Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Coffee Bean, Indonesian Vetiver, Black Oud, & Patchouli

Bottle: Very very smooth, none of the notes are punching each other out.

Wet: Coffee grubbied up with patchouli, very slight earthiness from the vetiver, barely any oud.

Dry: More of the vetiver has come forward, still not much oud. 

I like this one a lot, although I'm surprised the coffee isn't more of a presence - I'm thinking it was just blanketed by the heavier notes. It'll be interesting to see how this ages!

Black coffee, and smoky patchouli, with a hint of vetiver. No oudh for me, which makes me super happy. This is a coffee-patchouli blend on me. Smooth, dark, comforting. Medium throw and wear length.

Here's my love/hate relationship with oudh: my favorite BPALs have it, and my least favorite have it. It's either creamy resiny perfection, or it's heavily indolic.

For me, Coffee Bean Indonesian et al...was HEAVILY INDOLIC. This is everything I was afraid of, because what beautiful dark notes surround this coffee, it really should be amazing. Alas, this had a feral edge in the bottle and once on the skin, the barnyard indoles hung around for an hour. I hated every minute of it and had to wash it off. Once washed, it is a nice patchouli and vetiver, but those notes you can get elsewhere without paying the price of pooudh and scrubbing your skin raw.

A hard pass, sadly.

Oudh rating: 💩💩💩💩💩

I applied this at lunacy and scrubbed within three minutes. Pure fecal. However, magic happened after I washed. The fecal washed away and left this gorgeous coffee sweetened with patchouli and vetiver. The coffee was so smooth I would even say “blonde”. It smelled so lovely on my skin that ^starbrow slathered.  I would guess that for those with the patience for aging are going to wind up with the beautiful scent I had when I did a quick wash (I did not use soap, I only water rinsed and towel dried because I was skin testing other blends and wanted to see how those dried down). Really lovely and everyone who smelled my hand flipped about it. However, I have no patience for aging. :( 

First whiff: Ahhh, coffee beans/vetiver/patch I love you. You belong with me. Be mine, for now and always...

Second whiff: Poudh! Nooo...

Third whiff: [...] Did that work? Can denial make poo oudh go away, just this once?

The oudh has merged back into the rest of the blend on my chemistry. I can find it, but I don't mind it. 

Without it, though, it was magic. 

Alas, no bottle, then.

Oh yes, pooudh!  But, miracle of miracles, it doesn't stick around much past the first few minutes. What's left once the stank wears off is a very heavy, dark, black, sophisticated coffee/vetiver/patch blend. Pooudh is still there lurking but not shouty and awful like it is in Snake's Shadow, et al.

Unfortunately this kind of oudh is way too strong on me, and after the drydown my body chemistry hijacks the whole blend into old-fashioned cologne/aftershave. It's too overwhelming and perfumey for me to want to keep wearing, however promising the middle stage was.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

The coffee in this blend is more subdued than most of the other Kaffeeklatsch blends.  I do get a bit of oud manure, but not as much as I often do in blends, so if oud's not usually problematic for you, this should be fine.  Everything is extremely well blended.  There's something almost deeply fruity that I can smell, which is in unexpected. I almost get a dark chocolate covered fruit vibe.  There's a slight harshness and earthiness from the vetiver, but I don't really get patchouli.  I'm sure it's in there, adding depth and warmth, but everything kind of melds together for me.  This will probably age beautifully and I suspect the oud will mellow.  

Edited by VetchVesper

In the bottle: Thick, spicy, slightly earthy coffee.

Wet on my skin: Thick, sweet, spicy, slightly earthy roasted coffee beans. 

Dry: First, I should say that oudh, vetiver, and patchouli are all notes that almost invariably work well with my skin chemistry. Patchouli is the second most common note in my bottle collection, behind vanilla, and both oudh and vetiver have very healthy representation as well. So, this scent pretty much was guaranteed to be a winner on me. AND IT IS. It's absolutely gorgeous. A rich, sweet, almost chocolatey or caramelized black coffee with spicy oudh and smoky vetiver, and a layer of earthy patchouli beneath the rest. It is definitely a sexy scent, probably best suited for dates or post-dates. IfyouknowwhatImean. The only possible negative I can find with it is that it's somewhat short-lived on my moisture-sucking skin, but I don't mind reapplying since it's just. so. gooooood. Yummy.