Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Wer Opfer Heut Zu Bringen Scheut

A druid’s grove of ash, black pine, oak, rowan, and yew – all warm bark, rustling leaves, and glistening sap – with a scattering of hazelnuts and crushed grass.

Dark woods, muddy grass, and a whiff of ash. This smells like a green forest. And by that I mean, old trees, moss, and greenery. No flowers. This is like smelling green, ancient, and alive with magic. Gender neutral to masculine. Medium throw and wear length.

For those that are curious as to how to pronounce this, I tried to do the best approximation I could via text: Vair Ohp-fer hoit tsoo bringen shoit.

In the decant: I'm getting crushed grass and nuts.

On me: The crushed grass dominates the scent, and it is on point. Behind it, I smell some warm bark. This smells like a bunch of witches were dancing on some grass with some trees nearby. The sap adds a touch of sweetness to the grass, while the hazelnut contributes a light nuttiness to the scent, but it isn't a main player on me. Unfortunately, after several hours, I smell something sharp, which I think is the oak (leaves can be problematic note on me, but there are no dead leaves here). By this point, I get a much softer grass note paired with the sharp oak.

Verdict: I get more grass and greenery here than trees. These witches are doing their ritual near the forest, not in the forest. I was hoping for more hazelnut from this, but if you're looking for a witchy green scent, give this one a try.

Edited by doomsday_disco

In the bottle, the crushed grass and woods come through strongly. I get a small hint of the nuts, but not at all strong or overpowering.

Wet I really amp the crushed grass. The woods are all blended so well that at least for me it's impossible to tell one from the other. It's a very deep green, powerful scent. I don't smell the nuttiness on my skin at all.

Even dry, the green, crushed grass scent stays strong on me, and I LOVE it. This goes a bit sweet on me, almost like something with amber, and I have no idea which sap or tree is doing that. The throw is medium. It lasts for hours and hours. Lately I've been pulled toward these sharply vegetative scents, and the lab has rewarded me with some gorgeous ones to love. Of the three I bought for the Hexennacht update for 2020, this one is by far my favorite. I seriously wish I had bought two bottles.

I got a chance to try my friend's decants of this line today, and they were so good.

This blend smelled like the Boss of Druids. A Druid on (Natural, Plant-Based) Steroids.

It was dry, crushed grasses and dry woods for me primarily -- especially what I suspect was the ash -- and then strengthening hazelnuts after drydown.

The whole blend struck me as quite dry, natural, and rustic. I love forest blends, and I found this unique among those I've tried.

I like this more each time I wear it. Of the Walpurgisnachts I've tried, it's my favorite. Of the BPALs I've tried multiple times, this may be the only one that has never felt like it punched me in the sinuses (This is a me problem, not a BPAL problem).

In the bottle: mostly wet/fresh grass

Wet on: still mostly wet/fresh grass, but also some of the hazelnut. The hazelnut is probably accompanied by the woods, but I don't know those well enough to be able to pick them out - except for pine, which I never really get from this.

Dry on: Grass fades, and the hazelnut (I think) gets stronger. I think my skin takes anything even vaguely sweet and makes it sweeter, but this never gets cloying.

Low throw, fades fairly quickly.

Edited by a_bear

This starts with a green sap that is intense and very bitter. Like, nose-scrunching. If I had to guess, this smells like crushed ivy, but I'm not super familiar with most of these notes. I don't recognize any grass, pine or hazelnut. The bitter note disappears, leaving a fuzzy, narcotic scent that reminds me of amber or opium, maybe even cashmere. For a patchouli/rose/lavender lover, this is super weird. Does not remind me of forests I recognize; growing up on the West Coast of the US, this shouldn't be surprising, but I am always looking for a forest scent evocative of camping trips and forest hikes.

In the imp: Pine and bark with the nutty note from Black Bear Moon; a very similar structure overall.

Wet: Hazelnut and grass, layered heavily over the wood scents to the point that they're almost entirely obscured.

Dry: More nutty than woody, with a tempered sweetness from the grasses. A mild throw, for all the amping that the hazelnut does, with a slightly shorter than average lifepan (around 6-8 hours).

Stars: ★★★½