Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Death Grapple

Lavender cola. That's what I get from The Death Grapple.

The pale lavender and sweet cola-like labdanum are the stars here, with the frozen aspect of the labdanum adding a tinge of effervescence to the scent (there's no ozone or mint here). It remains this way for several hours of wear, although I could smell traces of the white amber and vanilla sandalwood on my skin the next morning, which was a pleasant surprise.

While I bought a bottle hoping for a lavender-vanilla-sandalwood scent like The First Love Fades Too Atmo, The Death Grapple's lavender cola is actually pretty nice. A keeper!

Whoever said lavender cola has it on the nose. I would actually say its a lavender cola with an extra helping of vanilla syrup. The labdanum is very cola-resin and this ends up in an interesting sweet-foodie category for me.  If you ever wanted a cream soda with some lavender on it, this would be it. Medium throw and wear length.

Wet: Yep. Lavender and still-fizzy coke. 

Dry: I would say more labdanum (aka fizzy coke) now than lavender, but they're still both present.

This is... such an odd scent. A strange combination, but it works for me. I'm considering a bottle, but I know I'll be at least keeping my decant.

I think everyone needs to try this!

The Death Grapple, though the throw is low, has given me a solid nine hours of wear time, which is excellent for my skin chemistry.  Lavender and sandalwood are the strongest notes on me at first, then the lavender and sandalwood recede and the cola-like labdanum take center stage.  So cool vanilla labdanum grounded with herbal lavender and sandalwood.  

Wet: labdanum, lavender & vanilla amber.
Dry: the same, with a hint of sandalwood.  Delicate & a little sharp (frozen?) This one's probably for Teadaughter. 

Lavender cola, a little perfumey and chilly at first, but then increasing in cola-ness and fizziness as it dries and the labdanum comes forth.

Touches of vanilla and sandalwood after drying.

I keep trying to come up with a different way to describe this other than lavender cola, but that's exactly spot on. This smells like lavender cola. Fizzy, darkly sweet lavender. Lavender is a little unpredictable on me -- sometimes it sticks around, and other times I get a whiff of it just before it poofs into the ether. This lavender waffles for a bit and then departs, leaving just the cola. I'm not a big fan of pop, either in taste or smell, so it isn't a keeper for me, but I can see how it would be cool and refreshing, and it's definitely interesting. And if there ever were a drink that tasted how this smells, I would be willing to give it a try.

I never got lavender cola from this.

For me- Its exactly the smell of using a Lush Ice Hotel bubblebar in my 1st house in Maine- the antique victorian with its clawfoot bathtub, wide pumpkin pine floorboards with the damp stone foundation smell wafting between the cracks, a bit of dusty radiator and rich maine soil.

That's why its a winner. 

The high note ('frozen' or fuzziness of the labdanum?) is a little sharp for me, but this is still a pretty, unique scent.