Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the bottle this smells sharp - and even I am not sure what I mean by that, that's just the adjective that comes to mind.

Wet, it's spicy and patchouli.

Dry, it smells really masculine, which also surprised me as I don't usually think of scents as being gendered, but this one smells like hot action heros to me. Indiana Jones smells like this when he's cleaned up. Young Sean Connery smelled like this as James Bond. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.  It's delicious and unexpected. Wear is fairly long - I keep catching whiffs as if Idris Elba is standing quietly behind me. Sadly, it's just me and my own wrists.

Perhaps I was thinking more Morocco-type spices when I saw this lineup....but Phallus Devotion has way more of a kick. Imagine the most peppery saffron, a very fiery strain, seasoned with a sprinkle of nutmeg and an ever so slightly root-beer-esque patchouli. The mahogany and rosewood combination masquerading as leather to my nose; a leather jacket left in a household that uses tons of cooking spices, infusing the material with lots of flavor. The agarwood isn't instantly identifiable, and I am very happy about that! Nothing indolic about this oud wood, although it is quite earthy. 

Right now the spices are dominating, but I am picturing this aging and the resins deepening, the edges smoothing, and everything growing darker and sexier. Don't be scared if this arrives and is super patchy! So far, all the patch blends have needed at least a couple days to settle down from the mail and let the other notes shine through. The only thing I was worried about, the agarwood, turned out to be no worries at all. I've been growing more and more attached to this scent in the week since I've had it. I think the trend will only continue.

Heavily spiced mahogany, especially with a sort of black peppery saffron. I'm getting great wafts of dry, powdery clouds of saffron and black pepper mahogany.

In drydown (and this scent reads as very dry even when wet), I notice oudh blending into the mahogany. It's a sort of polished-wood variety of agarwood, with nothing animalic. A little pleasant patch suffuses the blend. Whoever abides in this wooden living space must cook with saffron every day, and black pepper three times a week. 

I don't find rosewood or nutmeg as such, but I can imagine them blending right into this spiced wood ambiance.

It turned straight in to dirt, like a less sweet Earth Phoenix. 

DigitalMom says it's not "dirt" to her but it's something clean.  Definitely not headshop or dirty hippie patchouli. 

Edited by DigitalCoyote

Phallus Devotion on me is a really spicy oudh (agarwood) blend.  It's not the fecal oudh, but it is that distinctive down and dirty woody smell of well-behaved oudh, with its terrific wear length.  I can still smell traces of it the next morning.  The patchouli and mahogany are there, but this a raw mahogany, not the polished wood scent of most mahogany blends, and I can't make out the rosewood on me at all.  Earthy saffron and a peppery nutmeg bump up the spice quotient.  Gender neutral, potent, and kind of in its own category.  

this! is an exact replication of the smell of Lush's Coalface cleanser, down to the spicy herbiness - just checked the ingredients and yup, they both have rosewood. 

It's a very fresh kind of spicy woody smell - the wood is more of a fresh green wood type rather than a old wood. It all blends amazingly well with the spices saffron and nutmeg. This one leans slightly to the masculine, although I will definitely be keeping my imp. There's a review above saying it's a scent for the freshly washed Indiana Jones, and I couldn't agree more, there is that clean element of water - although I would add it's also for Tarzan's Jane - wild and running barefooted in the jungle; it's an adventurous smell, of forest and waterfall rapids and riding elephants.