Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Waltzing Matilda

Wow that's some earthy AF fig! It has a sharp edge that cuts through the dusty vanilla bean. It smells like a fig left out in the hot sun. I think it's a little too sharp for me right now but I bet in 6 months it will be lovely.

Sampled from my sister's bottle. Elegant vanilla bean with a tart, greenish fig that sort of overlays the vanilla at first. I really like this one; it's simple, but very pretty.  

I have no idea why this was such a fail on me. I searched through my entire perfume database. The Lab's fig and the Lab's vanilla bean both work fine on me in multiple blends. This was gross dry slightly brackish grass with a little Fig Newton in the background. No vanilla at all.

The cause is important, so I don't regret buying the blind bottle, but why, skin, why? Why you gotta do me like this?

A ton of dry vanilla, whiff of grass, and figs. Good if you're into vanilla, and don't mind this not being the foodie kind. Medium throw and wear length.

So I must amp fig because this is all fig on me with only the lightest dusting of vanilla. It also has a sort of perfumey edge that I do not prefer in my perfumes, so I will likely pass the decant on.

This is a dusty, sweet, slightly nutty scent.  I guess it's sweet in the way nuts are sweet, which is a little earthy and a little fatty.  This is not a gourmand vanilla - it smells more like the bean pod after you've scraped the seeds out.  This fig isn't the normal powdery sweet fig I'm used to.  It is just a little sweet.  

I had a similar experience as soupy twist. It's like a green fig, and possibly grass. Or something earthy that is starting to decompose. I can see "dead leaves" fans, who don't want a foodie experience, really digging this.

Before drydown, I get green fig, dry, non-foodie vanilla (think vanilla husk), and the earthy component that others have noted. My skin seems to really amp the fig, as it gets strong and significantly sweeter as the scent dries down. My skin eats it up almost entirely after a few hours. Overall impression is a slightly dusty, earthy-sweet fig scent.

Edited by puellacaerulea

Waltzing Matilda has such a weird wet phase. It starts out really gourmand, kind of nutty, then it quickly shifts into an almost spicy note. It’s reminiscent of a bell pepper, yet not. Must be the earthy note mentioned by others...
In the drydown it totally transforms into a perfumey dry vanilla with a bit of fig. I like it. Even in its wet phase, I’m compelled to keep sniffing my arm to figure out what is going on. I like a scent that keeps me interested. 

In the Bottle:
Green and tart fig with a backing of musky vanilla

On the Skin:
As in the bottle but very tart which I like.  The vanilla picks up fairly quickly and it's  a perfumey vanilla as opposed to foody.

On the Drydown:
Drydown is linear, remaining zingy with a backing of vanilla musk.  Overall,  the blend is quite perfumey.  I love it.

I gave this one a few months to settle, but it still isn't working for me.  I usually love the lab's fig notes and vanilla is my favorite scent ever, but Waltzing Matilda is sharply fruity (like sour blackberries) and soapy on me.  It makes me think of tart fruity-floral shampoo and sour berries.  Reminds me a little of Miller Vs. California, but soapy and sharper.

In the bottle: Dusty fig-tree roots.

Wet: Sweet vanilla, pulpy fig flesh, and milky sap.

Dry: Gloriously figgy, like the proverbial pudding, with a soft wash of vanilla.

I'd guess this is a fairly long-lived scent (I had to shower at the 8 and a half hour mark), with a solid medium throw. I love it as a fig-heavy fragrance, although I would probably reach just a little more quickly for Strangler Fig - an all time fave - or Love and Sleep.

Stars: ★★★★½

Fresh on, this smells like oatmeal with raisins (minus the milk).

It's a bit dry, almost like a cake or something... nutty? Or even hay?

It definitely has some "baked goods" quality to it, but it's not doing the weird celery thing that's normally the case with my skin.

I can smell the dark fruitiness that comes across as very earthy and sugary - you know, like dried fig, not really the juicy and fruity kind that I was expecting.

After drydown, I am left with a dark fruity scent that has a vague dry quality to it. If it's vanilla, then it's more of a vanilla husk than the creamy gourmand kind.

If you take a bowl or dried figs and think "make that into a perfume", maybe that's what you will get from it?

It's not a very complex scent and also not super interesting to smell over a longer period of time.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, torikitty said:

I can see "dead leaves" fans, who don't want a foodie experience, really digging this.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, artisjok said:

It starts out really gourmand, kind of nutty, then it quickly shifts into an almost spicy note. It’s reminiscent of a bell pepper, yet not. 

Belatedly reviewing my decant. No change with ageing.

I agree with Torikitty & Artisjok that the bell-pepper-esqe note in Dead Leaves is part of this blend. Unfortunately, my skin amps that note, so the balance of the blend is thrown off.

It's a lot greener than I was expecting. I get hints of how it might be awesome on somebody else, but I can only enjoy this blend in a locket. Glad I got to try it, don't need a bottle.