Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Kommt Mit Zacken Und Mit Gabeln

Ancient wisdom and sly cunning: sweet mountain sage leaf, bay laurel, golden amber, angelica root, tobacco leaf, and a husky animalic musk.

GUUUUUUH. This one smells like sweet amber, a whiff of tobacco, and just golden citrus and a nod to bay laurel. I want to roll around in this. It is subtly animalistic, powerful, and golden. It's like you coated yourself in sunshine in the forest. Lovely. Good throw and wear length.

Yeah, this is a good one. Warm cozy fur lounging in citrusy amber beams of light that shine through surrounding green herbs. Not herby in a kitchen way, at all, more like an beloved forest glen. Some fragrant tobacco being rolled in the comfort and ease of a bountiful existence. 
I’m transported to another time, where the light has a subtlety darker, yet more golden tone, and the sense of high magic and sensuality emanates from my being. I feel like its a powerful day. I’m either just coming from a ritual, or preparing myself for the night to come, and gathering up necessary herbs and flowers as I walk familiar paths. There are mountainous hills around me and life is both simple and thrumming with deep delicious meaning. 

This really paints a specific scene to me. It feels like it could work as a kind of TAL to elevate my consciousness in a more earthy connected and anciently-informed perspective. So witchy. 

Initially in the decant and while it's wet I really pick out the sage and animal musk. Then when it's dried down, the sage blends in more with the other plants so it's all foresty with soft, furry musk and amber. It makes me think of finding a nice, comfy spot to rest in the forest in the middle of the day.

For those that are curious as to how to pronounce this, I tried to do the best approximation I could via text: Kohmmt mitt tsacken oond mitt gah-beln.

In the decant: When this first arrived, all I smelled was a cool sort of sage. Now I smell some sage and some orange?

On me: Yep, sage and orange. The sage note smells cool (it's not warm like some sage notes tend to be?), fuzzy, and realistic, like a torn sage leaf. I can smell a bit of amber and bay in the background, but they are not nearly as strong as the sage and orange notes. It's an uplifting scent. The furry musk and amber notes gain strength with wear and make the scent warmer, while the tobacco leaf dirties up the fur-like musk a bit. I get a bit of pepperiness at the end, and I am wondering if that is due to the angelica root?

Verdict: I really enjoyed this during the first few hours of wear, before the musk became a main player, because I found the sage and orange to be so uplifting. I am not as big of a fan of this after several hours, when it has become more musky and peppery (although the sage is still pretty prominent, and the orange hasn't completely faded away). So I don't think this is one I need a full bottle of, but I do think it is nice.

Wet, this is all herbs --- kitchen herbs. Then it dries down to a sweet, mildly pleasant golden scent. The very deep drydown reminds me vaguely of So Below (which i did not love either though many do). It's more kitchen herb gold than forest gold on me, sadly. I don't get animalistic musk nor the glory that is Buck Moon, which I am forever trying to recreate. Low throw, decent longevity. 

I don't always do well with musks, so I tried this with some trepidation. (Seriously. A lot of musks make me smell like my grandfather, which is a fine thing to smell like, but not really what I tend to for with perfume.) However, I need not have worried. This "animalic" musk fades quickly on me and never turns into Aqua Velva. Wet on my skin this was very herbal with a bit of rounding and powder from the amber. Oddly, although this NOT one of the blends from this collection with pine, it smelled a little evergreen. It faded very quickly and what's left behind a gentle blend of amber and herbs. It's so gentle, in fact, that I find myself wishing it had a little more oomph on me.  

Back into the golden forest for this review.  Kommt Mit Zacken is lots of sage up front, and I would have sworn there was an evergreen note in here as well.  Sunshine and sage in a forest glade as the amber comes out, then the tobacco, mmf,  and the soft musk, everything with fuzzy edges like a low-hanging sun is dissolving the contours.  This is gorgeous and lasts a really long time on me.  Bottle worthy.  

A highly herbal blend to start, Kommt Mit Zacken started as lots of sage and bay laurel on my skin, backed with an odd animalistic musk and a whiff of tobacco. Mostly the sage and bay laurel.

After drydown, a sweet golden amber came out on me in droves. At that point the blend was mainly sweet amber, with little whiffs of herbs.

The strange beasty-musk put me off a bit during the early phase, here, but the amber dried phase was lovely.

This was very strongly musk-forward for me. It went on musky and stayed musky.  It had a sharpness from the herbs while wet, that faded out in about twenty minutes or so. There was a bit of back and forth with the soft amber after that for another half an hour or so, before it settled into pretty much just the musk. But maybe my skin is just amping that up to the exclusion of everything else?