Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

A Prostitute's Account of Vernal Love

Exact quote while smelling my sniffy-card of this after Lunacy: "MMMmmm! Why didn't I get this? I would totally wear this." I'm always looking for new variations on red musk that aren't just, red musk bomb. I think we all do that for some of the louder notes we enjoy, whether it's rose, jasmine, patch; for me, a big one is red musk. As soon as I smelled the drydown of this one, I knew it was for me.

In the bottle, I got a lot of red musk, some fruit, and a lot of warm wood. Basket of Mediterranean fruits, yum. Skin-testing, the fig swam into focus as the apricot sweetened the red musk. It only gets better over time, as the blend becomes almost cashmere-warm and rich with resins, sticky apricot, and pulpy fig meat. This is far from generic red musk, which is itself a dark and somewhat fruity-spicy, "sultry" type of musk; here, it really plays well with others in such a classically Lupercalia way. 

Bottle time~

I'm surprised I'm not enjoying this more. I think all of the elements blend together to create something more perfumey than I was expecting. I think it's a great blend and smells awesome in the bottle, but it doesn't work with my chemistry. :(

Wet: Bring on the red musk! The red musk comes out swinging, and is being backed by the cherry wood(make no mistake about the "wood" part; you can smell it here). No apricot or fig here yet; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the red musk doesn't overwhelm them. Apricot and red musk would be SO nice.

Dry: Sweeter than the wet stage, but I'm still not getting any apricot or figgy goodness (though I suppose one of them may be contributing to the added sweetness). The red musk is still dominant, but not as "POW" as before; it's mellowed quite a bit. The cherry wood is still backing up the red musk.

This is nice, but nothing special on me.

Musky wood, sweetened by apricot. On me this is lightly sexy, warm, sweet, and just a little fruity. It is a snuggly comforting kind of scent and I have found myself reaching for it frequently over the last month - including I had to rub it on my knitting project so I could get little wafts of it as I moved the yarn. 

Figgy, other-fruity red musk. Heavy and sweet. Wood adds some solidity in drydown.

I could see red musk lovers liking this one.

I thought this had a little oudh funk in it when I first sniffed the wand. There is something a bit animalic here, but it's not jumping out.

Edited by Casablanca

I got a tester of this since it’s got fig listed, and cherry wood/red musk combo just sounded lovely. 
I only got red musk & fruit, definitely apricot (and it does have a funkiness to it in the beginning), not so much detecting fig. I sadly don’t smell the cherry wood, so it’s not really  attractive to me. Too fruity.

For those wanting to smell fruity, it’s an attractive and sensual scent to consider. 

I LOVE THIS!  Winey!  Grapey!  Smells dark and red and brown.  I'm a big red musk fan, and I don't know if that's what makes this smell like wine/grapes to me, but I love it.

Red musk and I have a complicated relationship, I love it, my body chemistry does not always agree. And I don't generally like smelling like most fruit.
Bottle and Wet- ehhh sweet fruity blend.
Dry- god yes the wood has come out, sexy wood and red musk layered with juicy fruit.

This is one of my favorite Shungas, and I'm happy I was able to find a bottle of it in the swaps. It's warm, dark, and juicy for sure. I love red musk, and I'm always looking out for blends that aren't just red musk - this definitely fits the bill. I love the warm cherry wood base, the combination of fig and red musk, and the brightness of the apricot.