Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I love sea salt blends. LOVE them. I get a nice blast of salt from Beach Scene, and a lot of wood that does smell water-logged; aquatics, but not totally swimming in the smell of the water. (Probably the kelp is contributing to that too?)

But...I really don't enjoy the white patchouli note in the midst of it. I really wish it had been left out of the blend and replaced with perhaps grass, a sunny amber, or really anything that was less screechy. Boy, does it screech. Loud, piercing herbiness that is like bright sunshine after a night of too much to drink: headache-inducing. I think that if white patch plays nice with you, and you enjoy salty aquatics/woods, this could be your scene. If you had any issues with Dalliances by Candlelight, Closing the Bamboo Curtain, or other white patchouli blends, testing is advised.

Salty. The aquatics this Luper release all have heaping helpings of saltiness. I can smell the patchouli underneath, along with the oceany fresh smell that I guess is the kelp. It's interesting at first, and sea brined driftwood comes to mind easily. There's no sweetness, but it's not particularly heavy or dark.  It would be nice on a guy.  It unfortunately does go to soap on me, though it takes longer than most aquatics do.  For a good half hour, I thought this might work for me, but then chemistry said nope. 

In the decant and once on: The salt stands out the most, but there's also something more generally aquatic under there, which I'm guessing is the kelp note. As it dries down, the patch gets more noticeable, but it's never dominant and blends reasonably well with the salt and kelp. Worth trying if you like BPAL's salt note or fresh aquatics in general. 

Wet and in the bottle (I tested an imp), this was really screechy and had a LOOK AT ME, IM A {{generic salty aquatic cologne}} smell to it.

After it dries down, that screech stops and it's a nice slightly smoky (patchouli), woody aquatic. Like having a driftwood campfire at the beach.

As an aquatic person, I quite like how it settles down and I will probably buy a bottle barring any strange morphing.

My skin mostly turns this into a salt bonanza.

I do catch a hint of pleasantly smoky, dry wood cast up somewhere on this salt-dominant shore, some surviving and sun-dried remnant of a ship wrecked years ago. It seems like a mingling of the pale patchouli with driftwood.

But, mostly: salt bonanza.

In the decant: Salty driftwood and kelp.

On me: I don't have good luck with the Lab's aquatics, and this starts off really salty and soapy on me. The soap eventually gives way to the Lab's rain note, but the salt remains strong. Those end up being the main notes on me, backed by a bit of driftwood and a touch of light patchouli.

Verdict: I like the rain note, but there's too much salt in this one for me. I'm going to pass this on to a friend who enjoys aquatics and see how this fares on her.

Kelp and salt out of the gate.  I need a beach house that smells like this when I grow up.  The patchouli works with the sandalwood on me and doesn't give the dirt/funk smell.

I generally don't do well with aquatics, but I was hoping the sea salt and kelp would take this away from the usual men's cologne I get. Nope.

Wet: I smell something nutty? Also, it's strongly aquatic, so... soap/ detergent. 

Drydown: Still soapy, but now I'm getting the driftwood which is giving off a slight leather scent. I can very faintly smell the salt. I will happily take some of it off of those who are getting it too strongly! It stays this way for about five hours. 

Five hours later: The white patchouli must be giving off a sweet vibe, because this ultimately ends up as a vanilla driftwood scent on me. Just a touch of salt underneath to boost it into a beachy seaside fragrance. I like the drydown, but it's a faint skin scent by then. It's still new, so I'm hoping the soap tones down, and the other notes come out more with aging. If not, I will pass this on to my son because I think this would be fantastic on male skin.

Throw is good for about five hours. Wear time about 10 to 12 hours, but very light. 

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Wet: Sea salt, a dash of driftwood.

Drydown: Masculine aquatic cologne vibe washes over the driftwood.

Dry: Salt-encrusted driftwood with occasional whiffs of the cologne. Quite lovely.