Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Leather, Black Tea & Clove

This one is called Leather, Black Tea, and Clove, but on me, it is more like Clove, Black Tea, and Leather. The clove is the star here throughout wear, and it's a non-cinnamon-y variety, backed by a prominent, non-anise-like black tea note, followed by a bit of slightly sharp, but not chemical-y black leather. Very goth, and much more pleasant than I thought it would be.

I will be hanging on to my decant. :cthulhu: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

Leather, Black Tea and Clove on me is a clove-spiced tea -- not chai, there's no milkiness or other spices -- with a subdued leather note, and the whole thing is a tiny bit soapy.  Like a high-end gentlemen's soap that you'd pay a lot of money for in a quirky boutique.  It lasts really well on me, and it put me in mind of a very clean pirate.  But I was hoping for more leather and no soap at all. 

at the beginning it's mostly black tea with just a little hint of clove in it. it's fresher than i would've thought. on me the black tea note remains the strongest and i do finally get some leather after being on the skin 30 minutes+ but it's a soft suedey leather, not a strong one at all. i really love this leather too, just wish there was more of it!

This smelled harsh in the bottle when I first got it, so I set it aside for a few weeks.  Now it reminds me of a black tea that I own that's scented/flavored with bergamot oil.  It smells like the dry tea, a little smoky, slightly bitter and very citrusy-lemony with only a teensy hint of dusty leather.  After two hours of wear, all of that has disappeared and I'm left with a dry, spicy, sweet clove single note.  I love clove, so that works for me.

Clove tea and a whiff of leather. This is basically an amped up on steroids black tea for me. Masculine, definitely. Love the dry spice clove throughout though. Medium throw and wear length.

In the bottle, the first impression is clove, then soft leather, then black tea. The leather might stand out to me more because this reminds me a fair bit of Dead Leaves, Raw Leather, Bourbon Vanilla, & Clove, and so that leather/clove combo is familiar to me. Comparing what's in the bottle to how it fared on my skin, there's a slight sweetness in the bottle that gets lost on my skin. This doesn't morph significantly otherwise, staying mostly clove-forward with black tea (no milk or other spices here) and leather. It's definitely a soft, worn leather note, not the sharp smell you can sometimes get with black leather notes. This does lean a bit more traditionally masculine, but will definitely be putting it in my rotation come fall.

At first, this is definitely all about the clove. The tea comes into play on the drydown, and it has a chai-esque vibe. The leather is soft, and understated. I will echo that I definitely want to see more from the leather, but this is overall a lovely clove-forward blend.

Oooh wee this is goth af  🦇

Fresh from the bottle it's a clean clove cigarette fresh out the box. BIG push of clove out front, but softened a bit by the tea. As it dries the leather pokes out a bit more but this is still very clove-and-tea forward as others have said. I will echo that I want more leather from this. I'm reminded a lot of the leather note in Leather, Indigo Incense, and Red Amber. I compared it to Dragon's Hide there and it's the same here. It's subtle. I keep reaching for more of that note but it's a bit shy. The sillage is straight lit Djarum, but up close and huffing I'm getting more of the other notes and I'm here for that. Up close it's very sexy and smoky and skin-hot, but when I pull away my nose holds the memory of clove to the amnesia of the others.

I do like this and will probably hold onto the decant because this is a MOOD, but not sure I need to hunt a bottle. It's a lot of clove and my brain still wrestles with the association of Nu Skin.