Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Mahogany, Wood Moss, & Smoke

This is so yummy and I blind bottled. Mahogany is a favorite note of mine and this doesn't disappoint. I am not sure I get wood moss, but, this does seem like a forestry blend in that there is the dry smoke in the background.  Its not wet at all or BBQ. It is more acrid. There is no sweetness to the smoke. I think the smoke when sweet is what can be interpreted as BBQ.There is no metal in this but I *swear* I get something gleaming. Maybe thats the wood moss? Really lovely and glad to own it. 

MWM&S reads as a smooth, nature-wood cologne to me. It's not perfumey, yet I keep coming back to a cologne impression when I sample it, especially during the early phase.

I get mahogany, general woodsiness, and a mild, dry smoke, well blended and balanced. It's lovely, really.

I just keep thinking cologne, which isn't what I'm drawn to these days. The blend does have a cologne's longer life on my skin.

I got LOTS of smoke from Mahogany, Wood Moss and Smoke, especially initially.  It was very similar to the smoke in Chestnuts and Hearth Smoke from last year's Yules, and this may be a note that amps on me because there too it was all smoke, little chestnut, although the balance is improving with age as it probably will do here as well.  Eventually the smoke in MWM&S mellows down and I get the smooth mahogany and dry moss.  This one tips masculine and outdoorsy, with good wear length.  A little too smoky on me initially, but really nice.  

Woods and smoke. There's something here, which I think is the wood moss, that adds a note of aquatic freshness to the mahogany that ends up coding like the chemicalness that I tend to associate with black leather, so this is more of a mahogany leather blend on me. Great throw and wear length.

I mostly get the mahogany and moss, the later of which has a damp, alive forest quality to it. The smoke comes out more in the dry down and thankfully it doesn't go bonfire or charred wood on me. It's nice and dry. I get a slight impression of leather in there somewhere. The whole thing really captures the feeling of being in a quiet forest. I love it. 

I just got this in the mail so it hasn't quite settled yet, but I am already quite happy with it. After an initial strong smoke opening, it recedes as it dries down to mostly mahogany and moss. The moss is doing a beautiful job of cushioning the often-problematic bitey edges of the mahogany. The smoke lingers in the background gently cradling the whole blend, but this is not a vetiver or barbecue kind of smoke at all and on me it isn't pushy or assertive. 

I can see this being a nice entry point to BPAL for folks who wear like masc, woodsy cologne. The sillage has a men's-body-wash-adjacent quality to it (it reminds me how many masc scents use a lot of these same notes) but getting in close is where the complexity comes back. I think it would be easy to add some interesting dimension to this with layering.

This is a wonderful companion to the Dead Leaves, Black Amber and Woodmoss HG from the 2019 Weenies that I have been rationing.