Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

No One is Above the Law

A burst of sunlight dissolving the smoke-thick thunderclouds of corruption, hubris, greed, and cruelty: golden amber, sweet bergamot, fresh cut grass, broom flower, hay, orange blossom honey, labdanum, red benzoin, and vanilla.

I was hesitant about this one because of the hay - even in tiny amounts, hay can ruin a scent for me.   

But I couldn’t resist, and it’s gorgeous.  It reminds me very strongly of another scent, but I can’t put my finger on it.  Super helpful, I know.   

Wet, I get mostly amber, bergamot, and red benzoin, with all the other notes being supporting players, creating a golden, almost creamy scent.  It’s very bright and uplifting while remaining warm and comforting.   The honey doesn’t really stand out in this, but I think it’s adding to the creaminess.  But I can definitely tell it’s orange blossom honey - there is almost an orange blossom note.   As it dries down, the orange blossom shines more - but I’m still not getting the honey part of it.  But orange blossom honey smells more of orange blossom than honey to me anyway.   

So... golden and bright, sweet without being foody or perfumey, with clear notes of amber and orange blossom.   I think it will deepen and sweeten as it ages.   It’s lovely now, but I think it will be gorgeous in a few months.   

Honestly, this is gorgeous. Creamy citrus, honey, grass, and amber. UGH. I may need more of this in my life. Good throw and wear length.

This one ticks off all the boxes for me.  Starting off with a golden citrus note that I am guessing is the bergamot.   Here it's less cologne and more like sweet nectar orange,  like peeling a sweet orange.  I think that's probably the orange blossom Honey in support. That sweet orange top note never lasts on my thirsty skin but what it lacked in duration it made up for in amplitude.  All you orange lovers take note. 

The heart of this is really too seamless to pick apart notes but it has that sweet benzoin amber vanilla base with a golden amber.  I don't mean to start a stampede but this amber vanilla just glows.  I can still smell it 12 hours later on my skin too.  (Without silage mind you but in my experience that improves with aging. ) This is going to age magnificently. 

Best of all,  this smells like the sun coming out on a cloudy day.  It smells like your heart filling with the happiness and glow of justice. 

Edited by sprout

In the decant: Bright, sunny citrus, grass, amber, and hay -- it's kind of like Songs of Autumn IV, but with the addition of fresh greenness from the grass notes. As it dries down, the bergamot settles down and takes a backseat to the amber and honey, but doesn't fade entirely. The vanilla's there, but it's mostly hanging out in the background and adding some extra creaminess. This is fantastic -- bright, golden, and sunny. Definitely getting a full bottle.

Very sweet and golden.  The orange blossom honey is front and center, my skin is throwing it hard going on 6 hours now.  Unfortunately, all the other notes are lost on me but the orange blossom honey is beautiful.

This smells as great as everyone else notes, but once it hits my skin, there's something floral that turns and takes over. I'm going to guess the bergamot or broom flower. So, there's also these beautiful notes, but the amber and the acrid floral note are what dominate on me.

After a while, the floral note goes away. It ends up being a strong amber on me.

Edited by torikitty

Blind bottled this based on the previous reviews, and I’m happy to say they’re on the mark. This IS a very creamy, golden scent. “Seamless” is another word I’m gonna shamelessly steal from above - it’s so well-blended that no note really stands out above the others to me, not even the amber, which I usually amp like a goth-curious 90s teen who finally built up the nerve to visit the local headshop.  

I can pick out the honey and a non-stabby floral that must be orange blossom, as well as a resinous amberish vanilla-ey something, but tbh I think that’s only because y’all told me they were in here. Nothing in here really speaks hay to me or grass to me, but this scent does feel reminiscent of other sweet, creamy hay and grass blends like Thrice-Plowed Field, so they’re probably in there and my inferior nose just can’t sniff them out.   

Idk if it’s just the season, but this has big Shunga energy to me - the sweet creaminess makes me think it could be a Vulva in another, brighter timeline, one where Beth didn’t have to make gorgeous activism scents to help carry us through the dark. 

Edited by sailthetethys