Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Sprouting Grass Moon

Pine, snow, green grass, and something that smells like green bell peppers... or is it alfafa on the drydown? It's a very green sort of smell. And I think its alfafa, not green peppers. 

My skin eats this one up though, and after 30 minutes, its gone.

In the bottle: lord god this is straight up grass clippings

On the skin: thankfully, this sweetens up pretty quickly! There may be evergreen tinge in the background. The snow note is what I assume is the icy/ozone snow - it’s almost aquatic.

The snow note does veer toward dryer sheet territory after a few minutes, but thankfully the grass keeps it sweet and green, with a freshness that feels more spring day than laundry day. 

This started off promising, bright green grasses and a cold icy hit of mint, but as it dries there emerges a sickly sweet smell that's clashing awful. I'm not sure what's turning on me here but it smells like rot... like sugary pond scum. A sugared spearmint gumdrop that came back up. It's making my stomach turn, sadly. The waft is okay but once I go in closer its a big nope.

In the decant, I mostly get the cool, minty, ozone-y snow note. Faint hints of grass come out once on, and slowly amp up as it wears. It's a cool blend of minty and fresh green notes. Fortunately, the grass doesn't turn to plastic on me this time around. Cool, green, and refreshing; could work well for late winter or spring/summer.

Cool, minty green over a bed of freshly clipped grass. Underneath, there is a bit of green bell pepper. As time passes, the crisp green pepper becomes more dominant, but it softer along the edges. The overall effect is quite pleasant, even if it isn't my usual fare.

Pleasant, softly sweet and slightly minty grass. Very subtle. I think I might be detecting a little almond or vanilla, but can't really tell. I like it enough to keep my decant.

In the bottle: I get the Lab's "snow" scent and fresh-cut grass. On, wet: Opens up more into the florals of the snow note; I'm getting white florals and maybe a hint of mint/spearmint? Very sheer. Drydown: Unfortunately on me, this one almost vanishes on me after drydown, where I'm left with a faint veil of white florals with a little bit of crushed green grass. I love this but I wish it lasted longer and had more throw.

In the imp: Snow, ozone, and a thin layer of slushy wet ground.

Wet: Bright green shoots peeking through softly powdered snowdrifts, and a carpet of pine needles.

Dry: I literally threw this all over the table when I went to do my second wear test, which was unfortunate to say the least, but it did give me a lasting impression. Very soft snow notes, more pine lingering than I'd have expected, and hardly any grass by the end. Short-lived at 5-6 hours with an overall mild throw (for which I'm sure the people who had to share my dining table were grateful...)

Stars: ★★★½

I'm going to be mentally comparing this to A Blade of Grass since that's my favorite BPAL scent

In the bottle:  The description made me think this was going to be a ... wetter?... grass scent. It smells like dried alfalfa or grass clippings to me.  Not in a bad way but I don't smell any pine or snow.

Wet:  Now I smell more pine trees!   In fact, the grass is almost all gone and it smells like pine needles in snow. 

Dry: It dries back down to a grassier scent, it loses some of the crispness of the pine/snow but it's a very pleasant green scent.

If you're obsessed with A Blade of Grass and are wondering if you should try this one out--I'd give it a shot! It's not as juicy as A Blade of Grass but it's a great grass scent.

Edited by decenda