Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Sun Rising

Well, poop! I did not expect to be the first to review this. 

My bottle arrived Friday, so it's been resting just over 3 days. 

In the bottle: Amber and beeswax dominate, but having just acquired an amber and beeswax Yule, I can say that there is some additional busy-ness going on in The Sun Rising's background. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's mostly amber and beeswax at first, but threads of myrrh smoke soon put in a whispered appearance. As it dries, I can just pick out hints beyond the amber and beeswax. Myrrh smoke continues, interspersed with tinkles of jasmine, peppercorn, and neroli. They're each identifiable, but just for an instant. Amber and beeswax remain constant. 

It never does quite settle down for me. All the stages are very pretty, but I have a feeling this one's not yet in its final form. 

Edit 3/19 -- Tried this again just after a shower. There's something in it that makes my skin prick and redden in this circumstance. I'd bet the peppercorn. It's not enough to be bothersome, but I thought I'd note it for others.   

Edited by torischroeder9

Definitely getting that jasmine.  It's sweet and creamy, and similar to the one in "Women Copulating."  It's set against the pepper and amber, which give this a dusty undertone.  The neroli adds to the floral sweetness and adds a hint of candied orange.  The beeswax stays in the background for me, though I can tell it's in there.  

This reminds me of Alma Venus, though I think it's a bit sweeter and gentler.  It doesn't have those husky cedar undertones.  It's a lovely white floral, and I'm not getting anything harsh or soapy.  Very pretty.

As it wears, this is just becoming beautiful, creamy-sweet jasmine.  Really gorgeous.  

Edited by VetchVesper

Beeswax, jasmine, and amber. With a hint of peppercorn. This one is a complex beeswax with jasmine and hints of other things. It's definitely a sexy beeswax. Good throw and wear length.

at first i smell beeswax, jasmine and the myrrh smoke. this is a rich, heady honeyed jasmine. very pretty! i get a bit of peppercorn spice after a few minutes, then a lot of neroli and amber. i am really liking this. it's springy, yet sensual and deep. thus far my favorite of the lupercalias i've tried this year ❤️ 

Very jasmine. The beeswax is in the background, and with a hint of neroli and myrrh smoke. The peppercorn is spicing up the jasmine. This one comes across as a smush of notes competing with each other (jasmine is winning) rather than a cohesive whole. I do like the freshness of the jasmine and the neroli mingled with the resins and beeswax that this settles into a few hours into the wear time. I expect it to settle and meld more with time -- the distant dry stage is promising for that -- but it isn't there yet.

This starts off as neroli with waxy touches and slowly warms up, letting the sweetness come out. At this stage the scent's texture is gaining more mass and the jasmine slowly emerges and reigns, but doesn't shriek. Over time, the jasmine gets dusty and slowly turns indolic, unexpectedly; so there's a distant fecal vibe that stays with me for remaining life span of the drydown. Started off promising, but ended up peculiarly smelly.

This ended up, after months of testing the whole lot, being one of my favorite lupers of 2020. 

1st try was jasmine forward.  I think my senses were dampened because of the loads of testing I was doing.  A while later after this poor dear was subjected to repeated placement in the retry pile, I discovered its actually wonderful- a rich complex smoky glowing warm french botanical perfume. Truly divine and womanly. The beeswax and jasmine are perfect with the touch of smoke. Very well blended and signature. 

If this was suspended in alcohol we'd be seeing it on billboards adorned with giant bows; mascotted by mysterious looking women nodding in approval.

Dirty jasmine with dull beeswax and polluted smoke all wrapped up in some kind of nasty furniture polish. I don't often write a review like this, but my skin does not like this one at all. 

HEADS-UP! The review below is for the 2021 The Sun Rising (which explains so much ...) but I can't figure out how to take this down, so...

I got such a citrus vibe from this, but I don't know where it's coming from... neroli maybe? I love citrus notes but can never seem to get them to stick with me for long. Something in this is accomplishing that goal!

This opens as a warm, sweet citrus, very aromatic and even a little pithy. Without ever checking notes to see how left-field I was, my notes to self say "gorgeous, realistic, complex citrus layers with warmth. Bergamot, zesty, and a little fresh orange in the air."

Going back to check the notes, not sure what is lending this effect, but I really enjoy it! I love citrus smells in the morning, and I guess I'm not alone! Someone thought this citrus-vibe would be a good day-starter. Beautiful. Big bottle short list.

I (mostly) love jasmine, but didn't get much here. I don't love myrrh, also didn't get much here. No smoke.

Edited by groovyrooby
So, I didn't realize this was an annual versions thing... rewrote for the 2021 version, which IS full of citrus. That explains a lot... OPE! - and now I want to try this 2020 tho

I thought I left a review for this. 2021, it has a sharp smell to it. Probably the amber & jasmine dancing together. The peppercorn really amps this up. Neroli & myrrh smoke is very faint. I want more for this, but am probably going to trade it.

Edited by Rane.