Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Aristotle Beard Oil

Oddly, the label on the bottle that I received lists the description for the Socrates perfume oil instead: "Inspired by anointing oils used in the philosopher’s time after partaking in public baths: orris root, ambergris accord, frankincense, olive blossom, black fig, and marjoram."

Is that what's in the bottle? I feel like it might be, but then I doubt my nose. I do pick up the powderiness of orris and what I think is the fruitiness of the fig, but a good frankincense can have powdery/fruity qualities as well, so...idk? Not sure whether the website is wrong or the label.

Whatever it is, it's certainly pleasant. At 18 months on T, I don't have a lot of beard yet (and it's all mostly on my neck so I shave it anyway), so I can't really comment on that aspect. I do like it a lot as a light post-shave moisturizer! It sinks in quickly, doesn't aggravate acne, and the scent is very smooth. Suave, herbal yet soft, quite unisex. If the amount of scent in the hair glosses is too much for you (I always found them overwhelming), the beard oils might be more your speed.

Like the reviewer above, my bottle had the copy for Socrates, but I suspect this is a misprint because I'm definitely getting sage as the herbal. The juniper here also smells like it has the berries on right now, but the somewhat sweet and fruity frankincense and aromatic sage are the predominant notes to me.

The formulation is lovely and I'm very excited to have more variety in my BPAL beard oils.