Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Diese Dumpfen Pfaffenchristen

A diabolical surprise: red musk, black leather, rusted pitchfork prongs, brimstone incense, fir needle, crushed pinecones, petitgrain and patchouli.

I get mainly fir, pinecones, and a whiff of patchouli on wet. As it dries, some of the red musk, metal, and a whiff of incense comes through. Honestly, this is a very Weenie-pine forest scent on me. Gender neutral toward masculine to my nose. This is superbly well crafted, and deeply nuanced. Also subtly sexy.  Maybe you're on your way to an orgy? Medium throw and wear length.

Who knew that red musk and pine would go so well together? I really like this combo! I get the metallic smell as it dries, but don't detect the leather much at this point. I'm hoping this will get stronger with age. Although I don't think I'd wear it enough to get a bottle, I will enjoy the decant when I need something dark and foresty. 

For those that are curious as to how to pronounce this, I tried to do the best approximation I could via text: Dee-zuh doomp-fen faff-en-krist-en.

In the decant: Fir and pinecones backed by some red musk.

On me: The fir and pinecone notes are the first to leap out at me, backed by the red musk and petitgrain. Unfortunately for me, those bold notes do not retain their background roles for long, and soon enough, they become main players. The brimstone incense joins in after some time, making this a petitgrain-infused red musk dirtied with smoky brimstone incense and patchouli. The fir and pinecone notes, which started off strong, are now reduced to lesser roles. After several hours, it smells pretty smoky on me, so that must be my skin chemistry running away with the brimstone incense. Behind it is some black leather and cologne-y metal. Behind those notes, there's some earthy patchouli, and musk.

Verdict: I enjoyed the fir and pinecone in the beginning, but every phase after that wasn't really my cup of tea (the red musk/petitgrain stage or the really dark, smoky, musky leather and metal one). This is the darkest scent in the Die Erste Walpurgisnacht collection, so if you want to smell diabolical, this one should do the trick.

fir that leans towards pinesol on a deep sniff, petitegrain (orange), incense, maybe rusty metal,

it sours as it dries, low throw, slight burn to my skin

If you fear black leather because it is too harsh on your skin, you will be hardpressed to find it here unless you are the hardcorest of all hardcore leather ampers.

Wet: Vetiver and fir needles bordering on gin. I would have sworn there was juniper and fir in this one. Petitgrain brightens it up, making this unisex and keeps it from reading as too foresty.

Drydown: Petitgrain, fir, and grassy vetiver (brimstone?). It's now firmly masculine on me. Somewhere around twenty minutes in, I thought I smelled labdanum, but this could be the crushed pinecones.

7 hours after application: Crushed pinecones which my nose still reads as labdanum and red musk which is playing nice and is creating a lovely sweet, resiny scent. A touch of oakmossy patchouli. Black leather never really showed up. This is another one that I think needs aging to really shine.

3.8 out of 5 stars.

This would be a good Halloween scent. The brimstone incense definitely gives it a diabolical vibe, though on me it doesn't last. There's a sweetness and brightness that makes it sort of playful, though. Maybe it's just that it's that time of year, but it reminds me of the part of Hocus Pocus when the sisters go to the house of the man dressed as the devil.

Wet: Mostly Fir and whatever the "rusted pitchfork" element is.

As it dries: The smokiness from the brimstone incense comes out, and the fir starts to recede. Overall, there's sort of a red/orange glow. The petitgrain helps brighten it up.

Dry: After a while this becomes largely what I think is patchouli and maybe red musk? (I'm not familiar with it) It's sweeter and loses the smoke and sharpness it starts with. I also never really get leather.

medium throw, gender neutral

My nose and brain insist on interpreting this as the best clean laundry smell ever. All fir, all the time, with a little sharpness from the red musk & some mystery powdery-ness in the background. It's not what I was expecting but I love it! It reminds me a bit of Knight in Shiny Armor & I think it would work well as a Paladin character scent (though that sits strangely with the inspiration for the scent - I guess they can be diabolical :think:). 

Edited by alterosen