Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Every Day You Play With the Light of the Universe

The first impression on my skin from Light of the Universe is a creamy, golden honeysuckle and deep red plum. They are blending well into something rich and voluptuous -- not a "Such-n-Such's little sister" sort of perfume. The amber comes through more in a golden quality to the honeysuckle and cream than as a strong note in its own right, at least initially. It's not the heavy, potent amber cream of the recent Luper, Golden Sunrise.

Moving toward drydown, cherry blossom peeks out, and brings the blend closer to a "little sister" feel. The honeysuckle grows a skin musk quality that reminds me of Eostre of the Dawn.

Once this has dried, it's like... a Shunga version of Eostre of the Dawn. You can just imagine that label art.

I like it.

Warm honeysuckle, whiff of cream and amber. This is a honeysuckle blend. And everything you could potentially want. Great throw and wear length.

This was a very odd one, on me, and I'm glad I tested it twice. The first time I tried it, I got absolutely no floral scent from it, just a smell of PLANTS! VEGETATION! Which was then followed up by the scent of skin musk, and a bit of amber.

I tried it again several days later, and this time I got a brief ghost of flowers, though still it mostly smelled of vegetal musk warmed by a bit of amber. I've never tried a honeysuckle scent before, so perhaps my skin chemistry just devours it. Still, what I do get is a bit like the smell of someone's skin after they've been rolling around in sun-warmed grass, which is a pleasant enough smell.

Edited by AprilB

This is a light and pretty floral, lovely for a cool spring day. Unfortunately, it's a little too light and young-girly for me, also it goes a little soapy on my skin. I think it'd be a nice gift for a younger lady who's just getting into "big girl" perfumes.

Edited by Carolan Ivey

Plum ho, reporting for duty. I will take all the plums, thank you. There were enough "hmm" notes to keep me from bottling, enough "hmmm" notes to get me to decant. Here we go.

In the vial? Beautiful honeysuckle. Light, playful, springtime, agave nectar. No honey, no big-ass florals. She's here to play. I'm here for it. Let's skintest.

OH. Oh no. No no no.

I should disclose that amber cream and I have already been not on good terms for a few months. It went crazy-cologne-cream on me back before Christmas and it still hasn't forgiven me for whatever I did to it to piss it off.

It's still pissed at me. It's conspiring with honeysuckle and the other blossoms to go straight up cheap gardenia White Rain shampoo ferocity on me. It completely bypassed real jasmine into horrible fake white-floral land. As I skin-test other things on that arm and shoulder, it's bossing its way into the party. Please, just go away. 

I get zero plum, and I'm plum's number one fan. I get zero cherry blossom, and I am here for some cherry blossom love, fancy soap or no. This is a huge no. I am so so so glad I didn't blind bottle. Horrific. One of the biggest disappointments of the year, so far! But I am minority!

I'm not having much luck with this release. Every note listed should have been win, but what I'm getting is perfumey chemicals with a weird sour sweetness.  No recognizable honeysuckle or amber cream. Perhaps plum and cherry blossom, but only in a very artificial, chemical way.  A no go for me. 😕

In the decant, it's mostly honeysuckle with a hint of other light florals. Once it's on, the cream note starts to come out and blends surprisingly well with the honeysuckle. It doesn't morph much after that -- think light, pretty spring florals softened with a hint of cream. It does have a bit of a younger vibe to it, but that might be because it reminds me of a perfume I had as a teen in the late 90s, the name of which I can't recall anymore. Worth trying if you like honeysuckle blends.

I love this scent. I love it in the bottle, wet on the skin, dry, and fading. I love that I can smell it on my pillow, on my clothes, and when I turn my head.

The balance is very even until the end, to me. It's not until the scent is fading that I can pick out the plum and amber cream. Otherwise, it's a very rich, but still oddly fresh and floral scent. Plum and amber love me, though, which probably contributes to the beautiful experience I've had with this I've. 

Creamy soft honeysuckle. I love this so much I can't stop smelling myself. I never want to run out. Anybody want to sell their bottle, let me know. I never feel this way about new scents, it's kind of nuts.

I love honeysuckle, but for some reason this blend is going kind of plasticky on my skin. I suppose my skin chem can't win them all . . . I will have to stick with Eostre of the Dawn for my honeysuckle needs (ironic, as I usually enjoy plum/cherry blossoms over jasmine). 

Edited by feyofthefellwood

Gosh, I bought this because all these notes sounded good, and it turned out they all work on my skin together and make this into something warm and sweet and gentle and delicious. The honeysuckle is prominent first, and then the amber comes forward, and then the other blossoms bloom and it all merges into a soft floral skin musk. Yum!

In the imp I get a bright, almost sparkling, creamy honeysuckle. On my skin it gets warmer, muskier. I get more wispy florals, I think the plum isn't the fruit but plum blossom. Underneath is a warm bed of amber. This smells like walking through a garden in full bloom, just dizzy with beautiful heady honeysuckle and breezy blossoms. 

Creamy honeysuckle with just a hint of cherry blossom on the very edge of the scent. Beautiful. I'm actually thankful I don't smell any plum. I just realized this has amber cream. No wonder it reminded me of Golden Sunrise!

Edited by HerbGirl

On 5/13/2020 at 1:48 AM, VetchVesper said:

I'm not having much luck with this release. Every note listed should have been win, but what I'm getting is perfumey chemicals with a weird sour sweetness.  No recognizable honeysuckle or amber cream. Perhaps plum and cherry blossom, but only in a very artificial, chemical way.  A no go for me. 😕

I have to agree with this assessment - to me, it actually smells like Juniper Breeze body spray from Bath and Body Works. A little more nuanced, but it's very perfumey on me, and almost a bit tropical-smelling?!? 

Then again, I just got it today, so it is literally right out of the mail. I will let it settle and see if it becomes a bit more complex. 

It has been a long, long time since I bought a blind bottle, but as this is named for one of my favourite poems, I rather felt I had to. 

In the bottle: Musk, wet red cherries, and a creamy skin note - similar to what I get from O on first application.

Wet: Very herbaceous and woodsy, and surprisingly light? Like - my skin has literally just swallowed it whole.

Dry: Litte hints of plum emerge after the initial drydown, which I am most grateful for, since that's the main note I bought this for. Sitting alongside it are aethery notes of spring: crisp, clear honeysuckle, soft cherry blossoms, and a fragrant breeze. 

Strong throw, and despite its initial faintness, it actually lasts forever. Definitely a winner on me and everything I was hoping for.

Stars: ★★★★★

I bought this a gift for a friend but hey I'm a BPAL addict so I've got to test it out first, right? 😅

Out of the bottle I smell pear and honeysuckle. Winning so far!

On my skin wet it nearly immediately becomes more complex and fancy. The plum and cherry blossoms shine and sing.

It's too crisp for myself personally, and I'm not a huge fan of florals to begin with.  There is a slight chemical-y sharpness. The "amber cream" prevents it from just smelling like a mall-purchased body spray.

I think my friend is gonna like this. 😁