Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Gardenia, Tobacco Leaf & Oakmoss

This is super pretty. At first, I was afraid this would take me to headache territory. After 10 minutes, I can see that's not the case! Yay! The oakmoss keeps the gardenia from being too overpowering. As it dries, tobacco peeks out and it just gets smoother. It's evocative of that Michael Kors gardenia fragrance but more well rounded and it's just beautiful. May be grabbing a bottle, as I don't have anything with gardenia in my collection and I can't see anything being so gardenia forward and as lovely as this. 

This is beautiful, and my runaway hit from this batch of trios. Love at first sniff. It is a high-pitched scent and I often go for more unisex scents, but I love it. I wish I could describe why, but I can't (this is why I don't post reviews, but I've made it my resolution to post reviews anyways because I wait with baited breath for other's reviews).  I tested it against A Vision of the Courtesan, which is much sweeter and somehow "lighter" (more girly, less sophisticated) but I like this better, actually, and Vision was my favorite of the Lupers I tested (not that many). I'm not even sure why I tested this one first out of all my trios, maybe because I had recently been reminded of how much I love both French and Bulgarian Tobacco single notes, but this isn't really like those notes.. it's not chewy or dry and sweet. It is, like all of Beth's scents when they work on me, pure magic. It is more of a sophisticated, perhaps almost perfume-y scent than I normally go for, but it's one I'd like to keep around. If these notes speak to you, don't sleep on this one! 

I don't do white florals -- except gardenia.  My parents had a gardenia bush right outside their front door.  Gardenia, Tobacco Leaf & Oakmoss is almost a single-note gardenia on me, incredibly realistic.  It's heady.  It's gorgeous.  It has monster throw (something I rarely get, but three hours after applying I was heading to chat with a friend on her front porch and hoped she wasn't scent sensitive).  Great wear length, too.  I love the tobacco note but it's very understated here, just the tiniest whiff, and the oakmoss is barely perceptible on me.  This is a femme fatale with a gardenia corsage pinned to her slinky dress sashaying through a Bogart film.  I just don't wear florals that often, but this blend really is magnificent, and if gardenia is in your wheelhouse, don't miss out.  

In the decant, it's mostly heady, tropical gardenia. Once it's on, though, the oakmoss and tobacco come out to play. I tend to amp oakmoss, but it doesn't get overly intense here, instead adding a muted green note that balances out the gardenia's sweetness. The tobacco reads to me as the somewhat sweet, chewy kind, but that might be how it's blending with the gardenia. As it dries down, I'd say the tobacco and oakmoss are the dominant notes, sweetened with gardenia. It's really pretty and sophisticated, and I can see it appealing to white floral lovers and noobs alike. I might want to grab a bottle of this one, especially as there's almost no gardenia in my stash.

From the description, this is primarily gardenia with oakmoss (earthy) and tobacco leaf (earthy, woody).

Wet -   This reminds me of 273 (which has gardenia as one of the top notes with sandalwood and cedarwood and earthy vetiver as base notes).  I need to find my bottle of June Gloom to compare with this because that one gave me the same feeling. 

Dry -

L wrist - All gardenia.

R wrist - Gardenia and green or light earth

Smooth gardenia, touch of oakmoss which lends it an aquatic quality, and a whiff of tobacco to make it a little dirtier. This one has a sort of woodsy background. Gardenia for grown ups.

I wanted this to work for me so badly, because I adore all three notes. In the bottle, I get very strong gardenia sweetened and amped by tobacco. I could not catch scent of the oakmoss at all. On me, it amps up to a high pitched, headache inducing screech, even with just a delicate touch to one wrist and the two touched together. The throw is obnoxious. My husband said he could smell me from the next room. It lasts forever on my skin. Oakmoss never shows up, and the gardenia and tobacco never decide who's boss. They just both sit there screaming. It's a shame, because the other gardenia scent I bought with vanilla was VERY nice on me.

Gardenia, Tobacco Leaf, and Oakmoss

In the bottle: Gardeeeeeeeeeniaaa. Maybe some tobacco leaf, but super shy.

Wet: More gardeeeeeeeeeniaaa. Oi, so much gardenia. Is it going to calm down? Will there be any of my beloveds tobacco leaf or oakmoss?? Oh. Wait. Maybe some sharp tobacco leaf peeking through.

Dry down: Starting to get that lovely dusty oakmoss thing. I love oakmoss on me, it's similar to olive blossom: green and dusty. Ok, I'm liking what's happening here. Gardenia can be so stompy sometimes, but there's green from the oakmoss and sharp from the tobacco.

Dry: Still gardenia forward, but I dig it! Not headache inducing, as heavy florals can sometimes be. The oakmoss and tobacco lend complexity to a really beautiful floral scent. It smells a little fancy.

Someone asked how this one compares to Vanilla, Champaca, and Gardenia, and I'd have to say they don't smell similar at all. The V, C, & G is almost poofy. G, TL, & G is a sharp floral with green undercurrents.

In the imp: Strongly gardenia, with the slightest astringent hint of tobacco leaf.

Wet: Gardenia in full and glorious bloom, nary a whisper of the other two. Heady, old-fashioned, and feminine - this reminds me of my great-nan, or a Gibson Girl.

Dry: Primarily gardenia, although less overpowering on the drydown than when first applied. No oakmoss ever emerges, and the tobacco leaf - when I can find it at all - is the vaguest trace.

6-8 hours wear time, after which point it had faded to being almost undetectable; a medium-tending-mild throw.

Stars: ★★★★½ , I'm a sucker for gardenia and this will go into rotation with Venus Cloacina.

Wet: Gardenia, with a tiny whisper of something green, but nearly entirely gardenia.

Dry: Almost purely gardenia, with something earthy grounding it slightly. Quite lovely, and now going into heavy rotation!

Edited by ralenth