but those notes don't come across very strongly on my skin. I get smoked vanilla/honey/orange blossom and it is divine. The smoked vanilla is so gorgeous, I just cannot stop sniffing myself. Plus the musk seems to anchor the other notes really well to give the scent some staying power. It doesn't have a ton of throw, but you don't have to go nose to skin to pick it up. Also agree this has a tobacco sort of vibe to it.