Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Cacao-Dusted Rose Petals

This is mostly a gorgeous rose note, neither too sweet nor perfumey, with the lightest hint of cacao.  The throw and staying power are moderate.

Although this has almost the same description as Une Douzaine de Roses: Quatre (Cacao-dusted red rose petals), it's not the same!  The rose in that is very full-bodied and red, the rose in this year's scent is soft and gentle. 

My very first whiff of this was glorious, perfect balance of cocoa and rose petals, like an artisan chocolate. However, when I went back to sniff test after having tested the other box of chocolate scents which were more chocolate dominant, I could no longer find anything cocoa in this blend. Then it was more a rose geranium to my nose, and a single note at that.

Dry down this blend is only rose on me. Its a youthful rose, lively and bright. Cocoa haters would enjoy this blend and like the ambiance of cocoa as a dry note, and not candied or gourmand. 

I couldn't really get any chocolate or cacao from this, wet or dry! It truly is the rose show up in this joint. Wet, there's some rose geranium tinging the traditional rose; it has that slight spiciness/spookiness that I associate with geranium. Then the drydown brings a very lovely deep red rose, velvet-petaled, perhaps dusted with something that sweetens and softens it, which my nose isn't picking up as cacao but it's less in-your-face rose than usual, so something is taming it and that must be the cacao. 

Such a romantic red rose. It doesn't really tempt me as is, but I'm not the target audience for this scent, hehe. The floral is beautiful and there is no foodiness to the cacao. When they say dusted, they really mean the lightest powdering!

Take Rose Red (the kind that is apple green stem and red rose) and dust her with some cacao. And that's what you get. Rose Red for the Yules has come out to play for Lupercalia. If you love Rose Red, give this one a whirl. She's waiting on a valentine. Great throw and wear length.

To me, the cocoa was only a whisper at long throw, sniffing my wrist I only get a slightly sharp rose. This is a delightful perfume but I didn't get strong enough chocolate. If you're shy about chocolate notes, I'd recommend but I will pass for a full bottle.

Let me start by saying that all of this year's Lupers just play so well together; I know I am going to layer the F out of this with Elizabeth of Bohemia and BRD. Anyway, today I wore it solo. In the bottle: A blast of fresh crushed rose petals, like from a florist's shop, dusted with raw Hershey's cocoa from the can. On, wet: Both notes start to develop fairly quickly; the cocoa gets a bit of sweetness and the rose starts to settle down to a gentle pink tea rose. It keeps this tone over a fairly short drydown. My only complaint is that I wish it had more wear length. It's a really lovely, sexy combo and reminds me of the precious chocolate-dipped rose petals I once saw decorating a cake somewhere a zillion years ago....

This is just sweet rose petals, no cacao or chocolate at all. Smells like red roses to me like in Mad Tea Party blends. Was very curious about the cacao so I am a bit disappointed I didn't get any of it.

It's a good rose scent all things considered, but not what I was looking for.