Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Vanilla, Champaca & Gardenia

Vanilla, Champaca, and Gardenia

In the bottle: Mostly just vanilla and gardenia. Not getting that purported toasted rice thing people say champaca gives off. Maybe a little, if I concentrate while sniffing.

Wet: I amp gardenia, and I'm a little nervous, but here goes. Ooo nice! A little powdery in a very pleasant way. Gardenia dancing happily in the foreground, but not hogging the limelight. Vanilla and champaca are beautiful and soft.

Dry down: Hmm. Gardenia starting to whine. I like champaca, and I'm happy to be able to experience it in a Menage. It's almost like mimosa. Floral, but very mildly so. I can see why people get rice from it.

Dry: Damn this is another lovely! Floral powder, but not granny perfume. More subtle. All fears of gardenia taking over are gone. So beautifully balanced.

I second Okupsidedown's review. This is a lovely blend. The champaca behaves--it's nothing like the screeching incense I did not like in the Darjeeling Tea trio. This is a fuzzy soft gardenia. Not overly sweet. Not as high-pitched and bright as the Gardenia, Tobacco Leaf, and Oakmoss trio - which I also loved. This one is a comforting cloud of prettiness. Turns out I do love Gardenia, even though I normally avoid florals. I want a partial but not sure if I need a full bottle. Debating.. 

I picked up a decant of this because I wasn't sure if I knew what gardenia smelled like but I did know I enjoy both vanilla and champaca. And it turns out: I don't hate it, but combined with the champaca it's too much powder for me. I would certainly smile if I smelled someone wearing this though! It's very pretty.

Dang, this is pretty. The gardenia is bright, watery, and green when wet, smoothed and sweetened by the vanilla. It’s as velvety soft as a real gardenia petal. The champaca comes forward on dry down like a sprinkle of powdery incense dust in a room with a bouquet of fresh cut gardenias. It mutes the florals and the scent becomes more dusky. It’s more languid and low-key than the gardenia oakmoss MaT. Low throw, medium wear length. Very wearable.

Mainly a sweet vanilla-esque gardenia. It's velvet petal soft, and you get the champaca grounding the gardenia. Oh heck, this actually is a gardenia blend I can wear. Creamy, fresh, gardenia. Low throw, medium wear length. Pretty AF. This is like the BPAL equivalent of an instagram filter. It immediately makes who you are prettier.