Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

White Sandalwood, Sage & Bourbon Vanilla

Almost fizzy at the start, mostly getting sandalwood, which is an agreeable note for me. Very low throw. Mildly, pleasantly sweet--very comforting. I like this, but I want to be judicious with my bottle upgrades and I don't think this one will make it (from this batch, the winner for me is most definitely Gardenia, Tobacco Leaf, and Oakmoss). But whenever I wear the decant, I know I'll be happy (other than the issue of low throw). I'm very bad at picking out notes and amazingly enough I'm not exactly sure what sage smells like so can't say if it is strong here, but this is mostly a softly sweet sandalwood to my nose. (Also adding: ignore what I said here, there is definitely a lot of distinct sage in here!) 

Edited to add: I keep coming back to this for comfort. I may have to get a bottle after all! 
Edited by Seajewel

In the decant and once applied, I get soft sandalwood and bourbon vanilla, with the sage providing a slightly sharp, herbal counterpoint. The bourbon vanilla goes into a weirdly sickly-sweet phase for a few minutes after applying, but it settles into a pleasant, subtle sweetness that blends well with the sandalwood and sage. Mild and comforting, and has a bit of an autumnal vibe to me. Tempted to get a bottle, but need to finish testing my other menage decants first.

This smells like THE BEST LAUNDRY!  Sandalwood and sage, sweetened by the vanilla. Much different than the other trios I've tried. This is sweet and approachable. And from a simple skin test, I feel like this has a pretty good amount of throw. I might just amp the sandalwood, though. This is a really great blend.

Wet: Effervescent, sweetened sandalwood. It reminds me of the creamy vanilla of Lawn Gnome, but with sandalwood instead of patchouli.

Drydown: As it dries, bits of velvety sage slip in bashfully. This is developing quite gorgeously.

Dry: The final iteration on my skin is a soft sweetened sage, with a bit of the sandalwood underneath. It is quiet, and understated, and perfectly lovely.

At first sniff on my skin, White Sandalwood, Sage & Bourbon Vanilla was all sandalwood.  Next sniff brought me sage, which I know from the White Sage SN is a complex, almost perfumey note on me.  And then I could smell the bourbon vanilla, but it is definitely the third note here in terms of prominence.  So this is not particularly sweet, yet there's something perfect about the way the vanilla meshes with the dry sandalwood and sage notes.  This could be worn by any gender for comfort or confidence.  

I get mainly vanilla, and then smooth sandalwood, with a whiff of sage. To me, this is a non-foodie vanilla, and I love the interplay of the vanilla and sandalwood. Keeper.

This started off so light on me that I thought my skin ate it. It's a light sage and dry sandalwood at first, but then after a while, I smell the same perfume-y vanilla musk found in Ava!?!?!?! Wasn't expecting that. It's backed by the dry sandalwood and a bit of sage.

I'm surprised this ended up smelling like a commerical perfume on me. Maybe my nose or my skin chemistry is drunk, since none of the other reviewers seem to have had this experience. This isn't a scent I need more of, but it was nice to be able to try it.

In the imp: More bourbon vanilla than anything else, which I did not expect after reading the reviews. The sage and sandalwood are detectable, but vanilla definitely dominates.

Wet: Almost the vanilla note from Dorian, sans tea, and tempered by an earthy sage note. The faintest kiss of sandalwood if you sniff for it.

Dry: The final stage is the strangest of all - a slightly powdery sandalwood (finally!), with strong herbal notes, and not a trace left of the bourbon or vanilla.

Very long-lived (could still smell it with ease a full 12 hours later), with a strong throw.

Stars: ★★★★½

this is so odd.  i don't really get sandalwood or sage.  i'm reading it as a powdery white floral with lots of sheer perfumey vanilla.  it skews towards commercial perfume to me, with a vanilla-floral bpal twist. i would have expected this one to be much sought-after, but it's not for me.