Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Gingerbread, Fir, Myrrh, & Mahogany

Mahogany, myrrh, a whiff of gingerbread and fir. This is mainly a resinous mahogany blend (meaning resins and wood), with whiffs of fir and gingerbread to keep it in the Yule category. Medium throw and wear length.

On me, this is mostly fir backed by gingerbread spices, with the resins becoming more noticeable with wear. While I appreciate the fir note, the resins end up being a bit sharp on me (kind of like polished wood? I am thinking it is a dark variety of myrrh here, not a softer variety like the kind in Bastet).

I don't dislike it, but I think I would like it more if there were a sweet note in this to help smooth things over.

Overall: gingerbread and mahogany duo. Upon first application, I get a mix of gingerbread, fir, and mahogany. As it wears, the mahogany comes out more and more and I smell pine less and less. I can't pick out the myrrh, but I think it's mellowing out the mahogany so it doesn't smell as strongly of wood polish. Not for me, I was hoping for more of a fir scent.

On the wand, this is mostly a ginger-edged fir and mahogany blend to me. I don't get baked goods from it there, but...

On my skin, it becomes lots of gingerbread instead. The fir and mahogany are now the minor players.

I don't notice myrrh at all until drydown, when it starts to peer out. It adds a resinous tone that blends well into the mahogany and spices, not pulling much attention to itself. The baked goods scent lingers but isn't as striking once this has dried.

This is an interesting blend that is definitely working better after some settling than it did when it first arrived.

Brown spices, bread, woods and resins mixed in with the fir. This is an unusual combo I could see someone wear to a holiday pageant, maybe dressed as a gingerbread person with those striped socks and mitten hands. The polished mahogany note comes on strong after a few minutes, like spicy, shiny wood with the a tiny bit of evergreen myrrh smoldering below. 

Gingerbread, Fir, Myrrh and Mahogany has had over half a year's aging in its decant now, though my experience is similar to Casablanca's from late January.  It starts out all gingerbread on me, with the fir and mahogany lurking underneath and no appreciable myrrh.  After about an hour, the blend has balanced out significantly.  It's still gingerbread first of all, but it's sharing space with forest and polished woods, and there's an undertone of gentle myrrh.  I quite like this -- it's kind of a masculine gingerbread, like the gingerbread man managed to hide out safely in a cottage in the woods and become a lumberjack.