Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Black Cherry & Oud

If you love Indole scents, this one is for you!  It is like cherry poop. 😮 I have no patience for aging to see what it becomes with time, but will follow this thread to see what joyous nonpoopy scent it becomes with some time. 

There are two categories of sniffers when it comes to Black Cherry and Oud, and I wanted to depict both for a more accurate picture of what your experience with this scent could be like. So: Science! A scent card was doused in some of this blend, allowed to dry a bit, and placed in front of a sampling of 10 people.

Results: one camp (3 people) that smells sweet candied cherry fruit, like a lollipop, when it's wet, and on the drydown has a floral ("lilac") or cleaner-scented-like-florals atmosphere, with perhaps just a tinge of farm on the breeze.

The other camp, in both blind smells and when knowing the notes, smells lots of indoles (like, the amount of indoles in fresh poo) with a drop of cherry underneath. When testing this out at Lunacy, the pooud camp was by far the majority (about 7 people). Fresh, this is a very indolic blend. It may age into something a little less ripe. I can tell you, hours later after drydown, the cherry has disappeared and it is all pungent oud. Not for me, not for me. But there is a definite minority that finds this sugary, fruity, and enjoyable. 

Oudh rating: 💩💩💩💩 (out of 5)

Edited by starbrow

Ok.....so I chanced this because I adore black cherry, and have yet to find something really cherry forward to enjoy.

This one is...interesting. I know the "poopy" tendency that oud can take, and literally when I opened the bottle, I said "Holy crap!" The initial whiff out of the bottle (fresh from delivery) was beautiful cherry, then a blast of indole. The face my husband made when sniffing the bottle was priceless. I waited a day to try it out, and the poop won easily. Scrubbed off.

I've now had it 5 days, and I notice that when I smell out of the bottle, the cherry wins. Yay! I get a lovely black cherry scent, with a smooth oud in the background. Then I put it on. Within minutes the cherry has poofed away, and all that is left is aaaalllll the oud. Scrubbed off.

I feel this is one that I need to put aside for quite a while. Knowing me, I'll still keep testing out of morbid curiousity though. But I have hope that over time these 2 notes can somehow comingle into something really nice. 

Hah, I have to agree with the other reviews so far. I'm a fan of both cherry and oud, but I've had my bottle for about a week now and the oud is ultra indolic. The cherry keeps it one step away from crossing over into full-on poop territory, but it's still way too close for comfort! I'm definitely going to let it age and see where it goes.

Feral, funky oudh with a bit of cherry sweetness, which just sort of amplifies the visceral funk. Great throw and wear length, of course.

Someone poudh in a gorgeous black cherry.

Dark cherries are my favorite flavor lately, and this black cherry is to die for, but I can't with the poop.

This smells, to me, exactly like the fancy Amarena cherries Trader Joe's gets around the holidays, that I hoard for making fancy cocktails. I only get a tiny whiff of oud - and I do love some nice stanky oud, so that's not a deterrent! I made DH smell the bottle side-by-side with the fancy cherries, to check my assessment, and he agreed. Juicy sweet syrupy fancy cocktail cherries, with a soupçon of oud undercurrent. 

Honestly I was hoping for more indoles after the previous reviews, lol - now I wonder if the people who are getting more poo than cherry on themselves, or in the bottle, would smell it that way on me? Skin chemistry is amazing and weird. But I do love this more than I would have expected out of a mainly cherry scent, and will definitely wear it.

I loved this scent.

Black Oudh/Oud works really well with my skin chemistry. I get a nice, woody incense vibe from the black oudh and the black cherry isn't as sweet as I expected.
I ended up with a rich and deep scent with a small amount of throw. This scent dried down nicely to a cherry incense that brought to mind the burgundy colors and dark decore' of a goth shop.

This cherry isn't overly sweet or candied. It is a great black cherry scent. It reminds me of the cherry in "Nimue the Blood Queen".
Lovers of dark, rich and gothy scents should give this one a try. I'm probably going to get a bottle of this one.

I love oud paired with fruits because it amplifies them and makes them more juicy. And I love black cherry - I used to buy black cherry head shop candles and incense so it's nostalgic. No poop here, how bizarre! But, now I'm afraid to wear it because so many others smell poop!?  Unfortunately I don't care for the drydown, it kind of smells like air freshener and isn't nearly so juicy cherry as at the beginning.

The cherry note, while it lasted, was lovely. But the oud just took over and turned the cherry into a baby powder like scent and poop. Fades fairly fast too, about two hours. If you love oud more than cherry, this may be for you. There wasn't enough cherry in here for my liking, and the oud just did not work well with me.