Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Winter Trees

A liquid moon gliding through gaunt branches, illuminating the first quiet buds of spring: pale yellow amber and verbena, snow-covered maple and oak, a scattering of fir needles, and tiny snowdrop petals.

That verbena is a very bright, cheerful top note. Yellow is the scent-color to pay note to! If you're looking for a buoyant snow, hinting hopefully at spring, I could see this being a contender. Not my cup of tea at all but I didn't expect it to be :D 

Edited by starbrow

Wet: Slightly musty verbena. I was reminded very strongly of the scent of lemon gummy bears! Deep yellow.

Dry: A light sweet amber, almost crossing into vanilla lemon cookies. Pastel yellow. Slightly cool-toned, but not minty (the snowdrops, perhaps?)

An hour later emerging is a slightly smoky-resiny base that could be the tree notes.. lingering echoes of last week's service in the chapel. Brown.

Interesting, but I don't think I'll reach for this too often.

Bottle: Primarily verbena grounded by pale woods.

Wet: Lots of lightly sweetened verbena over a wood base with small flickers of fir.

Dry: Sweetened woods with a tiny dash of fir. The verbena lightened up considerably once dry.

A pale yellow-green scent, perfect for the end of winter. This is quite a change of pace from my typical earthy scents, but it's soft and cheery. 

Cool, wintry lemon verbena. Lots of it.

Then, with the vanilla from the amber, I also have this crossing into lemon-iced vanilla cookie land. Snowy lemon-iced cookies. This is quite sweet and sugary compared with the lemony woods I imagined on reading the notes.

Once Winter Trees dries, the woods begin to peer out, almost shyly. The blend becomes sweet and sugary lemon woods, which is more or less how it remains for me for the remainder of its life.

Take a pine tree, dip it in lemon sugar, and sprinkle it with crushed snowdrops, maple and additional flower petals. 

Conversely, take a pine tree and give it a sunny yellow dress. 

Great throw and wear length. Lemony, sugary, pine. 

Happy trees, as Bob Ross would say.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, zankoku_zen said:

Take a pine tree, dip it in lemon sugar, and sprinkle it with crushed snowdrops, maple and additional flower petals. 

Conversely, take a pine tree and give it a sunny yellow dress. 

Great throw and wear length. Lemony, sugary, pine. 

Happy trees, as Bob Ross would say.

I am pretty sure zankoku_zen hit this spot on, especially with that final line - "Happy trees, as Bob Ross would say."

This was very pleasant, all bright lemon and sunshine at the start. For me, this began as a daytime scene and softened to the liquid moonlight, leaving me with this peaceful quiet, sweet scent that was just a breath of florals against the quiet woods. The lemony verbena took a backseat to this softer, lovely scent that brought to mind my beloved Vernal Equinox Full Moon.

I am definitely grabbing myself a full bottle.

I agree with what's above about a sugary lemony tree! After a year of aging, though, a bit more of the other woods are coming out dimming the brightness of the verbena. Still yellow, but darker, and less fir than before. 

It seems more like the description of a "liquid moon gliding through gaunt branches" now, whereas before it got stuck in lemony sugary candy forest for me.