Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Pomegranate

Pomegranate can sometimes be bright and juicy...no, but this one is dark, smooth, rich. The glittering amber is shimmery and resiny, like many of BPAL's shining ambers in their more glassy, "mirrored" scents. I regret not having any room to skin-test the very unassumingly named Pomegranate, and I hope to acquire a decant and maybe more before this sleeping beauty slips away.

Pomegranate turns toward the unexpected: a prominent, perfumey amber and what seems like a wood-grainy sandalwood or other woods. Musk-perfumed, gold-resinous woods.

The pomegranate is very much a minor player in this ensemble as it plays on my skin.

This is the smell of when you first open a pomegranate without spilling any juice.  A somewhat earthy fruit.  There's a promise of tartness, but it's really more of a tease.  Then there's a dark, not really sweet, not really powdery, not golden at all, amber.  It isn't a very strong perfume, but it lasts forever.  12 hours later it's become soap. 

Definitely not what I expected to get from Pomegranate! It’s like, if there was a leather made of dried pomegranate, and it’s wrapped around those shards of amber. Dark, subtle and smooth, yet perfumey. Not juicy on me in the slightest. I can see the velvet analogy. I’m loving it! 

update: in the late drydown, a vetiver note peeks out... yum for me. 

Edited by artisjok

In the decant: Very amber-forward. I can detect a hint of smooth, round fruit behind it. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's amber so deep I understand the comparisons to leather. As it dries, the deep, rounded fruit of the pomegranate comes out just a little, almost as if shards of amber were reflecting pomegranate back at someone. The pomegranate might be the reflection on the surface, but the solidity of the scent is the amber. 

It doesn't morph on me after that. My personal jury is out on this one. It's great and darker than I expected. Will need to test it again to decide if it warrants a bottle.  

Edit: Just about an hour after I finished writing this, the scent has started to fade rather quickly on my skin. If this holds true next time I test it, it will likely rule itself out of bottle contention on account of wearlength -- but not because the scent itself isn't fabulous. 

Edited by torischroeder9

I was thinking Pomegranate might be a good layering scent.  I was wrong.  It is a fully rounded perfume all on its own.  It starts with dark pomegranate, which never goes too sweet on me here, and elegant amber. This feels like a classic, old-fashioned perfume that just happens to have a pomegranate component.  It's rich and sophisticated with good throw, though the wear life is maybe a little shy of average.  I have a burgundy velvet dress that this is going to be smashing with.