Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Gingerbread, Honey Dust, & Vanilla Bean

This was a sweet one to test at lunacy. Gourmand, but not cake. It dies down to a lot of honey, so you have to be a honey lover like I am. However, I amped Cinnamon in this. I sometimes wonder if I just amp every sort of spice and think it’s cinnamon but I know it wasn’t ginger. The vanilla was a nice addition here and the lab used it beautifully in all the yules. All of the vanilla was foodie that I smelled, and a foodie cream at that. Yum! However, if you also amp cinnamon' gingerbread candy floss is the way to go. It was not spice dominant at all. 

Adorable! My exact words upon sniffing: "This is really cute." Light, sweet, and nicely gingerbread cookie-ish with a very happy dusting of vanilla and soft honey. I always have to sniff a honey note to know if it is a "kind" one to my nose, since sometimes it can shoot up like a spike right to my sinuses and other times it's lovely. This one is lovely. If I didn't have plenty of gingerbread already, this might be a contender. It's so nicely rounded, with no one note dominating. There is definitely cinnamon in here, but it's in harmony with everything else. I think for me, I like the more unusual gingerbread blends, but I can thoroughly recommend this one to a more traditional sweets lover.

Edited by starbrow

Honey, cream, and a light gingerbread cookie. I get mainly gingerbread honey and dollops of cream. Good throw and wear length.

I'm not a big honey fan, but I'm liking this. Mostly gingerbread and honey. The honey (and the vanilla bean I think) deepens the gingerbread spices. Smells like a more spicy gingerbread house, and dare I suggest, almost more sophisticated, while still being a true gingerbread scent.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab

Preconceived notions:

There's a small part of me that's wondering why I ordered this...what I'm hoping to accomplish here.  I love the Lab's gingerbread scents (Gingerbread Sin is a particular favorite) and I like vanilla bean just fine.  Honey is something I'm indifferent to for the most part, but I'm curious about the "honey dust" here.  I've seen/tasted/smelled something with a similar name before, but I'm not sure if that's what I should be expecting here.  Honestly, I guess I'm just sort of expecting to get extra sweet gingerbread, now that I'm really thinking about it. :mellow:

First sniff:

When I got this fresh in the mail, it was like someone took Gingerbread Poppet and toned down the intense spiciness.  That was it.  No honey that I could smell and a slight sweetness from the vanilla bean if anything.  After letting it set, the honey and vanilla bean do come out more, but the "toned-down Gingerbread Poppet" vibe I was getting continues.

Wet on skin:

Starting to get some honey here, but it's not like the "honey dust" I encountered in the past.  It's like regular honey: syrup.  But it's mostly gingerbread still.

Dry down:

The honey syrup turned into honey dust!  Depending on how heavily I applied this (some areas got more than others), I got almost a good balance between all three notes (though the vanilla bean sort of camouflaged itself a little bit behind the other two notes, adding a little sweetness to each without really standing out as vanilla) or nothing but a very faint hint of honey dust.  This one needs to be applied heavier than a lot of my other scents, but I wouldn't call it a truly light scent, either.  It didn't hang around particularly great, but it didn't entirely disappear, either.

The bottom line:

I like this.  I do.  But I have to seriously contemplate whether my collection has a place for a(n essentially) "sweetened" gingerbread scent when I already have a plain gingerbread scent and a couple others that are more complex.  I don't have any sweet single notes to layer over my others so for now it stays, I think.  TIme will tell if it's a long-term relationship.