Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Red Patchouli, Nutmeg & Oudh

Sampled this at lunacy yesterday. Not very indolic at all, no fecal to this oud. Which is perfect because the patchouli is dry and super dank. The nutmeg adds a nice “grit” to the scent. Super interesting trio, so basic and yet so good. Would love to slather this on a dude. 

Red patchouli, Nutmeg and Oudh is definitely oudh, but definitely not black oudh.  It's not barnyard; it's deep and rich and very grown-up, and it's a perfect foil for the dry red patchouli.  Just these two strong, self-confident notes (I honestly struggled to find the nutmeg) twining together, and yet it's not simple because the notes themselves are so complex.  It has oudh-level throw, too, at least for the first hour or so, after which I did get a hint of nutmeg, but just a hint, because this is femme fatale, not spice cabinet.  The woman who wears this does not bake apple crisp.  Gorgeous now, and I bet it will be phenomenal in a couple years.  

I gambled on a bottle of this because it should age divinely, and all those notes are win - as long as the oudh decides to behave. 

... And it does. :) Dry, rich, woody incense. Glorious.  I will be stowing this one away, like a fine wine, to revel in later.